Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

By Request: Aftermarket Auto Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-09, 08:16 PM
Justinizme
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having one hell of a time understanding this D.I.Y... It's annoying me! I wish I could follow this, and not sure why I can't.. Just confused me!

I'll take a look again in the morning.. maybe a nice nights sleep will help my brain understand! Great write up none the less.
Old 11-02-09, 05:27 PM
pd-cuevas
Driver School Candidate

Justinizme did u manage to get it?
Old 11-02-09, 05:50 PM
Justinizme
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pd-cuevas
Justinizme did u manage to get it?
Well, kind of.. Just not following it the best I wish I could..

EDIT: What I don't understand, is how does the shifter stay still? If you tighten the screws down that come on the shift ***, it wont allow it to move up and down.. And can you use a toggle switch for your overdrive? Just those two little problems.. Aside from that, I think I have it..

Last edited by Justinizme; 11-02-09 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-02-09, 07:40 PM
pd-cuevas
Driver School Candidate

Justinizme for the overdrive button im not too sure if you cna use a toggle switch what i did was rout the wire to the inside of my center armrest and used the stock overdrive button
as for the shift **** not going down cuz of the screw what i used for screws were these could be found at home depot or any hardware store:

if u got any other questions let me know
Old 11-02-09, 08:20 PM
Justinizme
Pole Position

Justinizme for the overdrive button im not too sure if you cna use a toggle switch what i did was rout the wire to the inside of my center armrest and used the stock overdrive button
as for the shift **** not going down cuz of the screw what i used for screws were these could be found at home depot or any hardware store:

if u got any other questions let me know
I appreciate the help, but still don't understand how the shift **** can still move after it is tightened down.. Or is it tightened enough to not slip off but will still have play in the **** itself? Basically what im looking for is how is the shifter secured.. Without it flopping all over the place.. So basically, like the factory shifters shift button, but with a better looking design.. How does it still slide up and down without having side to side play is my biggest question.. Sorry if this is annoying some..
Old 05-13-14, 03:07 AM
gusgordo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dirty SC
pretty much did the same to mines except i didnt cut or shave anything off and used a different shifter ****!

check it

Hey how you going I changed my sc300 over to the manual surround I can't go any lower than drive does any body else have this issue?
Old 05-13-14, 03:56 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just finished mine yesterday still not done since i have a soarer its harder to find a 5speed bezel so might have to custom make one with the bezel i have right now

That came out looking decent, I think I'd try it with an OEM 98+ Auto Shifter. Much easier then going gated shifter route.
Old 05-14-14, 08:06 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Slightly off-topic, but why do the auto shift ***** on these cars take such a beating? I can sort of understand a manual **** wearing out, but who rests their hand on an auto ****??

I picked up a less worn OEM auto **** and am wondering if there's anything I can do to ward off further leather degradation (other than the obvious leather conditioning), or if it's just a flaw in the materials Lexus used?
Old 05-14-14, 10:08 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Slightly off-topic, but why do the auto shift ***** on these cars take such a beating? I can sort of understand a manual **** wearing out, but who rests their hand on an auto ****??

I picked up a less worn OEM auto **** and am wondering if there's anything I can do to ward off further leather degradation (other than the obvious leather conditioning), or if it's just a flaw in the materials Lexus used?
i think it's because the leather is wrapped around a pretty sharp edge, so to begin with the leather is very tight in that area and it only takes a little bit of wear to make it look like shiz, that's wat i think at least.
Old 05-14-14, 11:32 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
i think it's because the leather is wrapped around a pretty sharp edge, so to begin with the leather is very tight in that area and it only takes a little bit of wear to make it look like shiz, that's wat i think at least.
Makes sense. It also looks to be pretty thin leather, which would compound the problem. I may contact an upholsterer and see if there are any products out there for leather that act like a wood filler. If I can beef up the thinned section on the top edge of my "new" shift ****, I'm confident it'll last for many more years before looking ratty like most.
Old 05-29-14, 09:51 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

can someone post a comparison in size of their new shifters and the old one? i just bought one off ebay and it's like half of the size, i'm thinking it will be too small lol. here's a picture
Attached Thumbnails By Request: Aftermarket Auto Shifter-1401398944554.jpg  
Old 12-14-14, 10:22 AM
sc4lex00
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oldManTan
can someone post a comparison in size of their new shifters and the old one? i just bought one off ebay and it's like half of the size, i'm thinking it will be too small lol. here's a picture
i just bought the same one on ebay
i think it looks okay

Old 12-17-14, 12:38 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

how'd u install it? i looked at it, thought it looked too small and just put it away. that actually doesn't look bad at all. where's your O/D now?
Old 12-22-14, 10:35 PM
sc4lex00
Driver School Candidate

For the shift **** i just copy what 2.5tsoarer did.
For the o/d it only 2 wires (white both of them) i cut them and wired it to switch
Old 02-11-15, 02:45 PM
daSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone had any success with other alternatives for the automatic shift ****. Looking to change mine really soon.

Quick Reply: By Request: Aftermarket Auto Shifter