Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A few questions about the 1jz engine sets on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-09, 02:12 PM
Billy305
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default A few questions about the 1jz engine sets on ebay

I am looking to add some performance to my sc300 and I have been bee considering going either the na-t or 1jz-gte route. Right now I have a 97 sc300 with 76k miles and its an auto. I daily drive the car and would just like a quick car to run around in, nothing crazy. I started looking at the Na-t route but im thinking that I 1jz might be better. I have seen 2 1jz motors on ebay and other place that either come with a 5 speed or a auto. Is the 5 speed that comes with the 1jz a w58 or is it come other kind of tranmission that is capable of holding the additonal power from the 1j. The same question with the auto attached to the 1j. Is that the same transmission I have in my car now or something different. I am kind of leaning towards a 1j swap now because it seems to be more of a plug and play deal and be done with it, please correct me if I am wrong (other than small modifications). The engine sets witht he auto or 5 speed seem to be about the same price. If I kept my car auto after a swap I think it would be cheaper than going to 5 speed. I kind of would like a 5 speed though and was wondering what the additional estimated cost would be for converting it as to keeping auto.

All of the ads I find mention that it has a 5 speed or an auto, but do not mention which one. My goal is to have 300-350 rwp with a tranny auto or 5speed that can handle the power daily.
Old 02-11-09, 04:45 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude i really don't want to sound like an ******* but if you do some research you will have all your questions answered ...
Old 02-11-09, 04:59 PM
Billy305
Advanced

Well that is what I am trying to do. Im mostly interested in know which transmissions they come with.

I assumed any 5 speed attached to a 1jzgte is a r154, but it seems odd to me that I can buy the 1jz-gte with the tranny on it for 2,300 shipped to my door and at the same time some people are paying more than half of that for the tranny alone.

Last edited by Billy305; 02-11-09 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-11-09, 05:11 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have known a few people that ordered engine sets from ebay, and ended up getting junk. i would highly recommend going with a reputable supplier.
Old 02-11-09, 06:22 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just na-t your car man, there is no replacement for displacement.
Old 02-11-09, 06:53 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

When shopping around for motor sets I would much better prefer to do it locally. Most foreign engine distributors do not know anything about anything so be very careful when making a purchase. Most motors on eBay are either damaged or ridiculously overpriced. My advice to you would be to just purchase from someone near you so you can actually take a look at what you are looking at before you buy it. Warranties are a must.
Old 02-11-09, 08:53 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
just na-t your car man, there is no replacement for displacement.
werd! that's why i i'm doin 1.5jz
Old 02-12-09, 04:53 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

definetly do not get your motor from Ebay..

Jhot is about the only place i trust, i used one of there motorsets for my last SC and it was complete, swap ran mint.

i paid $1035 for everything.. *auto 1jz swap

normally you'll pay more if you can even find a 5spd swap, but most of the 5spd swaps i find are for MK3 supra's.
Old 02-12-09, 08:13 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

I would hold off on the 1JZ and actually invest in a 2JZ-GTE instead. First off, your car is OBDII so wiring might be a bit difficult because it was never made with the older 1JZs (they came with 1JZ VVT-i in 96 i believe). It can be done, but i think you might be swapping for some older parts in order for it to fit. The 2JZ-GTE is only $500-$1000 more and it has much better potential for power and should be easier to source swap parts. And as said before, no replacment for displacement...
Old 02-12-09, 10:45 AM
Billy305
Advanced

For me a 2jz-gte would be ideal but I don't see them around to often. I have checked JHot and a few other places but they do not have any. I have also called some places and the only ones that have 1jz's are the places I have not heard of. My Ideal setup that I think could be realistic is the 2jz-gte with a r154, im just having a little harder of a time finding those individually.
Old 02-12-09, 11:24 AM
One_jZ_SC3
Lexus Champion

Like he said, just go NA-T or more realistically 2jz GTE, if you live in Miami I know some places where you can go look at the motor sets to see exactly what you are getting..I would recommend you to stay away from Ebay, I seen too many horror stories lol!
Old 02-12-09, 11:52 AM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

i agree with the crappyness of flea bay, but i will say that i did get my motor set off of there from a supplier in canada, got it for 899 plus shipping came out to just over 1k engine, auto trans wiring harness ecu complete..... this was like 2 years ago though. the engine was in good contition too. maybe i just got lucky. but seriously dude, na-t would be the way to go, theres a drewgo na-t manifold in the sc classifieds... good luck clubna-t for the na-t stuff supra forums for 2j-1j stuff along with cl. my bad the drewgo manifold is for the 2jzgte......
Old 02-12-09, 02:54 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...lete-swap.html
Old 02-12-09, 07:27 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Billy305
For me a 2jz-gte would be ideal but I don't see them around to often. I have checked JHot and a few other places but they do not have any. I have also called some places and the only ones that have 1jz's are the places I have not heard of. My Ideal setup that I think could be realistic is the 2jz-gte with a r154, im just having a little harder of a time finding those individually.
For convenience sake why don't you hold off on the R154 until a later time and just work with a 2JZ-GTE and the auto you already have. they will bolt up and as long as the auto tranny is in good shape (for 76k miles it better be good ) you can run that while you look around for that R154.
Old 02-12-09, 09:52 PM
Billy305
Advanced

Originally Posted by StiCk3
For convenience sake why don't you hold off on the R154 until a later time and just work with a 2JZ-GTE and the auto you already have. they will bolt up and as long as the auto tranny is in good shape (for 76k miles it better be good ) you can run that while you look around for that R154.
That is what I would like to do but I have had mixed comments of that tranny. I have heard from some that It will not be able to hold that power and some say it can. I dont race or drive my car hard in general. I just dont want my tranny to break without another one to replace it. What is your opinion on this. I believe the ones from JHot and other places also come with an auto tranny attached to it. Which one would that be if it came from an aristo.

Last edited by Billy305; 02-12-09 at 09:54 PM. Reason: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Quick Reply: A few questions about the 1jz engine sets on ebay