Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How much $ to go fast?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 12:35 AM
OG_SC300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much $ to go fast?

Heres the situation im in..i went to the track in my evo and ran an 11.87 with a 1.64 60 ft (stock turbo stock block)i did all the work myself and spent only $3500 from it running 13.2 last season. at the same time its not good enough for me...while i have a perfectly good SC300 as a DD
*i need honest opinions here*
i need a rediculous "track/street" (low 10's-high 9's) car im going to have to dump about $20k+ into the evo to accomplish this and then i lose its looks and driveablity

my new plan build the SC its a 2jz duhh *not going for a show car*
Engine: how much are people spending to get the 2jz-ge block built 9:1 or 9.5:1 (i plan on boost and most likely no2)? what head do you use. stock or are they using some other head? or should i look for a 1jz-gte max power output?
Tranny: its an auto who builds trannys/torque converters? axle problems at what HP?
Turbo: thats just lol at the moment we can discuss this if this build goes through

if someone who actually did a build can PM me and give me a ROUGH HP numbers for what price range. i would really apperciate it i know this is very short and theres many sleepness nights ahead of me either route i go but im only 20 and not trying to pick up another job just to have fun

also if you guys think im crazy let me know that too
Old 03-18-09, 01:12 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

In before the lock LOL
Old 03-18-09, 01:14 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What you need...hrmmmm....

I'd say about Tree Fity.
Old 03-18-09, 01:27 AM
OG_SC300
Rookie

a birch tree or like a cypress? just put that under hood and what garanteed 750+rwhp?
Old 03-18-09, 01:50 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lfrers
In before the lock LOL
Originally Posted by Jewcano
What you need...hrmmmm....

I'd say about Tree Fity.
Originally Posted by OG_SC300
a birch tree or like a cypress? just put that under hood and what garanteed 750+rwhp?
He posted IBTL because this has been covered many times.....

I posted Tree Fity, sound it out (Three Fifty = $3.50) as a joke, and basically this question has been covered countless times and a simple search will yield you everything you need to know .
Old 03-18-09, 01:56 AM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
He posted IBTL because this has been covered many times.....

I posted Tree Fity, sound it out (Three Fifty = $3.50) as a joke, and basically this question has been covered countless times and a simple search will yield you everything you need to know .
lol don't it suck when you have to explain your jokes
Old 03-18-09, 03:07 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

you don't want to buy an SC
Old 03-18-09, 09:46 AM
OG_SC300
Rookie

thanks for the quick answers...i already have the sc its my DD. i did search i know how to use the search function i just wantted a a quick answer and some prices thrown my way cause no one has prices a 1jz-gte block is about $1000-1600 is all i got

this was more of a price thread then HOW TO go fast thread...so again if boostd people have any input please let me know
Old 03-18-09, 03:18 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the short answer: You'll spend 20k+ to do 10s or 9s in this car.

Slightly longer explanation: Things break. At that power level, things will break more frequently....expensive things. I've never seen a 1jz SC in the 9s, but stock as a rock (engine wise) you can get them into 11s with a fair bit of magic and tuning.

if you want fun, keep the evo, don't waste your money on a platform that won't fulfill your expectations. You want a cheap 10 second car? Get an 80s camaro and rebuild a big block, or get a 1g dsm, gut it out, and put a truck turbo on it. Cheap and fast. Not reliable at all though.
Old 03-18-09, 03:18 PM
SoarerAZ
Pole Position

Fast is subjective....

You can have a fast car, that's reliable, but it won't be cheap.
You can have a fast car, that's cheap, but it won't be reliable.

Power goals? High 9's...10's...Let's put it this way. Go look at car's like Ryan Woon's WOTM Street Supra. It's an 8 second car that can be driven on the streets. Go look at the parts list...not exactly inexpensive. Post your budget/What you're willing to spend at a maximum.That will narrow down what you can/can't do...
Old 03-18-09, 03:50 PM
mcwop23
Driver

just throw an evo red on the mitsu and max it out on C16

i trapped 119mph on $1300 in mods on my evo, a red turbo and injectors gets you easily into the 10s (not low 10s though) for another couple grand
Old 03-18-09, 07:14 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to Club Lexus OG. You might want to check the Lexus Vehicles for Sale forum area. There are a good amount of cars there and you can get a decent idea of what it would cost to build something like what you want.

I don't think I've seen a below 11 second car built for less than 20K, one that I'd actually be proud of at least.

Good luck, research and you'll find out how you want things built
Old 03-18-09, 07:17 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

keep the evo for all your go-fast needs.

trust me

a fast sc will never handle for crap. it wont hook up at your whim. and it wont be cheap.

im around the evo crowd all the time and aside from my SC all i work on pretty much as Evo's. they are amazing cars. they handle superb, especially on some stance 3-ways or robispec v3 coilovers.

the SC is your daily driver. are you converting it to weekend track duty? not worth it. with an evo you can keep a baby seat and still go out on runs with the best of them

make your SC look nice and get "nice looking car" attention with it.

an evo is just a much better track/racing platform then the SC/supra. it sucks to say it but its true. unless you do all the work yourself building an SC to be "fast" is a lot of money. you will probably need to sell the evo to make the SC as fast as you want it to be.
Old 03-18-09, 10:16 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

gonna cost atleast 10k or 7 atleast
you could NA-t, turbo400 auto transmission , tt auto dif, meth injection, 25psi, then your in the 10's
go to www.clubna-t.com
Old 03-18-09, 11:03 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Room's gettin dizzy from..... from.. all the gayness.... Cal.... I luv ya...

Quick Reply: How much $ to go fast?