Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My Manual SC400

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-09, 10:27 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Manual SC400

Hey guys, i have been a member here for a while now but i haven't been posting much the past couple of years... probably because college is busy when you are a mechanical engineering major. Anyway, i have done a few things that i have been meaning to post about. I tell myself ill post when im 100% done, but who am i kidding? It'll never be done.

I guess ill start with the most important mod; my 6-speed swap. Here are the specs:

-those adaptor plates that seem to continually float around the internet
-Custom made aluminum flywheel
-6 puck clutch
-ss clutch line
-getrag tranny
-JDM supra limited slip diff and axels (4.266)
-one piece aluminum driveshaft
-custom tunnel support brace (not sure of the proper name)
-custom delrin differential ear mounts (really cut down on the wheel hop)

Shot of the flywheel and engine

Everything fit really well, flywheel was perfect.

Driveshaft from the Driveshaftshop.com is rated to 800hp

here is a bad picture of the shaft in place.

Here you can see the diff bushings and the brace i cut out on the CNC mill at school. Also half of the exhaust i made

Also required was the supra tunnel cover. I spot welded it on, then lined the underneath of mine with some urethane paint on bed liner, worked like a charm.

I guess you may want some feedback on the feel of the car now. All i can say is it really woke her up, a lot. The "driveability" with the flywheel is pretty good, it is lightweight, but its a pretty big flywheel so it still has good inertial properties. The tranny chatter is much much quieter than i have heard from supra owners with aluminum flywheels. This clutch also bolts up to any supra application clutches, so that leaves the door wide open to me for future clutches. If anybody would like more information on the flywheel, just let me know and ill send you in the right direction. I had to wait 6 months for the R&D to be completed, and now you can get it in a week.

The shifter is in the absolute perfect location with the stock SC300 manual shift boot bezel. I know i don't have a picture of it now, but i'll try and post one up soon.

In the world of a little power, i built myself an exhaust system with mandrel bends over winter break. It is 2.25" straight pipe to two high flow resonators. Sounds amazing! I also built the x-pipe because well... it was fun. lol I don't have a picture of the entire setup, but you get the idea. I also decided to polish up the stock tips really well and i used those to cap off the project. I hope nobody kills me for not posting up a sound file... ill update in a little when i take some video. Sorry!

In other news i finished up my trunk setup. I have my battery relocated in the rear with the amp to power an aftermarket free-air sub in the stock location. I built the entire setup and im pretty happy with it so far. You can't tell in this photo, but there are blue neon lights to light the setup up at night. I also need to take the carpet to a tailor and have them put a nice seam around the edges where i cut.
Old 03-25-09, 10:27 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

In the world of paint, i have taken on a project i don't think anybody has ever done. I have always really hated the side marker lenses on our cars, i feel that they really ruin the flow of the car. So.... i molded them away. I also molded off the center cross link in the lower part of the bumper (hard to figure out how to explain) and i debadged the bumper. I also have a couple of vertex fenders (im tired of rubbing occasionally) and a vertex front lip. I decided not to paint the lip, and im going to wrap it in CF, i just hope it will look good. First time painting, and i have a little orange peel in my clear, but when a nice day rolls around ill be wet sanding it off and buffing it to perfection. Anyway, pictures are worth a thousand words, right?

First came the fiberglass support so nothing cracks.

Say bye bye to the ugly lenses

I highly recommend anyone using these fenders to ADD LOTS of support to all the mounting tabs. I fear the paint will crack at these areas over time..

Fresh paint is pretty (homemade paint booth)

car is very dirty in picture...

Again, i apologize for terrible pictures... no sun!!

Bigger pictures here
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...m/IMG_1022.jpg
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da.../IMG_10241.jpg
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da.../IMG_10251.jpg

Projects to come:
-wet sand all freshly painted items
-wrap lip in CF
-install new rear daizen bushings to help get rid of this god forsaken wheel hop
-install a couple defi guages for my nitrous setup that i hope to finnish in the next month or so

TAKE VIDEOS and more pictures!!

Anyway, this is my contribution to this forum, if you have any questions, fire away

Last edited by xirforever; 03-25-09 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 10:29 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Trade you strait up, mine has a train horn =P

but seriously i love it, great job man
Old 03-25-09, 10:30 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

reminds me of a mustang (for some reason) i think its because of the no side lens thing.
nice tho!
Old 03-25-09, 10:36 PM
xirforever
Lead Lap

oh, and does anyone know if it is possible to host HD videos like you can regular ones on youtube?
Old 03-25-09, 10:40 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i BELIEVE, and correct me if im wrong....
if your a photobucket pro member you can
Old 03-25-09, 10:41 PM
SoarerAZ
Pole Position

Very cool, glad to see more manual converted 400's. Back when I owned my 95...a conversion like this was something that was only tangible by thought and never actually accomplished by anyone in the country.
Old 03-25-09, 10:48 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is great work, such a cool job! Everything done by yourself, that's the way! I wish I had the resources to do that type of extensive work.
Old 03-25-09, 11:05 PM
ISC400
Pole Position

Very CLEAN! nice work any video clips of v8 reving?
Old 03-25-09, 11:08 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i envy you
Old 03-25-09, 11:15 PM
1uzfj40
Driver School Candidate

Pure sexiness! And for the record, I don't think that she looks anything like a mustang.. Good job there Nicholas. Now hurry up and get that nitrous!
Old 03-25-09, 11:36 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

dang i like it man, i want a 97+ 6spd (sheesh even a w58) SC400 so bad..

i really like the shaved side marker light to! i always hated them for some reason..

i'd definetly like to see some vids.
Old 03-25-09, 11:49 PM
logicalman
Driver

nice shaved corner lense
Old 03-26-09, 12:09 AM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

wow..car looks nice and clean..i dont mine the side markers imo..but looks good on your ride!
Old 03-26-09, 12:09 AM
JamesN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice good work.

Quick Reply: My Manual SC400