Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Yet another Intake question..

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 06:02 PM
MuGGzyx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yet another Intake question..

And yes I searched extensively.

I was looking at all the various DIY BFIs on here and reading the discussions.

What I was wondering is, is there any real difference between the kits that are basically a bracket to the MAF with a filter right on it, and the ones that drop the filter down behind the headlight? There sure seem to be a LOT of cheezy looking setups on ebay but if there is no diff I dont see what a $25 bracket a and decent washable filter would be any better or worse than the $300 Injen ones or the cheezy dryer hose looking ones.

Thoughts? Enlighten me please.
Old 05-28-09, 06:33 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

There are several ways to look at this. Alot them suck in nothing but hot air, by using those MAF adapter kits and the cone style filter, as seen on Ebay. These kits have no sides or anything, so they normally suck in all of the hot air coming from the engine bay and defeating the purpose of the "Cold Air intake".
Most people use different techniques by modifying their original air filter box to allow more cool air in. They also modify the front inner black trim piece to make it act like a ram air type induction. This is the method that I chose, and it helped, not only in performance, but also sound wise. I also made mine out of aluminum, instead of foam type material or ABS plastic. The choice is up to to you and how proffessional you want it to look under the hood. This method has been proved time and time again to work and work well, as well as not allowing water or extra bugs in there.

The link that I looked to get a basic idea is http://www.lextreme.com/BFI.htm or http://planetsoarer.com/BFI3/bfi3.htm.... Maybe this will help you understand more in the differences of air.
Old 05-29-09, 10:48 AM
MuGGzyx
Driver

ok so the $50 for the little K&N cone filter that bolts right onto the MAF would pretty much do nothing. If I am going to do anything I should build the BFI then?

I think I am going to fully fabricate out an alum kit for this with as little plastic and foam as possible.
Old 05-29-09, 12:49 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aluminum heat soaks (as it has a much higher thermal conductivity rating) from engine compartment A LOT more than plastic or rubber. Keep that in mind if you're planning on building one.
Old 05-29-09, 01:14 PM
MuGGzyx
Driver

Ahhh good point, I was just thinking in terms of looks and durability but you make a good point.. dang!