Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Time for a stupid question!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-09, 06:25 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Time for a stupid question!

I heard a 350Z start up and pull away as I walked out of the bank earlier this afternoon. I've heard the engine of a 350Z/G35/FX35 many times and have always admired the start up and tone of the engine, and today I have decided that I want to make my SC300 sound similar to that 3.5L. The stock SC300 already has a sporty exhaust note to start with; I'm just looking to take an extra step. Not looking for something loud that would set off car alarms or draw attention: just a subtle, throaty tone that's obvious at start up and WOT. I've heard that deleting the resonators on a SC400 will make the car sound similar, but sadly I'm not running the 1UZ under my hood.

Though the answer is pretty obvious (go buy a 350Z/G35/FX35), I don't have that kind of money and am loyal to my car. So, any suggestions to this stupid question, i.e. a certain exhaust or engine mod?

Last edited by felixsc300; 05-26-09 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-26-09, 06:29 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by felixsc300
, but sadly I'm not running the 1UZ under my hood.
You wish you had an SC400!

But yeah, I like the sound of those cars, i always thought of my sc400 (stock)'s exhaust as a luxury of tone of those cars
Old 05-26-09, 06:30 PM
DJ420a
Pole Position

Dont take this the wrong way, cuz Im not ragging you, but your comparing apples to oranges. Its a totally different make and motor.

I think youd have to do ALOT of R&D to try to get something similar to it.

I hope you get what your looking for cuz I also think those engines sound great, but I also think the 2JZ is a great sounding motor.

Good luck bro

Last edited by DJ420a; 05-26-09 at 06:41 PM. Reason: I CANT SPELL LOL
Old 05-26-09, 06:39 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DJ420a
Dont take this the wrong way, cuz Im not ragging you, but your comparing apples to oranges. Its a totally different make and motor.

I think youd have to do ALOT of R&D to try to get something similar to it.

I hope you get what your looking for cuz also thing those engines sound great, but I also think the 2JZ is a great sounding motor.

Good luck bro
No worries, I completely understand. I'm not very knowledgeable in the mechanics department of cars and am just trying to find a way to make my car sound similar to one I admire. Like I said the SC300 already has a very sport stock exhaust note, and I'm just being greedy.
Old 05-26-09, 07:06 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

you may check out some of the exhaust clips members have posted to give you a better idea of what tones to expect with each exhaust option.
Old 05-26-09, 07:13 PM
LEXSTASY
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, heres wat u do. Find a reputable muffler shop, have your mufflers, cat and resonator removed. Essentially your straightpiping it but its not from the headers out, your keeping your primary cats. You can also have an x pipe installed if youd like but you dont necessarily need to, just straightpiping from your secondary cats back will make it sound amazing. It will give it a nice rumbly, throaty exhaust tone, that will even sound similar, but better than, the 350z/g35 tone your aiming for! Good luck
Old 05-26-09, 07:32 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

You won't get a sound close to a Z even if you really try; heck even maximas have a completely different tone than a Z, and it's hard to try to make it sound the same. They even have the same engine.

Maybe swap in a 3.5 VQ and you will be golden
Old 05-26-09, 07:37 PM
LEXSTASY
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL ^^^
Let me fix this, you should actually keep your cats on, srry for the mixup. So ur basically just having ur car straightpiped from the resonators back meaning no resonators or mufflers but you should most likely x-pipe the resonator delete to keep air flow equal on both sides! Do this and you wont be disappointed, i can guarantee it LOL. once again Good Luck
Old 05-26-09, 07:39 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have to agree with the above statement. Listen to what V818SC is telling you, and even after that, you still might not be happy with the way it sounds. Just find some videos on youtube or here, and listen to what you after. Sorry I couldnt help much more.
Old 05-26-09, 07:49 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Find an aftermarket muffler, you can make your car sounds as loud as you want. My 3.0l 2jz with the stock mufflers sounds better/loud then a brand new mb c350(3.5l for all you people).

Or you can go baller and get a turbo charger, they sound better then any exhaust.
Old 05-26-09, 08:02 PM
Sciethen
Rookie

I swapped from the previous idiot's... er... I mean owner's... cherry bomb exhaust they put on it to a cat-back Magnaflow system. Essentially I told them to leave the resonators and everything, just change the mufflers.

Now after about three months of running them, I started to hear a change in the exhaust note, where if I take my 300 past 3,500 RPMs it has a similar tone to a stock 350/G35. Was not intentional, and it took a few months to break in the mufflers before I heard it, but I distinctly started hearing the tone a few weeks ago, and started thinking "huh, did someone steal my 2jz and stick in a Q35 while I wasn't looking?" Okay, well maybe I didn't think that exactly, but... certainly noticed a similarity.

To be clear however, it's probably not noticeable from the outside, and is just a coincidence from harmonics or some such. Also, I am running a VERY conservative setup with 2" or 1.75" pipes, 2.5" tips (smallest they had), and stock everything else.
Old 05-26-09, 08:08 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

ok - time for an even STUPIDER QUESTION!!

Has anyone ever tried just welding a 350z muffler to an sc300?

*runs for cover due to the potential hail of stones for his stupid question*
Old 05-26-09, 08:18 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you delete just the resonators it'll give it a bit more of a growl, but not anything overly loud.
Old 05-26-09, 08:54 PM
PecosBill
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by V818RedSC
You can also have an x pipe installed if youd like but you dont necessarily need to, just straightpiping from your secondary cats back will make it sound amazing.
You cant put an x-pipe on a sc3 can you?
Old 05-26-09, 08:55 PM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cliffud
ok - time for an even STUPIDER QUESTION!!

Has anyone ever tried just welding a 350z muffler to an sc300?

*runs for cover due to the potential hail of stones for his stupid question*
Do they just have 1 muffler? Might actually be worth a try. If anything, just to get those huge tips wold be worth it. They would look Sexay! on my SC

Quick Reply: Time for a stupid question!