Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Custom exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-02, 08:51 PM
SC400NYC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom exhaust

Today I had custom bent 2.5" pipes, and hayamee exhausts installed up to the cat without rear resonators; also a custom made intake. It preformed much better than stock. But I didn't like the sound, so I put in new high flow resonators. Now I get a nice deep sound sort off corvette , but not domestic ,almost italian. I'm very pleased. I am now considering changing the piping
from the engine to a high flow cat, because as explained to me the dual pipes from the engine are compressed to half their size to fit in the standard cat; so by doing this I get rid of alot of restrictions.I'm not sure if I should keep the upper resonators by the engine, or start the piping at that point?
Old 03-07-02, 09:18 PM
cupete
Pole Position

Hey sounds good, so the trick is to replace the existing resonators with a high performance resonators, right? Almost having two additional straight through mufflers I guess.

Have you try to drive around in an underground parking structure? I've replaced my factory mufflers with Magnaflow 2.5 inch straight through mufflers, it sounds a lot deeper when starting from a stop sign but still too quiet for my taste so I was thinking of replacing the rear resonators with the resonators made by Magnaflow, which are high performance resonators, until I heard my car in an underground parking strucuture. My car sounded like a beast in an underground parking structure, sounded a lot like Ferrarri.... Only if I drive under tunnell all the time....

Peter~
Old 03-08-02, 11:25 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

resonators are different than straight-through mufflers

much different

SC400NYC, what about the sound did you not like?
Old 03-10-02, 06:53 AM
SC400NYC
Driver School Candidate

without the resonators it sounded like an untamed beast at all levels , now it kind of reminds me of a Z28 or Z06 big 8 muscle
car at take off up untill 40 mph, I feel an increase in power, it might be the intake I don't know? When I smash down the pedal
and the the car opens up it sounds crazy.

Last edited by SC400NYC; 03-10-02 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-11-02, 05:43 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Bean
resonators are different than straight-through mufflers

much different

SC400NYC, what about the sound did you not like?
Bean, since different people have different definitions of things, what do you consider the difference between a resonator and a straight thru muffler?

I've always understood that a resonator is a 'front muffler' usually circular in size with a straight pipe, and a straight thru muffler is a 'terminus muffler' usually oval in size and has a pipe that is usually (but not always) offset. But they both have a perforated straight thru pipe usually wrapped in ceramic/stainless Steel wool/ or fiberglass.

The only difference is that a resonator is usually directional flow, and a Straight Thru muffler is non directional flow.

What are your thoughts.
Old 03-11-02, 08:03 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my thoughts of a resonator is more of a dynomax bullet

basically thin walls; just a piece of piping with a very small chamber over it; it does not restrict exhaust flow too much

a straight through muffler is more of a dynomax ultraflow
its basically a big resonator much larger chamber around the perforated pipe
Old 03-11-02, 08:16 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Then, using your defination, Bean, I'd say we should only use straight thru mufflers in our exhausts as opposed to resonators.

The Dynomax bullets are almost pointless for street use, so why bother. They are great for racing when you need to drop a dB or 2. Their oval ultarflo's are actually decent for a straight thru muffler.

Has anyone checked out Edelbrocks RPM series mufflers? I plan on getting them for my front section of my exhaust right after the X-pipe. Then replacing the factory rear "resonators" with the Dynomax 6" ultraflows. And ending into a polished Borla straight thru's.

Hopefully it will not be too loud w/o cats.

It'll be summertime before I do it, but I'll post pics when its done.

Keith
Old 03-11-02, 10:16 AM
SC400NYC
Driver School Candidate

Question

Did I lose hp as well as sound when I put the resonators back
on? even though they are so called_HI FLO_ "made for 2.5" pipe" ?
Old 03-12-02, 12:39 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by SC400NYC
Did I lose hp as well as sound when I put the resonators back
on? even though they are so called_HI FLO_ "made for 2.5" pipe" ?
Most likely not. If its a true straight thru design, then the resonator will flow just about as much as a stright pipe. The resonator will quite the car a liittle.
Old 03-18-02, 10:10 AM
SC400NYC
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

When I was installing my new exhaust, The guy threre recomended I go all the way to the engine,
because he says there is to much restriction at the cat and suggested that I eliminate the two resonators or little mufflers right after the engine and convert to a larger cat to pass NYS inspection. Has any one tried this or some thing similer or
have any feedback?
Old 03-18-02, 01:52 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to agree with the muffler man about the restrictive stock cats located right behind the manifolds.I was going to just replace the two cats with a single unit,use the stock system for a starter system.