Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Electrical Problem (Fuel)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-09, 07:19 PM
shaodome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem (Fuel)

Tonight...it rained...go out after the rain and the car won't start. Cranked for a second and then died. Would not fire after that. For some reason I assumed this to be fuel related.

I go to the engine bay, pop the diag box and jump the FP to B+, turn the key on and nothing..no fuel rushing through the lines. Removed the jumper and put it back and now the fuel pump kicked on. Go to try and start the car, nothing. Remove jumper and repeat...quick fire and die.

Now I'm annoyed (was supposed to go to dinner). Jump the fuel pump again and this time the car fires. I leave it running for a minute while I put back the carpet (checking wiring at ECU (its pretty janky there from the previous owner) and start cleaning up...fuel pump is still jumped. I go to put the fuse box cover back on and see smoke! I immediately kill the ignition and pull off the now steaming tape. The Black/red wire that runs from the lower fusebox area (actually comes out of an orange plug adjacent to it) and runs back to the fuel pump ECU is really HOT.

The previous owner did the fuel pump bypass as this car has an aristo swap/ecu.

I pulled my jumper in the diag box and tried again to crank the car...this time it fired right up. I tried this repeatedly and it kept starting like normal and the black/red wire just remained a little warm. It's almost like the fuel pump motor was stuck?

The previous owner always drove around with the FP/BP+ jumper and when finished driving had to pull it. Said it was necessary for proper fueling...I just figured he had no idea what he was talking about...which for 99% of everything else he said was true.

Now I'm worried about driving the car. It's difficult to fix an issue when it just randomly goes away.

Any input would be appreciated...

Oh the car is a 1992 SC300 w/ and Aristo Swap