Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

w58 vs r154?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-09, 09:05 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a recent W58 failure at 420whp on a 1JZ.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98470
Old 06-07-09, 08:57 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

He did say he had over 200+k miles on tranny. That's a lot of mileage, I think any transmisson is about due to failure with that much mileage. And then you put boost behind it. V160 might hang in there but a W58 or R154, will give up the ghost.
Old 06-07-09, 10:23 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Thats 100 more whp than I was told the W58 would hold up to. Not too shabby really.
Old 06-08-09, 12:58 AM
MainSource
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevechumo
I just found out there's a rebuild kit from http://www.importperformancetrans.com/ for $750. This kit has strenthened parts for the W58. I'd wonder how strong it can hold.
I remember seeing a thread on IPT on Supra Forums. It was started by a relatively well-known member there, Silver Orchid SP60.

Originally Posted by Silver Orchid SP60
**** poor customer service! Here is the situation. My built auto tranny is broke, again. John Reed is all ready scheduled to do some tuning here on island so I need to get in on it since I have all ready payed for his ticket. I call IPT on Wednesday and ask about their Raybestos blue plate rebuild and it seems to do the job. I all ready have a stronger trans lined up, its just not ready yet. I just want to rebuild my current one to hold on the dyno so I can get a good tune. I let IPT know that I HAVE to have the parts overnight. Anything past Friday wouldn't work because I know John is leaving for Maui on Monday. He insures me that if I call him before 9:30am his time on Thursday he can get the kit together and have it out in time for overnight shipping. So I wake up at 2:30 am or so and make the call. I then call him later on that day to insure the kit went out and ask for tracking info. He assures me that the kit will arrive Friday. He didnt have a tracking number because the UPS track comes late and the shipping people are gone. So Friday I take off work to wait for the package. Doesn't come. I call IPT and the person tells me that the shipping people are gone for the day but he will go to their computer, get the info and call me back in 15 minutes. I wait an hour and no call back. I call him back but no one answers, gone for the day. I call back Monday and get a tracking number. Apparently there were 2 packages sent, one actually went out on Friday and not Thursday. I was still charged over night for the package that went out on Friday even though it wasnt to be delivered till Monday which was too late. I track the other package and find that it was rescheduled for delivery 2 times. IPT had put the wrong address for delivery. Not only was the name of the street spelled wrong, the zip was wrong and even the house number was wrong. So I have to take off again Monday to get delivery of the small package, just one steel that was probably forgotten. Then I had to go to UPS to pick up the large package so they wouldnt try to deliver it again on Tues. By this time I am fed up. John is gone to Maui and I cant tune. So, I call IPT and tell them I want to return the item. He tells me that I can't, and that his sales person told him that the address on there is what I TOLD HIM ON THE PHONE. So apparently I paid 114 dollars for overnight shipping and then told the sales person the wrong address. Not only are both shipping labels wrong, the receipt that they sent me clearly says in the AVS resp section that the "Neither address nor zip matches". Plus the customer information has the same wrong address. Hell, they even misspelled Honolulu as HONALULU but still stated that I basically dont know my own address. I have lived here 16 years and ship **** here constantly. I dont even pronounce my street name, I spell it. IPT still refuses to acknowledge there sales person made a mistake even with all the evidence I have to the contrary! Will never order from there again.
http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540134
Old 03-13-10, 03:53 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

I'm bringing this thread back to life....I just bought a W58 to play with and I'm gonna see if my manual trans guy can find any beefy parts through his connections while he's inspecting the trans.

This is the best manual trans guy in the Austin area....he does all the manual trans rebuilds for the dealerships in Austin.

I had him go through a Soarer R154 probably like 8-9 yrs ago now...he said that trans was in perfect shape..ZERO wear and tear, and that he could rebuild it if I ever needed for like $500 bucks!!

He actually had a few parts for it that I was missing on the shelf!

He is out in the sticks though too..but it's worth the drive out. He lectured me for hours about manual transmissions telling me how they worked etc..

Last edited by RyanV; 03-13-10 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-14-10, 10:40 AM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

I forgot the guy sn on here but didn't he make 467hp and 4xxtq on the w58?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BbTk3D4tXY
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=q4r5...eature=related
this is the vids on youtube I found of his car.
Old 06-25-10, 01:31 PM
Allaretake
Driver

Originally Posted by RyanV
I'm bringing this thread back to life....I just bought a W58 to play with and I'm gonna see if my manual trans guy can find any beefy parts through his connections while he's inspecting the trans.

This is the best manual trans guy in the Austin area....he does all the manual trans rebuilds for the dealerships in Austin.

I had him go through a Soarer R154 probably like 8-9 yrs ago now...he said that trans was in perfect shape..ZERO wear and tear, and that he could rebuild it if I ever needed for like $500 bucks!!

He actually had a few parts for it that I was missing on the shelf!

He is out in the sticks though too..but it's worth the drive out. He lectured me for hours about manual transmissions telling me how they worked etc..
I also live in Austin and am looking to do the auto to manual swap. Does he have a website or phone number?
Old 06-25-10, 03:45 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

No website, but I have his contact info at work.

He's out past Taylor, but it's worth it. He would only rebuild the transmission
Old 06-26-10, 05:38 AM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there's a guy on clubna-t w/ a 240sx that has a 2jz and w58 transmission running 10 seconds on the 1/4 w/ around 515whp... http://clubna-t.com/forums/showthrea...0986#post70986
Old 06-26-10, 09:34 AM
Allaretake
Driver

Originally Posted by RyanV
No website, but I have his contact info at work.

He's out past Taylor, but it's worth it. He would only rebuild the transmission
Could you PM me his phone number when you get the chance?
Old 06-26-10, 07:37 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/page.asp...8&productid=42 w58 650hp straight cut.
Old 06-26-10, 11:56 PM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

Great find cleanshots!
Old 06-27-10, 06:55 AM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
i wonder how much it is? probably cost as much as a v160 i bet..
Old 06-28-10, 07:34 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
I just made an inquiry. I'll let you guys know what they say.

Thanks for the link.
Old 06-28-10, 08:54 PM
jdmsfl305
Driver

I sell jdm motors where i work and the w58 is a great tranny it shifts way smoother than r154. Its good for no more than 500 hp. i have several customers with these tranny's in there car with 300 to 500hp and they are super happy. If you add the lsd diff its game over you will have a good sold running car. if your look for more hp then that i would get the r154. but realistically cars with over 500hp as a daily driver aren’t that common.

Quick Reply: w58 vs r154?