Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rear Output shaft seal r154 HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-09, 07:21 AM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Output shaft seal r154 HELP

Hey I am changing the rear seal on my car. I am installing the new one from toyota. I forgot how the old one was seated. I wasn't sure if it was flush or not. Can anybody help me real quick? Thanks in advance.

Here's how it looks right now.

Last edited by SH_JZZ30; 02-13-09 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-13-09, 09:25 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm that's the back of the late model soarer and it's different that the average R154. The U.S. R154 has a large circular shield surrounding the seal which yours doesn't or has been removed. I do know that it should be at least flush. What you have is probably fine.
Old 02-13-09, 10:26 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

seat it flush with the housing. if the seal is not all the way in then it is not held in place completely. tap it flush.

the "shield" is not a big deal. you can probably get one off a w58 or a r154 if you really wanted to. i doubt toyota is stupid enough to redesign such a simple part when revising a transmission and have a different variation for old and new gen transmissions.
Old 02-13-09, 10:58 AM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

Yeah the shield is just a dust collar. When I had my 240sx and put an sr20det I didn't use it and it was fine.

OK I installed the seal flush and put everything back together. I still had the car on jack stands so I tested it to see if it's still leaking. And it's definitely still leaking. Am I using the wrong seal? I bought one for a 91 supra turbo 5pd from toyota. The part number is 90311-40001.
Old 02-13-09, 11:51 AM
Slow_Sc3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the rear seal doesnt have to be flush or perfect with the back of the transmission.

just order a new seal from toyota i didnt have any problems getting one.

make sure you dont damage the seal when you install it!
Old 02-13-09, 12:31 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slow_Sc3
the rear seal doesnt have to be flush or perfect with the back of the transmission.
Yeah it should be pretty close actually.....

Originally Posted by Slow_Sc3
just order a new seal from toyota i didnt have any problems getting one.

He did.......
Old 02-14-09, 10:10 AM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

OK I brought the car to a local performance shop right by my house and the guy said he will put it in for me on monday. This is actually my 3rd replacement.

The 1st one i messed up because I didnt have a socket or seal installer tool to put the seal in. I just used a rubber mallet and I think I damaged it.

The 2nd seal is the one above. After I got it flush, it still leaked. I used a large socket and rubber mallet. When I brought it to the shop, we looked at it and I can see its not leaking from around the seal. It's actually leaking from the middle where the driveshaft slip yoke goes through. And I have no play on the output shaft.

I bought another one from the dealer. So hopefully they can install it with the proper tool and I'll be good. I just hate having to work on my car in tight spots. I wish I can put a lift in my garage.

I was able to install my daizen steering rack bushings so at least I got something accomplished. The output shaft seal isn't had to get to. It takes about 15 minutes to get to it once it's jacked up. I didnt have to remove the exhaust. I just unbolted the heat shield under the center support bearing (4 nuts) and slid it back. Unbolt the 3 bolts from the differential. Remove the 2 bolts from the driveshaft center support bearing. And you should be able to pull out the driveshaft from the transmission.

Last edited by SH_JZZ30; 02-16-09 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-16-09, 09:34 AM
SH_JZZ30
Lexus Champion

OK I finally got it fixed. And I couldnt believe it. I ended up buying the seal from advance auto for an sc300 and it fit perfect. The part number is 223840. It's the same part number for the mkiii supras turbo and n/a and all sc300.

The toyota one didn't work. The inner diameter was too big for the driveshaft slip yoke. It wasn't sealing it. The advance auto was slightly smaller. All the lexus model years for the SC are the same from the dealer. And all the toyota supra turbo were the same as the lexus.

I called today and asked them if the supra n/a 5spd was a different number and he said yes. So maybe that would've fit. But I already got it done and toyota is too far of a drive when advance is right down the street.
Old 02-16-09, 09:50 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Good find and thanks for the info! I might try this as I have replaced my seal 3 times and they have all leaked.... not near as much as yours.... but still slowly and surely it will begin to leak out.