Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 stalled at low speed when turning off AC

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-09, 11:27 PM
Mike4x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 stalled at low speed when turning off AC

Hi there,

My recently purchased 95 SC400 stalled on me during a highway traffic jam when turning off the AC. Car can restart without any problem (no light on) but felt significant loss of power and responsiveness of the engine. Symptom repeated when tried again next day in a parking lot. Do any of you have encountered similar issue? What could be the problem?

Thanks muck

Mike
Old 05-09-09, 12:06 AM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike4x
Hi there,

My recently purchased 95 SC400 stalled on me during a highway traffic jam when turning off the AC. Car can restart without any problem (no light on) but felt significant loss of power and responsiveness of the engine. Symptom repeated when tried again next day in a parking lot. Do any of you have encountered similar issue? What could be the problem?

Thanks muck

Mike
IAC most likely
Old 05-09-09, 02:29 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's very common for the SC400. It's not the IAC. You can replace the IAC and the symptom will be the same. It's the ECU's function that controls the A/C that goes bad. I had mine mechanically fixed by a Toyota master mechanic. I don't know exactly what he did, but if I turn on the A/C, the RPM goes about 100 RPM higher than normal. So when I turn off the A/C, the RPM won't drop too low and kill the engine. It's just a trick, but it works.