Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car is running like crap after putting in gumout fuel cleaner.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 07:16 AM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car is running like crap after putting in gumout fuel cleaner.

After I put in the fuel injection cleaner my car runs like crap it idles at 500 and shakes bad. I also have a ghost in my coolant system as I don't know where my coolant is going but sometimes while driving my car temp gauge goes up but than back down. I check the coolant and my resivor is dry and the radiator is low too, I thought it would be my fan as one of the blades is missing a quarter size piece to it, but the fan has been like that since I bought the car. Yesterday the cel came on I just reset the ecu and so far the light haven't came back on, I don't know if you can jump the cel with a paper clip like you can do a honda.
Old 04-16-09, 07:58 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

You might have fouled out your plugs loosening all the dirt out of the intake system or the valves. Its like using sea foam the mother of all intake cleaners lol. It loosens all the carbon and dirt buildup and it sits on the plugs and burns. Don't have the correct spark or delayed spark then it runs like crap. You also might have a head gasket leak because your loosing coolant and you didn't mention it leaking on the ground. Smell your exhaust while it is running and see if it smells sweet. If it is your burning coolant in the exhaust or on your spark plugs fouling those out. Run the car till it warms up in the driveway and check the ground for leaks. Monitor the fluid level in the reservoir for any changes. Check the radiator cap to see if there are any bubbles coming out and if there isn't air in the system already you have a issue. If no leaks are found and the fluid level has gone down you might want to do a compression test on the block. You can reset the ECU with a paper clip under the hood there is a diagnosis connector. Search for which pins you need to reset the computer.
Old 04-16-09, 08:14 AM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

Coolant isn't on the ground, or not in the oil, the car pulls fine while driving but just at idle it's running like crap.
Old 04-16-09, 08:29 AM
Ursus
Rookie

The coolant issue could be a sticking thermostat or even air in the system.
Old 04-16-09, 08:30 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Check the plugs and check/clean your throttle body plate.
Old 04-16-09, 09:31 AM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ursus
The coolant issue could be a sticking thermostat or even air in the system.
Had this problem on my '86 dodge pickup. fairly common problem for any older vehicle.

Could also be a bubble in your coolant system though. drain and refill before replacing any thermostats.
Old 04-16-09, 11:34 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i used that and seafoamed my car from the brake booster and i noticed significant drop in mpg. change your oil; its gonna come out all dirty and should improve performance