Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Power Loss after Muffler removal???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-09, 09:06 PM
viruzniper
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Power Loss after Muffler removal???

Sounds great without rear mufflers however I can feel a power loss...Guess the back pressure is needed...hmmmmI think the SC400 Likes plenty of back pressure...Is this the case/
Old 04-27-09, 09:12 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

All engines like back pressure. Some more than others. The SC, being a luxury car, is just punishing you for trying to turn it into a Mustang.

Old 04-27-09, 09:18 PM
viruzniper
Driver School Candidate

so whats the difference between removing the mufflers versus removing resonators???I read lots of ppl hear remove the resonators...Dont see what the difference is? Nice deep tone without mufflers..Also what replacment type mufflers would u all recommend....Bullet style or stock style? Brand/
Old 04-27-09, 10:29 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a cutout (bypasses mufflers) and love the sound of the raw 1UZ V8...only wish it was a little louder, less restrictive, etc...teehee...actually without the turndown tip I have on it, it is horribly loud...but the turndown makes it deeper and have a better sound/tone. i assume yours sounds about the same without my turndown. but yeah, the only thing i don't like is the loss of torque from less back pressure. i really need an electric cutout.

resonators don't cause back pressure to my knowledge or very little if any. they're just supposed to lower the sound, i think. i deleted my resonators a long time ago. it's not a huge sound difference between resonators and no resonators; very slight. Removing the mufflers will make it a lot louder than removing the resonators. Mufflers on the other hand do cause some back pressure.

as far as mufflers go, magnaflow is the popular choice, moderatly loud and pretty deep and for a louder, meaner sound, flowmaster is supposed to have a nice sound to them.

Last edited by SClean4; 04-27-09 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-27-09, 11:57 PM
wooziewest
Driver

I have unbolted my mufflers before, and now run it with mufflers and deleted resonators. No mufflers is definitely a lot louder than no resonators, but no resonators gives it a more throaty tone.

I would maybe try resetting your ecu and give it a good couple of 1000-3000rpm runs under wot to let your ecu know that it is now dealing with less back pressure.
Old 04-28-09, 08:21 AM
Ursus
Rookie

I think your confusing low end torque loss with a power loss. removing the mufflers should give you a higher end power increase but a low end torque decrease.
Old 04-28-09, 09:39 AM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Reset your ecu and look into a different exhaust setup.
Old 04-28-09, 10:18 AM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best thing to do for an SC's exhaust is to remove the part in between both Y's and have true duals with an X-pipe welded in
Old 04-28-09, 01:23 PM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by QwkSC
The best thing to do for an SC's exhaust is to remove the part in between both Y's and have true duals with an X-pipe welded in
LoL, an X-Pipe in the system would void the true dual statement
Old 04-28-09, 01:42 PM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UZZ30-SC4
LoL, an X-Pipe in the system would void the true dual statement
I don't consider an "X" or "H" pipe to void the "true dual" statement.

An X-pipe contains 2 true pipes that have been shaved off at the center of a bend and then welded together at those points:

If It's made up of 2 (not always seperate) pipes all the way from the collectors to the tips, then I consider it true dual, no matter how those pipes are connected.

Now consider a setup like this muffler has:

A setup like this Dynomax Ultra-flow has inside would violate the "true duals" because the exhaust pulses will share a single pipe even if its just for the length of 4 inches. The pulses will be crammed into the diameter of one pipe and will not be able to maintain the same velocity, they will try to slow down, also known as: Back-pressure. The former X-pipe design is far superior(and true dual ) because it maintains the diameter of the inlet pipes as much as possible

If, at one point in the exhaust, pulses share a single exhaust pipe, then it isn't a true dual setup. At least that's the logic behind my definition.

BTW, Congrats on your ASE. cert, I'm hopefully getting mine in Engine Machinist (M1) this summer

Last edited by QwkSC; 04-28-09 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-28-09, 03:05 PM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by QwkSC
I don't consider an "X" or "H" pipe to void the "true dual" statement.

An X-pipe contains 2 true pipes that have been shaved off at the center of a bend and then welded together at those points:

If It's made up of 2 (not always seperate) pipes all the way from the collectors to the tips, then I consider it true dual, no matter how those pipes are connected.

Now consider a setup like this muffler has:

A setup like this Dynomax Ultra-flow has inside would violate the "true duals" because the exhaust pulses will share a single pipe even if its just for the length of 4 inches. The pulses will be crammed into the diameter of one pipe and will not be able to maintain the same velocity, they will try to slow down, also known as: Back-pressure. The former X-pipe design is far superior(and true dual ) because it maintains the diameter of the inlet pipes as much as possible and therefore

If, at one point in the exhaust, pulses share a single exhaust pipe, then it isn't a true dual setup. At least that's the logic behind my definition.

BTW, Congrats on your ASE. cert, I'm hopefully getting mine in Engine Machinist (M1) this summer

LoL, well pointed out bro, even though i still dont believe they are true dual

My definition is an exhaust system that i can put my hand on one of the pipes and check bank1 and put my hand on the other pipe and check bank2 while knowing that any A/F, temp, pressure tests i do pertain to that bank.
Old 04-28-09, 03:59 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
All engines like back pressure. Some more than others. The SC, being a luxury car, is just punishing you for trying to turn it into a Mustang.

Old 04-28-09, 09:09 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
All engines like back pressure. Some more than others. The SC, being a luxury car, is just punishing you for trying to turn it into a Camaro.
Fixt that for ya.
Old 04-28-09, 09:18 PM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Asha'man
Fixt that for ya.
Off topic but, Speaking of Camaro's:
Name:  IMG_0210.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  82.7 KB
She definitely doesn't turn like the lexus lol. But i doubt the lex could keep up with the built 400sbc.
Old 04-29-09, 09:42 AM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 96 has all stock exhaust and it sounds mean as hell to me