Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

First major mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 01:57 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First major mod

12 lbs of rotating fun in a box

Exedy OEM replacement is going with it. Didn't have the time and money to get something more aggressive, but this should get the job done. If it's not on by tomorrow it should be on by Monday. Gonna try to do this in a day (have access to lift and special tools) along with a tranny output shaft bushing. Wish me luck!
Old 04-02-09, 02:02 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

good luck

come back and tell us how much your gas mileage has decreased
Old 04-02-09, 02:54 PM
simmode1
Rookie

Drivetrain upgrades FTMFW! I love making more power without actually making more power! lol
Old 04-02-09, 05:52 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by simmode1
Drivetrain upgrades FTMFW! I love making more power without actually making more power! lol
a lighter flywheel will not make you make more power. its a reduction in rotational mass. this allows for faster engine acceleration through the rpm range but also faster slowing down of the motor. this means you cant coast as long and have to be on the gas more....thus wasting more gas

you will accelerate faster but will make same power.
Old 04-02-09, 07:10 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^Exactly. The flywheel only lets more power be transferred from the engine to the wheels. The engine itself makes the same amount of power. Maybe I should pick up one of these when I do my clutch again. Let me know how it feels!
Old 04-02-09, 07:17 PM
Vortes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
a lighter flywheel will not make you make more power. its a reduction in rotational mass. this allows for faster engine acceleration through the rpm range but also faster slowing down of the motor. this means you cant coast as long and have to be on the gas more....thus wasting more gas

you will accelerate faster but will make same power.
Thats what he meant by making more power without actually making more power, i believe.
Old 04-02-09, 07:18 PM
SC40095
Driver

I think the last part of his sentence tells that he knew that a lighter flywheel wouldn't make more power. Just that it felt like it do to the faster acceleration.
Old 04-02-09, 07:57 PM
davidv433
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice, are u back in nj ? if you are id like to help you ... cus i need to do the same thing to my car + clutch ...
Old 04-03-09, 01:00 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by davidv433
nice, are u back in nj ? if you are id like to help you ... cus i need to do the same thing to my car + clutch ...
No and i probably won't for a long time. I'll post some tips and such when im done. Im halfway there. clutch is TOASTED as in no friction lining is left on the disc pics later.

will be a full review after im finished with it. Im going to try to finish it tonight, but it might be tough. wish me luck

also found that the rear output seal is leaking, meaning the rear output shaft bushing might be worn. It also may be the cause of my vibration problem at 60mph. Replacing that and will see what happens.

Last edited by StiCk3; 04-03-09 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-03-09, 04:02 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Default Done for today...

Wasn't able to put it all back together today but i do have the tranny out. Waiting on a new rear oil seal as i put the new one in too far (needs to be flush with the aluminum plate on the back). Here are pics of the carnage so far
First signs of damage

Pressure plate. took the tranny out with the exhaust still in there. Notice anything?

Look closer...

more goodies (itchy too)

no lining left

flywheel ***********

couple of questions while im at it...
1) starter bolt removal...was a pain to get out, is there an easier way to remove this?
2) any tips on installing the rear main w/o pushing it in too deep?

Last edited by StiCk3; 04-03-09 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-04-09, 02:15 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^ dude did you put a birds' nest in your bellhousing?? Thats insane!
Old 04-05-09, 08:17 PM
davidv433
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

never done a rear main seal on a lex, as long as its flush with the opening u should be good ... my stock clutch probably looks like that too
Old 04-06-09, 11:39 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by davidv433
never done a rear main seal on a lex, as long as its flush with the opening u should be good ... my stock clutch probably looks like that too
lol if your's looks like mine does you shouldn't be moving. I had to have my car towed into the shop because it wouldn't transfer power it would just keep on slipping.

As for the rear main, it does have to be flush with the rear cover, i confirmed it with the service manual.

Not much progress today, new pilot bearing is in, as well as a new release bearing and output shaft seal. Just need to replace the rear main then should be all smooth sailing.
Old 04-06-09, 01:28 PM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

also would like to know how the clutch performs
Old 04-10-09, 06:28 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Default Update

Car is back together and runs without a hitch. Had to bleed the clutch a few times probably from hanging around for almost a week. Only limited to 4000 rpm during the clutch break in period, but so far it feels completely different. It's a bit of a dog between lights but from a dig it feels awesome. Highway speeds it's even better. It feels great to zip in and out of traffic once again(with moderation, of course) and it feels much quicker than before. I'll update with a better review once the clutch is settled into it's new home. So far so good!

Quick Reply: First major mod