Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turn the key and the entire car goes dead.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-09, 06:31 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turn the key and the entire car goes dead.

I had an interesting situation today with my SC. After installing my new speakers I went for a drive and all is well, I came and left again a few times everything was normal. Just about an hour ago I went out put my key in the ignition turn it and the EVERYTHING in the car turn on then within a half a second went dead. It seemed to die when I tried to start it, but EVERYTHING shorted out nothing worked not a single light, sound.....nothing, the engine didnt even have a chance to try and turn over.

I took the key out and tried a few more times, but the entire car remained completely dead. I popped the hood checked the fuses, and not a single one was bad. For ****s and giggles I tried it again and the damn thing worked perfectly fine, BUT my steering wheel, Radio and clock were all reset.........its as if the battery was disconnected. I was under the hood for all of 5 minutes or so and didnt touch the battery at all.

It is to dark for me to trouble shoot tonight, where should I start? Oh the battery and starter is less than a year old, I'm thinking possibly the alternator but for some reason that does not sound right to me. I really hope to god its not the starter, I will be pissed if it is seeing how it is the ONLY part I had Toyota repair for me.

My thoughts are either Ignition Switch or alternator, what are your thoughts?

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 05-24-09 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-24-09, 11:39 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are your battery terminals tight? and clean?
Old 05-25-09, 12:46 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1sxyrxy
are your battery terminals tight? and clean?
Super clean zero corrosion and so tight I need a ratchet to remove them.
Old 05-25-09, 03:49 AM
schwarz
Pole Position

Mine did the exact same thing...it was the battery terminals. Doesn't matter how clean or tight the terminals are on the battery as it has nothing to do with the connection on the battery post, it's where the wires meet the terminals. Replace the terminals and it should be good to go (and the dealer said this is quite common on SC's).
Old 05-25-09, 09:25 AM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Mine did the same thing, spontaneous ground loss, and it acted the EXACT same way, this i believe, was brought on by the extreme HID work i had done not a week before. More load, not enough ground.
Old 05-25-09, 09:38 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yea i had this happen to me too..played with the terminals and car started up lol..
Old 05-25-09, 10:01 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UZZ30-SC4
Mine did the same thing, spontaneous ground loss, and it acted the EXACT same way, this i believe, was brought on by the extreme HID work i had done not a week before. More load, not enough ground.
Well now thats rather interesting considering about 2 weeks ago I installed a set of VOLT Hids, but they are only 35 watts and my lights where not turned on when the does this. Do you think the hids could be the issue?

Mine did the exact same thing...it was the battery terminals. Doesn't matter how clean or tight the terminals are on the battery as it has nothing to do with the connection on the battery post, it's where the wires meet the terminals. Replace the terminals and it should be good to go (and the dealer said this is quite common on SC's).
Any pointers on changing the cables?

yea i had this happen to me too..played with the terminals and car started up lol..
Did you change your terminals?
Old 05-25-09, 10:39 AM
schwarz
Pole Position

You don't actually have to change the cables, just the terminals. You can get them from Lexus ($40 IIRC for the pair) or get a set from Walmart or AutoZone...the key thing is that the end of the cables fit over the end of the terminal (they bolt onto the terminal). It took awhile to find a pair that worked with our cable ends but I found a pair of marine terminals at Walmart for $4 that worked but I had to drill out the holes on the end of the cables to get them to bolt onto the terminals (the hole sizes are different on + and - cable ends). Once you get in there, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 05-25-09, 10:42 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by schwarz
You don't actually have to change the cables, just the terminals. You can get them from Lexus ($40 IIRC for the pair) or get a set from Walmart or AutoZone...the key thing is that the end of the cables fit over the end of the terminal (they bolt onto the terminal). It took awhile to find a pair that worked with our cable ends but I found a pair of marine terminals at Walmart for $4 that worked but I had to drill out the holes on the end of the cables to get them to bolt onto the terminals (the hole sizes are different on + and - cable ends). Once you get in there, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Thanks I'm going to have to check out Autozone and see what I can find. I was reading on the supra forums that some people had an issue with cables being to short, did you experience the samething?

This is the one I'm looking at picking up
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...rtId=prod62370
Old 05-25-09, 11:52 AM
schwarz
Pole Position

I didn't have any problems with the cables as I left the original ones there. And those terminals won't work. You need something like these:

The original cables have lugs on the end of them so they need a bolt on the end of the terminal to bolt to. You'll see when you get in there.
Old 05-25-09, 12:02 PM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
Well now thats rather interesting considering about 2 weeks ago I installed a set of VOLT Hids, but they are only 35 watts and my lights where not turned on when the does this. Do you think the hids could be the issue?
They could have assisted in finishing off already bad connections, no good way to know, but these are 10+ year old vehicles. They need there terminals/grounds replaced no matter what.
Old 05-25-09, 12:05 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the help, I'm heading to autozone now to pick up some terminals, anything else needed lol?
Old 05-25-09, 12:07 PM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

You could pick up some 8 Gauge wire and some connectors and do a custom ground wire
Old 05-25-09, 12:37 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UZZ30-SC4
You could pick up some 8 Gauge wire and some connectors and do a custom ground wire
IS there a diagram for that, like I DIY?
Old 05-25-09, 03:29 PM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Not really necessary, pop your hood and trace your negative battery cable, it stops at the chassis below the battery tray, then leads to the motor, very simple to make a new one and add a few new grounding points while you are at it.

Quick Reply: Turn the key and the entire car goes dead.