Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

$5k for machine work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 04:04 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $5k for machine work?

So I found a very well respected engine shop locally that specializes in Toyota engine builds and they quoted me $5k for the following services (parts not included)

Boring the cylinders
decking
Crankshaft balanced and bearings replaced
Piston rings replaced
Valve train replaced
New OEM HG.

Does $5k seem high for that? I mean over all it would cost me around $6500 for labor and parts.

Oh the engine is 2jzge.
Old 04-16-09, 05:27 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If they are charging you 5k for that, might as well as get a swap pretty sure that route would be better no?
Old 04-16-09, 05:35 PM
RAW*WAR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no! to much buy a low mile 2jzge, dump that motor, unless you going for high hp but wouldnt you need forged pistons?
Old 04-16-09, 06:04 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah that was my thinking as well, right now I'm just weighing my options because my engine now has around 180,000 on it and I want to keep this car for another 100k or so as my daily.

thanks for the help so far guys
Old 04-16-09, 06:39 PM
rawdil49
Pole Position

for that much you could probably go to a dealership and get a brand new motor put in.
Old 04-16-09, 06:54 PM
That-Guy
Pole Position

man you could buy a great condition sc300 for that much ha, the whole car i mean.
Old 04-16-09, 07:00 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

all that work should not run you more then 2000.

my boss use to charge roughly the following rates:

crank balance, etc: 200ish
bore and hone: 350
decking: 150
hg: whatever the cost is
piston rings: whatever the cost is...labor should be included if they hone it

define "valve train replaced". all new parts? upgrades? new stock?

i know that a brand new 2jz-ge from toyota is about 3000. my buddy was offering me a motor a while ago because somehow they had one at the dealership. they wanted like 2800 for the longblock.

5000 is too much. you can buy a 2jzgte and still have money left for modification if you install it yourself.

whats wrong with your current motor?
Old 04-16-09, 07:23 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, sound's like that's not all labor. There's more than $1500 in new parts especially of you buy all new OEM valves and pistons..that's more than $1500 right there..the valves are ungodly expensive.
Old 04-16-09, 07:27 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

No way there's 5k worth of parts and work in there. You can do a high HP build for less than that. Why not just buy a used 2jz for 300 and freshen it up with new gaskets?
Old 04-16-09, 07:47 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

5sp_jzz30, well I have leaking valve seals, leaking upper oil pan, few basic leaks that are not a huge deal, low compression and white smoke at start up. I mean the motor is old and the original owner did a ****astic job of keeping it up, so I'm doing my research and deciding whether to have it all redone professionally or to do it myself.

I have contacted a few members on here and a few companies, the going rate for a 30-60k 2jzge is anywhere from $500-$1000 which is not bad at all. My issues with doing it myself is the fact that my garage is still being built so I would have to do this outside, I sold my old hoist when I moved so I would have to purchase a new hoist and stand..............which right now I dont have a place to store them lol.

RyanV: Yup that is all labor, he asked me if I had all the parts and when I said I would be purchasing them on my own he told me it would be $5k for labor and more if I want them to remove the engine.

tavarish: Thats my feeling as well.

Alot of people have told me to sell the SC300 and get something else..................I have thought about it, but honestly I do like this car and everytime I look into something else I get a sick feeling in my gut lol. I'm going to be purchasing an S2000 for my need for speed, the SC300 will be a fully DD.
Old 04-16-09, 09:12 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Contact Aliga and see if he can send an engine to a local shop to have it installed in your car. You can easily have a low mileage engine shipped and installed for less than 5K.

I want to re-do a 1UZFE for performance and it costs less than that price your asking. Get a low mileage engine
Old 04-16-09, 09:28 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DasBach
Contact Aliga and see if he can send an engine to a local shop to have it installed in your car. You can easily have a low mileage engine shipped and installed for less than 5K.

I want to re-do a 1UZFE for performance and it costs less than that price your asking. Get a low mileage engine
Yea I have been in contact with him, he is an awesome dude right now I'm leaning to toward purchasing new engine and tranny from him, but I still want to do some research. Going along with your thought of getting the engine sent to a shop and having them do the install. What I might do is have the engine sent to a shop and have them install it, then tow it back to my house and install all the components.

LOL whichever route I go I'm using all new major components, I already have a new water pump and pensioners, pulleys, radiator, injectors, belts, Door weather stripping (that **** is expensive lol) engine and tranny mounts................I still need to get a PS pump, but basically I'm looking to bring this SC300 to the way it was a few years ago. With a few new interior, a buddy of mine who works for a designer is going to redo the interior with all new leather and a new carpet.

I'm ordering new Upper and Lower control arms for the front and rear along with tire rods. I already have a Rack and pinion on order along with struts. I'm debating whether or not to lower the car, I really want to keep the car as comfortable as possible.

I would like to change with wheel bearings, but I'm thinking about getting the whole knuckle with a new bearing already installed.

Here is an oddball question. Say I get an engine with 35k on it, can get a cluster to reflect that or do i have to keep the current cluster with the 180k, legal?

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 04-16-09 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-16-09, 10:37 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

You cannot change the mileage on the cluster, it is illegal.
Old 04-16-09, 10:40 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Luxor
You cannot change the mileage on the cluster, it is illegal.
I dont mean change the amount on my cluster I have now, but what if I buy a new cluster, how does that work?
Old 04-17-09, 12:28 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lawl at 5K. You could have it rebuilt with upgraded internals and blueprinted close to that price.

Quick Reply: $5k for machine work?