Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Selected N/A Turbo Choice

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 11:27 PM
megamarine
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selected N/A Turbo Choice

So, I've decided to run with this: http://www.xs-power.co.uk/index.php?...71c6191c442410 as my Turbo kit. Now, I will be installing this myself as a month project in my free time. The car will be driven daily with some fun on the side, if ya know what I mean. Any proper methods of setting it up, or anything I'd need(Such as additional materials) would be great. If you can recommend a better Turbo setup for a better or identical price, let me know. Also, since I've never installed a Turbo before; even though it's a N/A Turbo setup; I'd still like to know if I need to purchase ANYTHING additionally with this setup. The engine it will be running with is a pure stock SC300 2000 with a 2JZ-GE, so any tips would be awesome, as to help me out. Also note my grammar may not be perfect, this because I'm writing this with 2 hours of sleep...

-Thanks
-Matt

Last edited by megamarine; 06-10-09 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06-11-09, 01:25 AM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Hmmm... How much power are you trying get out of this?
let's see.... off the top of my head you are also going to want/need:

gauges
engine management system
exhaust
intercooler
intercooler piping
t-bolt clamps
silicone hoses
steel braided oil lines
boost controller
fuel pump and injectors (if you're trying to get some high horses)
turbo timer

I'm sure I'm missing a few things.. but those are the basics..
Old 06-11-09, 07:41 AM
Anthony85
Lead Lap

Clubna-t.com

That website is like an encyclopedia for going NA-T on our cars...
Old 06-11-09, 10:10 AM
That-Guy
Pole Position

save your money and go for a boostlogic or powerhouse racing na-t kit. I guarantee you will be happy you did down the line. Although xs power kits are cheap and get the job done, (no disrespect to xspower) the majority of people that go with their kit end up having major problems, spending a truckload more moeny then they thought they would, and ending with a result that isn't as impressive as they'd hoped. You truly get what you pay for with car parts, and if you are a skilled and experienced turbo guru or mechanic, you may be able to get away with buying parts on the cheap and bringing everything together in one engine bay to run like a champ. But anyone that has gone with a cheap turbo kit and then changed setups down the line, it is truly the better way to go, and they will all advise you to skip the initial cheapo kits. I know the price looks great and you will never be able to see down the line, but take it as serious advise from me (the guy that owns the car in your avatar)
Old 06-11-09, 10:57 AM
megamarine
Pole Position

Originally Posted by That-Guy
save your money and go for a boostlogic or powerhouse racing na-t kit. I guarantee you will be happy you did down the line.
If I can make a note, Powerhouse Racing doesn't even hold a Turbo kit for it anymore. All their sections for the SC300 are pretty much empty. And I don't even know if I should even contemplate using the Supra's setup.

And when I look at the Boostlogic setup, I question whether I will get exactly what I want out of it. I may sound nuts, but I refuse to stick anything in my engine unless I know it will provide sufficient gains over its stock setup and little problem, if any at all. Like I said, I must sound crazy, but hopefulyl you understand why.

Last edited by megamarine; 06-11-09 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-11-09, 11:25 AM
That-Guy
Pole Position

i'm sorry, i am a little confused, what exactly can you get from the xs power kit that you can't get from the boostlogic. Other than saving a couple bucks, (which i believe doesn't actually play out down the line) i see no benefit to the xs power kit. Whereas the boostlogic kits are far more complete and on an entirely different level of build quality coming from an established company that has proven their product's reliability and performance a thousand times over on the track and street. I would stand beside a BL or PHR kit to flow alot better, take a lot more abuse, last longer, look nicer and make more power. You also have the customer support on your side. The car in your avatar has a boostlogic stage 1 kit, except it has been modified, i am essentially adding parts that are included in the stage 2 kit (injectors, headgasket, headstuds etc.), and it's also got a nice 67mm dbb turbo on it. I don't see the downside of this kit? Can you please elaborate.

If you wish to go with the xs power kit and your all set on it, go for it. More power to you, and i wish you the best of luck. I just like to see things done right, and generally when you do things right the first time, you end up saving money down the line. So i am mainly commenting on your comment "If you can recommend a better Turbo setup for a better or identical price" because it is my strong belief that going with a better kit will save you money in the long run.
Old 06-11-09, 04:41 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by megamarine
I may sound nuts, but I refuse to stick anything in my engine unless I know it will provide sufficient gains over its stock setup and little problem, if any at all.
Any turbo kit will provide gains...

Are concerned with quality of your kit? Google the turbo that the kit comes with. Some people have had success with it, but I'm at the same time, A LOT of people have had those turbos fail on them from the get-go. What about the wastegate? Would you trust your motor to a no-name wastegate?
Old 06-11-09, 07:42 PM
megamarine
Pole Position

Well, as of further elaborations on everyone's part, I'm now eying this little number: http://www.boostlogic.com/xcart/prod...&cat=66&page=1
Old 06-11-09, 08:07 PM
That-Guy
Pole Position

thats whats on mine, everythings is great with that kit. I would recommend however, that you go ahead and take the hints of the stage 2 kit. I am not saying buy the stage 2, as i think the injectors and headgasket that come with it are overpriced and those parts are available from other name brands for cheaper. For instance, i would go ahead and buy a tt headgasket, arp headstuds and rx7 550cc injectors. Those extra parts shouldn't set you back more than 500 bucks and you could probably get ahold of everything for under 350 in this economy. With those upgrades you won't really have anything holding you back engine wise if your planning to stay in the powerlimits of the tranny in your sc. Of course if i were you i would also change the plugs, the timing belt, the waterpump, thermostat, all the fluids etc, and i might even get a performance radiator. Once all thats done i'd go ahead and focus on the rear end, and down the line maybe the tranny. Overall i hope you choose to go with the BL kit, i think it will serve you well, and if you have anymore questions please pm me or anyone else on the forums, we are always happy to help.
Old 06-11-09, 08:11 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on my second xs power turbo and MANIFOLD no problem yet
Old 06-11-09, 09:52 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This will eliminate any nay sayers:

http://www.full-race.com/catalog/pro...oducts_id=1765

Of course it only includes manifold, turbo and wastegates, but you get what you pay for.
Old 06-11-09, 11:14 PM
That-Guy
Pole Position

full race is simply amazing, but i think it is reserved for those we deep deep deep wallets.
Old 06-12-09, 12:26 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as much as i would love to beat around the bush and go for a cheap kit just to save a dollar, im saving up for a BLkit or engine swap down the road. im sure it'll end up becoming an engine swap project...since that far down my road is gonna have lots of miles
Old 06-12-09, 12:49 PM
That-Guy
Pole Position

doing an engine swap seems like alot of work, but i wish i'd done it instead of picking up an na-t car. It would be so much nicer to have the spark plugs and injectors right there, the aftermarket support would be phenomenal, i might even end up switching to gte down the line.
Old 06-12-09, 05:57 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

no intercooler piping on the XS kit, so youre on your own there. id def go with the boost logic kit. the oil return line on the XS kit runs basically next to the manifold and, well, rubber against a turbo/manifold is a big no no. haha. and it looks like the BL kit comes with IC piping and the union bolt for the turbo feed line. granted you can order the union bolt from toyota and do the IC piping yourself, but, the XS kit comes with a bunch of knock off parts, like the waste gate and blow off valve. like someone above said, you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Selected N/A Turbo Choice