Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Check engine light in 92 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-02, 05:47 PM
jrhone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light in 92 SC400

My check engine light came on but the car seems to be running fine.

I have seen the postings regarding how to get the codes by sticking in a paperclip. I am confused -- where am I supposed to see the lights blink? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-30-02, 07:16 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

My car had a check engine light on recently on my 92 SC300, and my car ran fine too, but I got it checked up and they told me my water pump had to be replaced, along with my timing belt.
Old 03-30-02, 09:48 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Aznteazer
My car had a check engine light on recently on my 92 SC300, and my car ran fine too, but I got it checked up and they told me my water pump had to be replaced, along with my timing belt.
If the timing belt has jump a tooth or two the engine will not run smoothly...
The people that tell you that you need water pump and belt didn't check the engine check light.

I agreed that at certain mileage you can change the pump and belt just to be safe. I don't think that the reason the engine check light tuened on...
Old 03-30-02, 10:01 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Check engine light in 92 SC400

Originally posted by jrhone
My check engine light came on but the car seems to be running fine.
I have seen the postings regarding how to get the codes by sticking in a paperclip. I am confused -- where am I supposed to see the lights blink? Any help would be appreciated.
To check for code use a small paper clip bend it out and stick it to point E1 nad TE1 of the DLC2. The DLC2 is the round box below the dash above the drive left knee. Open the DLC2 cap, there is a label show where the E1 and TE1 locate. With ignition off, short the E1 and TE1 with paper clip or any wire. Turn the ignition on (do not start the car). Look at the engine check light; it should flash now. Count the no. of flashes skip the pause. Ex: code 25, two flashes pause then five flashes. If there are more code the light continue to flash. After all code have been shown; it will repeat...
Old 03-31-02, 12:06 AM
jrhone
Driver School Candidate

Default VQT

I followed the procedure exactly as you laid it out, but the check engine light does not flash when I stick the paper clips in. What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-31-02, 12:20 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

Can another possibility of fixing the check engine light be by resetting the engine by taking off the negative side of the battery and plugging it back in? Just something I heard from an IS owner.
Old 03-31-02, 01:00 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Default Re: VQT

Originally posted by jrhone
I followed the procedure exactly as you laid it out, but the check engine light does not flash when I stick the paper clips in. What am I doing wrong?
Use small paper clip and make sure it stick into the slot of E1 and TE1. Turn on the ignition all the light in the dash is on....
Old 03-31-02, 01:09 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

jrhone,

Read my post "how to retrieve trouble code", that site has a lot of good information for us to learn
Once you know how to use the paper clip, it will be very simple. The problem is to know what the code no. stand for and how to fix it
Old 03-31-02, 05:57 PM
jrhone
Driver School Candidate

so, just so I understand this -- I should use "1" paper clip and put one in the one slot and the other in the other one and then turn the key on and hopefully the check iginition light will blink so I can figure out the code?

Perhaps that was the problem -- I took 2 paper clips and put one in each slot. I will try this out -- otherwise I will just be forced to take it to the dealer and be at their mercy. Thanks!
Old 03-31-02, 06:52 PM
jrhone
Driver School Candidate

ok -- finally got the code, which is 25 -- what is that and what will it cost me -- I have a 92 sc400. Thanks!
Old 04-06-02, 06:51 AM
jrhone
Driver School Candidate

Default Help please

Got the code 25 and finally got frustrated and took it to the dealer. What a bunch of blitering idiots! They have been unable to determine what the problem is!!! How difficult could this be?!!! They say that the oxygen sensors are fine so they were checking further to see what the problem is. It has been 2 days and they still have not figured out the problem! Please help somebody, anybody!