Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

door lock sensors interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-16, 09:46 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts
Default door lock sensors interchangeable?

Does anyone know if the left and right door lock sensors are identical?

When I bought the car, the driver's door sensor was dead, so unlocking that door triggered the alarm. I fixed that and everything worked great until the passenger sensor started failing... I replaced that and everything was great again, but now my driver's sensor is unhappy, periodically setting off the alarm. I figure if I have to go back in there (PITA) to investigate, I might as well swap sensors again.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...e-doesn-t.html

I have a few spare passenger sensors but no extra driver's one. It just occurred to me, the two sensors appear to be identical, with the same white connectors and the same three wire colors. Are they the same thing, just oriented the opposite direction on the lock cylinder? I assume they're designed to turn ~90 degrees either way to lock or unlock, so that would make sense.

If so, I have one sensor that looks like new and is worth a try. There's a rubbery black circle on the side opposite the lock cylinder, and they all tend to be in a varying state of decay. The original driver's one that never worked is almost completely rotted out. I'm guessing that has something to do with how much life they have left. I wonder if there's any way to patch that up? I don't know how it relates to the functionality of the sensor, though... How would one go about testing it before and after? I haven't found them in the parts schematics for buying new, so figuring out how to extend the life of old ones would be useful.
Old 05-31-16, 01:07 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

They should be specific for the left and right sides. Internally in terms of electronics there is nothing that suggests they aren't the same. *Electronically*. But this is meaningless because the fragile metal arms are articulated differently for the left and right.

Left side should be: 6904024080
Right side should be: 6903024070

CORRECTED ABOVE P/N'S ^^^

And you will also want the cheap little plastic locking connectors for those rods that go into the door handle assembly:

Right Side: 69293-12030

Left Side: (sorry, I don't have this one on me right now t2d2)

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-31-16 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-31-16, 02:09 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Shoot, that's not what I was hoping to hear. I'm a bit confused, though. In the link you PM'd me (thanks!), it has the short codes corresponding to the full part numbers, which definitely helps. Are you sure the two part numbers above are correct?

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genu...d=3&uid=173946

6904024080 is 69320, which as far as I can tell in the picture is the cable assembly for the inner handle. The end of whatever is shown looks nothing like the connector on the lock sensor, but it's tough to see any detail at the lock end of things. Also, it says 69310 is the corresponding RH part, which is 6903024070 not 6929724010.

Here's a photo of what the sensors and connectors look like, as well as the varying condition they tend to be in. (Seems like an age issue more than a use issue.) I forgot I do have a spare driver's one, but high mileage.

L to R: failed '94 LH, '95 LH and RH, '97 RH.

Looking back at them again, the outer two wires are flip flopped between LH and RH, and the two little tab indents on the face are rotated. So you're probably right that they're different. Now it's just a matter of figuring out if those are actually the part numbers.

I've got spare bags of both sides of the plastic clips for the rods. I keep a few spares in the car at all times, just in case...

Edit: Looking back at your post and the description of the fragile metal arms (rods), I think we were talking about two different things. The above picture should clarify. I haven't found the sensors on any schematic.

Last edited by t2d2; 05-31-16 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-31-16, 02:23 PM
KahnBB6

t2d2,

That international EPC (which uses the original Microfiche images) is still correct. What you do is click on the short numbers in the image and after a short delay the computer system will cue up the correct length Toyota part number for the part you have highlighted. In some cases a screw or clip or other very small part will have the full Toyota part number listed in the image itself.

It's all correct. It's just how Toyota organized their original exploded parts diagram references.

I cannot do it right now but later tonight or tomorrow I can go back into my records and copy you the part numbers from my original receipts for each lock connector I bought brand new from a Lexus dealer. They will be the same part numbers I've listed here though.

Again, I'm sorry about missing the other small clip part number. You need to replace that little plastic thing on each side to avoid issues.
Old 05-31-16, 02:39 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

When I search for that part number, all I get is listing info and pictures showing the same door lock actuator assembly as in the schematic...

https://www.google.com/search?q=lexu...w=1420&bih=958

You're sure we're talking about the same thing?
Old 05-31-16, 06:52 PM
KahnBB6

t2d2, good catch!

I don't know if I misread the P/N's in the database in my haste but the RH number was indeed not for the lock assembly part but an SC inner door handle. I've corrected them above.

LH SC300/400 lock actuator assembly: 6904024080
RH SC300/400 lock actuator assembly: 6903024070

If you cross-reference onto Carson Toyota's EPC site you'll find that they correspond.

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/199...agramCallOut=4
Old 05-31-16, 07:35 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I don't know if I misread the P/N's in the database in my haste but the RH number was indeed not for the lock assembly part but an SC inner door handle.
Aha, that addresses that point of confusion. But the lock actuator vs lock sensor... Are you saying that the sensor is sold as part of the actuator, and just not pictured as such in the schematics? It doesn't connect to the actuator -- it just clips onto the back of the lock cylinder -- so that has me stumped still.
Old 05-31-16, 11:27 PM
KahnBB6

Hmm...

I think I may have misunderstood you in that case. The lock actuator assemblies are big and bulky but they should not have the components you referenced in your picture located on them. Not as I have seen them in their OEM packaging.

What you have there may be included as part of the lock tumbler assemblies since they fit onto that section but I am not sure.

I would contact Luis @ Carson Toyota parts and field your picture to his email. He will be able to confirm if those are sold separately or not.

From the look of them, however, they probably come attached to something else. Now I want to know the answer too. I've never had to service these myself.
Old 06-01-16, 12:27 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Now we're getting somewhere ... I figured we had to be talking about two different things.

If the lock sensor weren't so difficult to get to, it would be an interesting experiment to de-pin the outer two wires and switch them, making the RH sensor match the wiring colors of the LH one. I'm inclined to think that's the only meaningful difference between the two, but that's a shot in the dark since there's very little info out there on the lock sensors. That could be tested with the window rolled down and the lock cylinder/sensor not reinstalled, so at least one wouldn't have to remove/reinstall it twice if the test failed.

Last edited by t2d2; 06-01-16 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-02-16, 10:24 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I heard back from Luis @ Carson Toyota. He couldn't find a part # for the sensors, either, and suggested contacting a Lexus dealer with access to more than just what's in the catalog, which is probably the same as what's on (or not on, in this case) the schematics.

If my hunch is right about these things deteriorating with age, a lot of people are going to need replacements or some way to fix them in the coming years, otherwise it'll become impossible to get in the car without setting off the alarm and immobilizer.