Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ECU Problem? White Smoke, Running Extremely Rich

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-09, 07:03 PM
CBK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how would i know if my ecu is fried with out diagnosing it
cause i got the white smoke , it smells like unburnt fuel so it might be the ecu ,
i have low compression in 3 out of the 8 cylinders , you guys think the ecu could be the reason for low compression or its engine issue
all b getting a leak down test soon to c what the issue is with the engine any chancse its the ecu thats also causing low compression ???
Old 04-03-09, 10:53 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CBK
how would i know if my ecu is fried with out diagnosing it
cause i got the white smoke , it smells like unburnt fuel so it might be the ecu ,
i have low compression in 3 out of the 8 cylinders , you guys think the ecu could be the reason for low compression or its engine issue
all b getting a leak down test soon to c what the issue is with the engine any chancse its the ecu thats also causing low compression ???
If it's ur ecu then you're going to have white smoke that smells like fuel coming out your exhaust on really cold start ups, your car is going to feel faster when the engine temperature is cold, and feel really sluggish when at normal operating temperature.

I dont know if it'll solve your low compression problem though.
Old 04-09-09, 01:45 PM
OMD
Pole Position

ey man, had the same problem with my 400, i replaced the caps on my ecu and now my car is running a lot better.. not perfect but a lot better, no more white smoke just a little when i start it from cold.. i do have to chance the ecu to get rid of the problem completely.. but its running good for now(saving up for an aftermarket ems).. it's also better on the fuel consumption.. before, my car would eat up 15 liters of fuel in just 2 kilometers!!!
Old 06-17-09, 12:59 AM
Mashie
Driver School Candidate

man seems like alot of the sc300/400 have the white smoke problem. i have a 92 sc300 and i also have white smoke as well. i think i have the ecu problem as well cuz when i first start up the car there is bunch of white smoke comming out of the exhaust and it smell like fuel. especially when i park it the car in the garage. u can almost cry from it cuz of running rich. but the white smoke only come out when its sitting while idling or when i get on it and there is a big puff of white smoke comming out from the exhaust.
Old 06-17-09, 01:26 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mashie
man seems like alot of the sc300/400 have the white smoke problem. i have a 92 sc300 and i also have white smoke as well. i think i have the ecu problem as well cuz when i first start up the car there is bunch of white smoke comming out of the exhaust and it smell like fuel. especially when i park it the car in the garage. u can almost cry from it cuz of running rich. but the white smoke only come out when its sitting while idling or when i get on it and there is a big puff of white smoke comming out from the exhaust.
yup that sounds exactly right. Do you experience any loss of acceleration when warmed up?
Old 05-21-10, 12:35 PM
SC400SAIF
Rookie

maybe this is a little noobish question but how do you reset the ecu?
Old 07-05-12, 08:18 PM
SCZack
Driver School Candidate

Hey there you guys/anyone??? I've got a '93 SC400.. I'm thinking it's suffering from the same ECU problems everyone is talking about.. I replaced my capicitors and it's still doing the same thing. It'll crank up and run for about ten sec. and peter-out. No CEL comes on at initial key turn or when it dies. I'm trying to figure out what wire sends source voltage to the ECU and which is gound. I figured that even after I changed the caps, had I done that incorrectly it would have popped, smoked, or done something to let me know that it was getting juice. Anyone have a schematic for a '93 SC400's ECU?? Thanks
Old 02-12-15, 09:12 AM
Anion
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

This is an old thread.. But my car was running rich u can say.. Smells like gas... However.. 2000 sc300 200k miles...

One day it was running perfectly then the next morning it wouldn't start...I keep my car up to Maintence.. But now it doesn't start?... And I get no spark... But the white smoke symptoms and gas smell was there every time I punch the gas pedal... And cold start.. Could my ecu be the culprit?