Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Best intercooler pipping method

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-09, 01:29 PM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best intercooler pipping method

Hey whats up guys,

I am starting my intercooler pipping and wanted to know what would be the best route in doing this.
1. It looks like i could make it through the right headlight but then it will be crowded in that area.
2. then maybe i could go straight down some and use a 180 bend and use the hole that is already there
3. or maybe i could cut a hole and run it that way. Like many have done in there swap threads.

I am not sure of what direction is the best. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

THanks,

-GP
Old 06-03-09, 01:37 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is mine. I just punched a hole through the frame and used a 70º bend to get it through there.
Old 06-03-09, 04:10 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

if you use stock supra twin turbo piping, it will naturally go through the stock piping route for the soarer SMIC.

No cutting needed whatsoever.
Old 06-03-09, 05:07 PM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

Thanks onejay for the pic

lemmieeink i dont have the smic from the soarer i have a fmic, but thanks for the suggestion.

Onejay did you move any of those hoses on the otherside or did u just route it around them?
Old 06-03-09, 06:58 PM
FiSta
Lead Lap

i just went straight down...
Old 06-03-09, 07:32 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BigGreen
Thanks onejay for the pic

lemmieeink i dont have the smic from the soarer i have a fmic, but thanks for the suggestion.

Onejay did you move any of those hoses on the otherside or did u just route it around them?
Doesn't matter. The piping for a stock twin turbo supra will route through the passenger side and will connect to the intercooler be it fmic or smic. As long as the piping is for the stock twins then it will fit without cutting. I'll try to see if I can find a pic.
Old 06-03-09, 07:39 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Here is a youtube link of my first start up without the bumper. Near the end you can somewhat see where the piping dissappears to. This is a supra intercooler piping kit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEw1UzeyoPU

There is actually a precut hole there for the stock piping.

Here is a pic of my engine bay pic. I know its a pretty horrible picture but it shows the initial direction of the piping at least.

If you look carefully you can see a hole that I erroneously cut due to thinking the piping would have to go through it.
Old 06-03-09, 09:19 PM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

What ok I see it in the video, its thru the side of the passanger side front fender? Ima see about this tomorrow, i have the DM kit for intercooler do you know if that will fit through there, pipping is about 2.5
Old 06-03-09, 09:58 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have a 45º coupler, you can probably get a straight piece to go through the slot, then use a 90º coupler or 90º bend to make it point down.

Last edited by OneJay; 06-03-09 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-03-09, 10:02 PM
SC2JZ300
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How I did mine...
Old 06-03-09, 11:13 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC2JZ300

How I did mine...
Yep thats pretty much it. The factory hole is covered by some black plastic which is removable if I remember correctly.
Old 06-04-09, 08:28 AM
IonFeright
Lead Lap

No interference with the bumper at all, just had to ziptie some hoses out of the way.

Old 06-04-09, 08:50 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGreen
What ok I see it in the video, its thru the side of the passanger side front fender? Ima see about this tomorrow, i have the DM kit for intercooler do you know if that will fit through there, pipping is about 2.5
2.5" will fit through that hole. If you don't run the piping high enough in the chassis you will not get the front under shields back on.

The AC lines make it hard to route the cold side of the piping. I know some people bend the ac lines, and remove the power steering cooler/lines, which isn't a bad idea. Then you could install a nice aftermarket power steering cooler.
Old 06-04-09, 05:19 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RyanV
2.5" will fit through that hole. If you don't run the piping high enough in the chassis you will not get the front under shields back on.

The AC lines make it hard to route the cold side of the piping. I know some people bend the ac lines, and remove the power steering cooler/lines, which isn't a bad idea. Then you could install a nice aftermarket power steering cooler.
Yes, I am not running my front plastic undershields or any plastic shields for that matter. I guess if your a stickler for that kind of stuff you would care.

My hotside piping is 2.5" so yes it will fit.
Old 06-04-09, 06:05 PM
scdriver1
Driver School Candidate

For anyone up to it this will be good DIY thread for those who have
done their fmic. Also nice pics

Quick Reply: Best intercooler pipping method