Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My 1JZ Overhaul/Swap into a '92 SC 300

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 08:08 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1JZ Overhaul/Swap into a '92 SC 300

Edit: New updates, APRIL 1st 2013!

Hello all, I've been on these forums for some time, mostly reading, and posting on occasion. I cannot stress enough how helpful these forums are to Lexus owners, and how supportive the Club Lexus community is. A big thank you to everyone here who has made contributions of not only input, but time, money, and research. Moderators, you do a great job of keeping this place a favorite of mine, and Search function, I <3 you.

Here is the rundown.

'92 SC 300 5 speed, bought it back in '04

Parts List:

Soarer auto TT front clip('94 I believe), complete harness. BLITZ access ecu (came with clip),

Driftmotion 60-1 Turbo kit .70AR,
HKS Cam gears,
OEM Toyota Oil pump
Walbro 255LPH inline fuel pump,
DM Intercooler piping 2.5"
DM FMIC,
driftmotion pulleys(not crank)
greddy turbo timer
walbro 255 in tank pump
arp head studs/bolts
toyota overhaul gasket set
oem timing belt,
mkiv throttle cable,
tt water pump/toyota thermostat
2jz oil pump
Brian Crower 264 1jz cams
TiAL blow off valve
DM Fuel Rail
Bosch 750cc high imp inj
Koyo Aluminum radiator
Aeromotive AFPR
Mk III R154 from DM w/ shifter extension, fully rebuilt by Marlin Crawler with new oem & upgraded parts
Beech Short shifter
OEM R154 Flywheel
Southbend clutch with upgraded r154 pp

The engine I received was fairly filthy and had a good amount of sludge under the valve covers, so I had to get things taken care of. I just received the cylinder head from the machine shop, they installed new valve seals and inspected / cleaned it up. Took off the oil pans, the pistons, crank and rods all look in great shape, minimal sludge, mainly on the pickup and the bottom of the pan. I degreased and resprayed the block black (notice the overspray :P). It's not the cleanest 1JZ out there, but i'm happy with it.

Pic of head. 1jz headgasket and arp studs installed:

yes, that's a magnetic pick up tool on the oil filter assy. :P

Parts mess...intake mani, downpipe, harness etc haha.

Picture of the twins

front turbo

rear turbos housing is blackened somewhat, here is a closeup. wondering if it was smoking or not, input appreciated.

Misc parts collection...the other, much larger collection from the clip is stowed away in the garage.

and another pic of the engine...

anyway that's my progress so far, i've got a good amount of work still to do, but it's coming along and should go smooth from here on out. I will post more pics of the progress as I get closer to completion. Also I will put up some 'before' pics to show you all how filthy the head looked from the previous owner in Japan neglecting his oil changes.

Hope you guys enjoy! Comments, input, insults, constructive criticism, haters, ALL WELCOME

Last edited by codetoad; 04-12-13 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-22-09, 09:06 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Looking good welcome to boost.
Old 06-23-09, 05:55 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking good man ,more pics when u get a chance.
Old 07-24-09, 09:43 PM
nnivlemm
Driver School Candidate

I hope everything does go smoothly, but when does it ever ol. I just ordered a 1jz today so i will be in your boat pretty soon. Good luck
Old 07-24-09, 11:17 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Thanks guys, more pics coming soon..not too much to update although i've done some more work on it and i've ordered some more parts. Still busting my butt every day trying to make extra $$$ to throw at this thing but it'll all be worth it soon! (I hope!) i just need to find some free time so i can finish it up and have this beast ready!
Old 08-03-09, 02:30 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

new pics..

cams, water pump, and some seals installed

parts washer, where all the cleaning goes down

Last edited by codetoad; 08-03-09 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-03-09, 03:41 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Keep us posted...
Old 08-04-09, 07:35 AM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow very nice.
Old 08-05-09, 12:02 AM
codetoad
Lead Lap

parts came in.. tks driftmotion

Old 08-05-09, 11:34 AM
codetoad
Lead Lap

thats definitely a lexus key in the last pic laying on my desk lol...snuck in there on me
Old 08-05-09, 11:54 AM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Dude, you have your own parts washer. Serious about cleaning eh?
Old 08-05-09, 12:18 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Oh yeah. Hard to find some good 'ol solvents for it though. Everyones gone green nowadays and the 'good stuff' is toxic and not environmentally friendly. I have to use the deep purple concentrate in it from O'reillys.., the stuff that makes your nails soft and slimy. I always forget to wear gloves :P

Last edited by codetoad; 08-05-09 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-05-09, 02:37 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

HAHA I know what you mean the shop I am using has some weird stuff in theirs.
Old 02-12-11, 05:00 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Updates!

NEW PARTS

Driftmotion 60-1 Turbo kit .70AR
HKS Cam gears
New Toyota Oil pump
Another Walbrro 255LPH inline fuel pump
Intercooler piping
bunch of other stuff

http://s629.photobucket.com/albums/u...-52-13_631.jpg

http://s629.photobucket.com/albums/u...-36-13_154.jpg

I know it's been quite a while since i've updated. I've had to put my 1JZ build on hold, due to school, but i'm at the point now where I can afford to go all out on this project.

The base plan is 500whp, with the intention of a lot more later, but for now that is plenty. I'm not one to waste money on stuff i don't need, but I will make sure I have EVERYTHING i need to get this thing started, and everything must be great quality. Almost everything i purchase now wont need to be upgraded later, when i want more out of the car.

Many times I have thought about how I should of started this project with a 2JZ-GTE, instead of the 1JZ-GTE, but, I have come to like the fact that this is the JDM engine, so to me it's like building a Soarer, a car that is worthy to be made fast itself. Also note that I have a 2JZ-GE block in my car that I can build when it's out and thus go 1.5JZ later for a higher horsepower goal, assuming the 1JZ fails me.

For the drivetrain, I plan on using a 6 speed, and a tt pumpkin with a TRD LSD. BRAKES/Wheels/Tires/Suspension will come later after the engine and drivetrain is pieced together. Emphasis on brakes. For now I will focus on the engine.

Going to use stock camshafts for now, stock head, stock intake manifold and tb. Will have the intake manifold extrude honed, and possibly port matched to my head. Going to have my valve covers/intake/tb chromed. Going to send my harness to tweak and have him do some work here soon. Could use new coil packs and pigtails. Aside from that, I have all new essential parts/seals/gaskets installed or ready to be installed, and the engine is ready to be almost completely reassembled in a few weeks after my harness and machine shop work is done.

Havent decided on a BOV yet. Engine management will be AEM EMS with wideband 02, and a truboost controller. HKS DLI won't hurt either and i'm also getting a fuel rail, aeromotive FPR, and some large injectors, im thinking 1400cc or larger. I want the car tuned on E85 ethanol with as much boost and timing as possible for my race setup on the 60-1, and then a pump gas tune for daily driving.

The 60-1 is a decent turbo, but i really don't see it as being on my car long term, so i'm really going to see what I can get out of it. Figured I would just get a slightly better one later on anyway for more power.

Last edited by codetoad; 02-12-11 at 05:10 PM.