Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Low Ignition Coil reading?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-09, 11:29 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low Ignition Coil reading?

So for sometime now I have been smelling what smells like unburnt fuel when I start the car up and cold days I can see a good amount of exhaust from the tail pipes. After reading a few prior posts I decided to test my Ignition Coil and I think my coil is either dying or I tested it wrong.

I followed the manual for testing the coil and the resistance was in range for the secondary coil resistance but not for the primary coil resistance.

Primary Coil Resistance: 000.6 Ohm (Cold 0.21-0.33 Hot 0.27-0.39)
Secondary Coil Resistance: 9.32 Kohm (Cold 0.64-11.1 Hot 8.2-13.0)

The thing is my car is not miss firing or idling odd but from a dead stop the car seems powerless and at higher rpms it is slow to climb. So with these readings what other symptoms should I be having if any, such as bad acceloration, etc....?

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 06-09-09 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-07-09, 12:13 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so were all the coils doing this? Or just 1 or 2? Did you do them both cold and hot? Whatever the case may be make sure you're getting fire out of the coil/s in question, that's the first thing to do.

Second make sure you have the Ohms on the correct setting on your voltage reader. I know that sounds like a really juvenile mistake but it happens all the time.

The 2j is a pretty amazing motor. You can drive around on 5 cylinders and it can still pull like you wouldn't believe. That being said, it doesn't have to be blatantly obvious that something is out of whack unless you yourself pay really close attention to how your motor is reacting all time. Answer those questions with the results and post em up.
Old 06-07-09, 12:48 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Ok so were all the coils doing this? Or just 1 or 2? Did you do them both cold and hot? Whatever the case may be make sure you're getting fire out of the coil/s in question, that's the first thing to do.

Second make sure you have the Ohms on the correct setting on your voltage reader. I know that sounds like a really juvenile mistake but it happens all the time.

The 2j is a pretty amazing motor. You can drive around on 5 cylinders and it can still pull like you wouldn't believe. That being said, it doesn't have to be blatantly obvious that something is out of whack unless you yourself pay really close attention to how your motor is reacting all time. Answer those questions with the results and post em up.
To my understanding the SC300 (2jzge) only has one coil, am I mistaken? Your right about the settings on the ohm meter, but I did make sure it was on OHM's. As for the performance it feels pretty damn sluggish to say the least lol. Last August I change the plugs, wires, Distributor cap rotor.
Old 06-07-09, 01:28 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
To my understanding the SC300 (2jzge) only has one coil, am I mistaken? Your right about the settings on the ohm meter, but I did make sure it was on OHM's. As for the performance it feels pretty damn sluggish to say the least lol. Last August I change the plugs, wires, Distributor cap rotor.
Damn your name. It fooled me, under the impression it was GTE. Anyway, there are multiple OHMs settings on most volt meters, your response is exactly why I was asking. So are you getting fire on all?
Old 06-07-09, 03:31 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Damn your name. It fooled me, under the impression it was GTE. Anyway, there are multiple OHMs settings on most volt meters, your response is exactly why I was asking. So are you getting fire on all?
Yes........
Old 06-07-09, 03:50 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Any chance you can swap it out with another?
Old 06-07-09, 03:59 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Any chance you can swap it out with another?
Sadly I cant but I can get a brand new one for $50. I'm just curious if some of the issues I'm having could be cause by the coil. My main issues are as follows:

Sluggish (from a dead stop the RPM's need to hit around 2k for the speed register on the tach)

Somewhat Low Idle (around 400 or so)

When car reaches 4k rpm it does not move like I think it should.

TERRIBLE gas mileage about 15 miles to the gallon

Holding the key down abit longer to start the car after sitting for over 12 hours.

Other than that the car is pretty good lol. I highly doubt that the coil is causing ALL the issues..............but then again it could be playing into them, think?
Old 06-07-09, 07:00 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Sadly I cant but I can get a brand new one for $50. I'm just curious if some of the issues I'm having could be cause by the coil. My main issues are as follows:

Sluggish (from a dead stop the RPM's need to hit around 2k for the speed register on the tach)

Somewhat Low Idle (around 400 or so)

When car reaches 4k rpm it does not move like I think it should.

TERRIBLE gas mileage about 15 miles to the gallon

Holding the key down abit longer to start the car after sitting for over 12 hours.

Other than that the car is pretty good lol. I highly doubt that the coil is causing ALL the issues..............but then again it could be playing into them, think?
You're exactly right. It could be a million different things. 02 sensor, old fuel filter, MAF dirty, maybe a slightly cracked HG, who knows. But sounds like you're on the right track. A coil being that far out of resistence probably has something to do with it.
Old 06-07-09, 07:16 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

You're exactly right. It could be a million different things. 02 sensor, old fuel filter, MAF dirty, maybe a slightly cracked HG, who knows. But sounds like you're on the right track. A coil being that far out of resistence probably has something to do with it.
Its funny you mentioned the fuel filter because I was under the car the other day changing my struts and noticed that the filter is rusted like no other lol and I was thinking about changing it. The only reason I'm hesitant to do so is because of all the horror stories I have read about issues stripping the bolts or threads lol.

As for o2 sensors I changed bank 1 and 2, the only one thats left is the one under the car.

HG is def a possibility because when I was changing my exhaust manifold I found what looks like it could be a leak in the HG, but I'm not sure, once I get more time I will do a compression test. Here is a picture of what I'm refering to

The MAF I'm going to try and clean tomorrow.

Now on a side note, if that is a leak in the HG do you have any experience with head Gasket seals as a tempory fix?
Old 06-07-09, 07:33 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Now on a side note, if that is a leak in the HG do you have any experience with head Gasket seals as a tempory fix?
Borrowed time. Some of them work some of them don't, but again you're just delaying the problem until it gets worse. Try just some basic maintenance like we've talked about and see if it gets better.
Old 06-07-09, 07:37 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Borrowed time. Some of them work some of them don't, but again you're just delaying the problem until it gets worse. Try just some basic maintenance like we've talked about and see if it gets better.
Oh I understand about the band aid fix, until I get more time lol
Old 06-07-09, 09:11 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

What is the difference between the primary and secondary tests?
Old 06-09-09, 04:49 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Well I got my new ignition Coil in today and I tested it before installing and here are numbers I got

Primary .26
Secondary 8.6

Both of which fall in range in the manual, so I give an update on if I notice any differences sometime tonight or tomorrow

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 06-09-09 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-10-09, 04:43 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Just an update

changing the coil helped my low idle a bit and I'm also getting better gas mileage (4 MPG more) at this point. The car does seem to have somewhat more power but still seems under powered and sluggish.

My next adventure is going to be changing the fuel filter.................HOPEFULLY I dont strip the nut
Old 03-13-10, 09:41 PM
qmanlexus2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same issue andmy gas milege is bad also.I am purchasing a Beck Arney aftermarket to see if it solves my Gas milege issue.

Quick Reply: Low Ignition Coil reading?