Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine Issue??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-09, 08:34 PM
chinhtense
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Issue??

Well, I have a 1999 SC300 with almost 160k on the clock. I recently graduated from Wichita State University with Entrepreneurship with an emphasis on Real Estate and a minor in Management. I had time to finally work on my car, so I asked my buddy if he can help me. He agreed and we did major tune up including:

oil, spark plugs, wires, tranny flush, sea foam, serpentine belt, thermostat, fuel filter , differential flush, timing belt, water pump, valve cover gasket.

My car was running fine before we did all this. Now it seems like one spark plug isn't firing and the engine is missing out on one cylinder. Would it be a timing or an electrical issue? Is there a better way than taking off the throttle body to check for spark?

Also, the PCV valve on the exhaust valve cover we do not have a vacuum hose hooked up to it. We don't remember taking any hose off of it, but not sure. Would any one of you guys know what it connects to or if this could be our problem?
Old 05-17-09, 09:28 PM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

Yes- there's a better way...pull your fuel pump relay to make sure you're not vapor-locking or flooding your motor then get a plug wire- just 1 and 1 at a time pull the wires off your dizy and do the old insert screwdriver into wire, hold close to block and look for spark trick. It'll arc. Gay but it works. The PCV may make your idle a bit strange but it shouldn't mess up anything else- all that's gonna do is make a source for air to get in that's not accounted for by your MAF...hmm may be wrong on that. I'll check it out and hit you up in the AM if one of the gurus don't get on here and handle this. Are you missing the hose off your PCV completely?
Old 05-17-09, 09:45 PM
chinhtense
Driver School Candidate

Hey hyjaxx,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think my 99 sc3 has a distributor, and if it did, where would it be located?

My car uses ignition control module that I think powers the spark plugs instead of a distributor.

Ignition control module: http://images.wrenchead.com/smartpag...DUS/C1907A.jpg
Old 05-18-09, 03:06 PM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

You're right! I didn't pay attention to the year in your first post and just started rambling.
Old 05-18-09, 03:48 PM
chinhtense
Driver School Candidate

Lol, it's okay man. Well, I looked at the 97 sc3 my sister drives. The PCV valve is connected to the intake piping. Might put off working on the car for a couple days and try to figure out what exactly is wrong. Most likely we'll have to back track and tear down the front again =(.
Old 05-18-09, 03:58 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chinhtense
Lol, it's okay man. Well, I looked at the 97 sc3 my sister drives. The PCV valve is connected to the intake piping. Might put off working on the car for a couple days and try to figure out what exactly is wrong. Most likely we'll have to back track and tear down the front again =(.
just fyi but hyjaxx is not a dude lol
Old 05-18-09, 04:02 PM
chinhtense
Driver School Candidate

OH SNAP thanks Sup2jzgte. Haha, my bad hyjaxx. I do appreciate the replies. Any more ideas ladies and gents?
Old 05-18-09, 04:10 PM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

HOW DARE YOU CALL ME A DUDE???!!!! Nah, just kidding...I get it ALL the time. I need to make an avatar that says "I'm a girl". Hopefully you won't need to tear it down again! Yeah, just take some time, do some research and when you figure out what's wrong post it up here so it'll help other peeps.
Old 05-20-09, 02:19 PM
chinhtense
Driver School Candidate

Well, we started working on the automobile again today. We noticed that one of the cams that is off one tooth. Not sure if it was the exhaust or the intake cam that was off. Would that effect anything? We watched a video on youtube with a guy working on 2jzgte motors, saying that it wouldn't matter if it was a tooth off.

When we took a spark plug out, one of them was covered with oil. It was cylinder number four. We checked the compression the other day and it seemed fine. I can't remember exactly but it was around 160. We also changed the valve cover gaskets a few days ago. Does any one have an idea if that's our problem? Or what would cause it? .......the only thing we could think of is the head gasket or the piston ring. Please help!

Thanks