Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

i am going to put a chevy small block 350/350 turbo in my sc

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 12:14 AM
Rocket Man
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i am going to put a chevy small block 350/350 turbo in my sc

i have my sc for many years and it is a money pit im going to put a chevy 350 with a 350 turbo tranny in it. everything is old and cost too much and my ac quit working so if i use a chevy small block 350 and 350 tranny it will be cheap to work on and i can use chevy ac pump. i can use edelbrock carb and manifold and make more hp than lexus motor cheap as hell power!!!! no more problem with high price parts. i can use hurst shifter too!! parts everywhere at all auto stores and chevy 350 as dependable as lexus motor was before it got old. you crazy if you dont put chevy small block 350 with turbo 350 tranny in your car. pay too much money for old motor and parts. ill smoke past all you when i am done!!!!!
Old 04-01-09, 12:16 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

lol..................

Old 04-01-09, 12:26 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope you're being sarcastic ... but to each their own
Old 04-01-09, 12:43 AM
trunkflapp
Pole Position

Let's see if your Chevy 350 powered SC will "smoke" mine....

Quincy
Old 04-01-09, 01:53 AM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

wow man, your Idea is definitely unique.. but seriously if you wanted cheap parts the classified section on these forums is great.. I myself have a used ac compressor in my garage somewhere that I could care less about getting alot of money for. Hope your Idea works out good for you oh btw 1j swaps auto go for about 1800ish, they plug right up and make 280hp from factory.
Old 04-01-09, 02:46 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just buy a chevy..it would be cheaper in the long run
Old 04-01-09, 03:24 AM
TecnoSmurf
Lead Lap

PICs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think its a good idea if he can get the same power to dollar or better out of the car. I find my self jealous that the muscle guys can buy crate motors. I dont know why he tried to rub in the fact that he is going to pass every one on by, maybe most sc's but certainly not all.

I think the amount of work that is going to be needed to do make this happen will cost way more than what benefits that one would get out of a project like this. After all i hear that 2jz-ges go for 500 might want to give that a try.

It is a little comical that your worried about A/C when you seem to be ready to undertake a project of this magnitude .

Why are you guys being so smug? oooo wait this is CL n/m.

So OLT where is the DIY collection post?
Old 04-01-09, 04:56 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
LOL I loved that movie! But seriously, why a chevy?
Old 04-01-09, 05:59 AM
tcrow31
Pole Position

Just sell it...lol

And better be using a whole lot more than a chevy 350 with edelbrock intake mani and carb to be smoken anybody here with 2j turbo....
Old 04-01-09, 06:02 AM
davidv433
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the chevy motor gonna outlast the toyota motors? its not a bad idea, just like putting an rb motor on an old mustang and drift through the mountains in japan ......
Old 04-01-09, 07:47 AM
roxanne
Pole Position

Yeah...that was painful to read. The idea of American muscle in an sc is just strange...haha I never thought I'd hear the word edelbrock uttered on Club Lexus. I just hope you can back yourself up after claiming to be faster than everyone when you're done
Old 04-01-09, 10:11 AM
Deepa
Driver School Candidate

Not a bad idea, but I wouldn't go throwing an iron block oldskool 350 in; There are far better options, even if you're looking to save a few bucks.

The LS series motors are great, and the 5.3 pull outs are pretty cheap, less than a grand. If you can wait and look for a bargain on a Trailblazer SS motor, that one is all aluminum. If you could care less about the weight, the 6.0L block from the Escalade would be nice.

Benefit to LS is that you get all the LS1 technology at a third the price, and almost anything that will fit an LS1/2 will fit a 5.3. And... you could buy LS motor mounts from one of a few 'hot rod' shops online, they're kinda universal, weld or bolt to wherever you want them.

That being said, I bought my SC400 to build, 32 valves, all aluminum, 4.0L of displacement, what's not to like? And anything you can do a Chevy/Ford/Mopar, you can do to a 1UZ, its just not as easy or cheap, unless you're resourceful.
Old 04-01-09, 11:40 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Man
you need your keys snatched if you are paying upkeep on an old expensive motor that nobody makes anything for. chevy 350 has all the parts in the world and crate motor is cheap. all parts like ac and alternator are cheap and thousands of bolt ons.

I guess thats the difference between the people who BUY their car rather than BUILD their car...

Glad I am the one who BUILDS the car...

You should of started with a different platform if you are that willing to drop in a "350"... Welcome to cars with an (L) on it... they are not cheap to work on.
Old 04-01-09, 11:46 AM
mcwop23
Driver

actually i am always surprised at how cheap things tend to be for the sc300. You can get a whole longblock for a few hundred at anytime.
Old 04-01-09, 05:55 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

I can see where this is going. Rocket Man you've got a creative idea. I wish you all the luck in the world with your project. You should definitely look through your first post a realize how much you are putting down a Lexus. Obviously it is very hard to compare the two because they come from two different worlds. A lot of people are not going to be happy. I'll leave this open for a few more days. If it goes downhill and you do not adjust your attitude I will go ahead and close this thread. Also this thread has nothing to do with general SC topics so for future reference please keep your engine/performance related threads in its proper section. Most importantly do not forget to search.

Quick Reply: i am going to put a chevy small block 350/350 turbo in my sc