Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

thermostat housing problems & Tstat question

Old 04-04-09, 11:26 AM
snsrushing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thermostat housing problems & Tstat question

I noticed a little antifreeze on the ground so I started to investigate and found that the thermostat housing that was replaced back in Sept./Oct. started to leak a little.
I took it to the mechanic who replaced it originally while doing some other work under the hood, and he tightened it down. Later that day it leaked again.
I just got it back after they put a new thermostat housing on and a new gasket and its still leaking! Is this something common on the 1UZ?
I seen it actually squirt out while the engine was running, if you were to look right behind the hose you can see it squirt a small stream every once and awhile onto a wire by the housing. I felt around the hose and didnt feel nothing. I also seen it drip once by the nut closest to the battery. Is it possible the piece that the housing bolts to is bad? Any idea where the hell I'd get one?

Also I'm thinking about getting a SARD thermostat is it worth the $89. The car is mostly driven on the weekends, just cruising around no competitive driving and no drag racing, at least nothing on the track.
Old 04-05-09, 07:26 AM
snsrushing
Rookie

anybody.......
Old 04-05-09, 04:06 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Is the thermostat placed right? I know on 2jz at least, there is a small little bump on the housing that needs to line up with a bump on the thermostat. I made the mistake of not lining it up once and it started leaking. Repositioned it and it was fixed.
Old 04-11-09, 07:31 AM
snsrushing
Rookie

Full story and slight tutorial, easy work.
You cant beat OEM, I went to my local dealership and got the part for $11.
I had a shop that did other work for me originally say they where going to do it for free, my only cost is parts and my personal time. I was all ready to take it up and they backed out. So I got home popped the hood and let it sit for about 2 hours. Jacked up the drivers side, slid under the drivers side front found the drain **** (huhhuh) and turned it a couple times after putting a 1 gallon jug under it to drain into. I got about 1 full gallon out and unscrewed the housing bolts, slid it off pulled t-stat out took the 0-ring off slid the new one on lined up the t-stat, put the housing back into place, tightened it down, took off the coolant cap and let it idle for a few minutes with the heat on max high and slowly added the coolant I drained. I havent had any problems yet, no squirts no drips nothing.
Old 11-01-09, 02:57 PM
Ghost ES3
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so what exactly did you change, the o ring or the thermostat?

cause of the leak???
Old 11-01-09, 04:33 PM
GSXRMack
Lead Lap

Pretty sure both new T-stat should come with the o-ring. But its worded like just the o-ring and lined it up.