Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HOW TO: SC300 High Pressure Power Steering Hose

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-10, 08:21 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like its been leaking for a while
Old 04-19-10, 05:08 PM
kobe54
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey its me again, if you look at my other post i said ill try and talk to some people and shops... every shop said that you need the WHOLE system replaced because of the sensors, you cant just replace the hose you replaced. bla bla blahhh. i even opened my hood to show them the lick and i got NOTHING. one guy understood my problem and was trying to find stuff online about it and then asked a co-worker and that b*tch said the whole system for 700. so now im back here asking you guys... WTF do i do? im gonna try and call the people from the website he suggested on this forum but if that doesnt work then what?
Old 05-13-10, 01:35 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kobe54
hey its me again, if you look at my other post i said ill try and talk to some people and shops... every shop said that you need the WHOLE system replaced because of the sensors, you cant just replace the hose you replaced. bla bla blahhh. i even opened my hood to show them the lick and i got NOTHING. one guy understood my problem and was trying to find stuff online about it and then asked a co-worker and that b*tch said the whole system for 700. so now im back here asking you guys... WTF do i do? im gonna try and call the people from the website he suggested on this forum but if that doesnt work then what?

Those people at the shops are just plain stupid. The sensors have nothing to do with the actual hose section. I think those people are just too lazy to do the job. Best bet is to take the whole hose system off the car and take it to the hose shop and just point to the section that is leaking and tell them to replace that section. You don't even have to tell them what kind of car the hose came off of. All power steering hoses are generally the same in every car.
Old 08-26-10, 08:11 AM
kobe54
Driver School Candidate

Default late response

so i got the new hose just like you, installed it *had some major patience for the bottom bolt* and i turned the car on and it was still leaking a bit from the top banjo bolt by the pump. I was wondering if its okay to hand tighten the banjo bolts and did you have any leakin at first?
Old 08-26-10, 09:53 AM
fuel4blood
Driver

Torque banjo bolts to 49 ft/lb, dont hand tighten them
Old 08-26-10, 02:24 PM
kobe54
Driver School Candidate

im sorry, im not familiar with the torque the banjo bolts :/
Old 08-27-10, 12:00 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This means that you will need to use what is called a torque wrench. It has an adjustable end that allows you to only turn the bolt to a certain point so you can't overtighten it.

check your local hardware store or do some googling..you'll understand it when you see one or read about it.

The banjo bolt is a type of bolt with a hole through the center (from the side of the thread, not the top) which allows fluid to pass through after it's tightened.

Originally Posted by kobe54
im sorry, im not familiar with the torque the banjo bolts :/
Old 08-28-10, 10:43 AM
kobe54
Driver School Candidate

thanks, i realized i had one from my dad in the garage right when i posted that. are you aloud to tighten over 49ft-lb?
Old 08-28-10, 10:45 AM
1UZFE_SC95
Driver School Candidate

has anyone ever eliminated the vacuum source on the power steering hose? it is a bolt with a vac in and vac out.

The reason i ask is because i plugged mine with a bolt, Im now having problems with the reservoir overflowing. I dont know if the vac has something to do with it.
Old 11-17-10, 09:00 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

guys, sorry to bump such an old thread, but what is this electrical plug?

Name:  PSinstall013.jpg
Views: 6186
Size:  54.0 KB

i did a 1jzvvti swap into an sc400, and i'm having a strange problem with my progressive power steering not working correctly. it looks like a pressure sensor maybe for the PPS. i don't think the sc400 had this...
Old 11-17-10, 09:07 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

this sensor:
Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: SC300 High Pressure Power Steering Hose-sc300pssensor.jpg  
Old 11-17-10, 10:42 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, looks like the pressure sensor for the PPS. I don't have PPS any more either because I left the vacuum lines off of the pump that modulate the pressure...
Old 11-17-10, 11:24 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

actually the vacuum lines are just used the raise the idle. it allows an unmetered vacuum leak when the PS pressure rises, so the idle goes up.
the PPS solenoid is what raises or lowers the pressure based on wheel speed (2 prong electrical plug at the outlet of the ps rack) i have this hooked up and functioning.

i did a little more research of the wiring diagram and found that the pressure sensor in question is ONLY for the engine ECU. i could not find anything else in the FSM about this sensor, or why the engine ECU needs to know the power steering pressure...
Old 11-17-10, 11:52 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah ok. I'm not sure what the ECU does with that info, but my schematic indicates that only auto trans cars have that circuit? Maybe it is also used for idle control, or trans strategies or something.
Old 11-24-10, 05:42 PM
LEXUSver
Driver School Candidate

Default How to: SC300 HP Power Steering hose replacement

I am from San Diego, CA area and finding a replacement hose(s) for my '92 SC300 was quite disappointing. I tried ebay ($400), junkyard (none), dealership ($717 plus tax), aftermarker such as Napa Auto (None), Online dealer (none), and many more. I am posting these photos in an effort to help those who are in need of replacing theirs. I had mine repaired by San Diego Hydraulics #1720 Cleveland Avenue, National City. As you can see, during removal of the upper hose assembly, you will need a combination wrench size 22MM and 24MM respectively. I have to remove interference such as the battery. $100 for the job but my only concern was why not install a fitting so that in the future all I have to do is replace the hose? I bought the double washer from Toyota Dealership vice Lexus ($8 plus each plus tax as compared to $3 plus each plus tax). You may have noticed also that the double washer that I bought is not exactly the same as the original. I did not think it would matter. These are nothing but crush washers which are required on both. What I am trying to say here is that these are suitable substitute which should prevent leaks.
Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: SC300 High Pressure Power Steering Hose-comb-wrench.jpg   HOW TO: SC300 High Pressure Power Steering Hose-high-press-hose.jpg   HOW TO: SC300 High Pressure Power Steering Hose-existing_2.jpg   HOW TO: SC300 High Pressure Power Steering Hose-double-washer4.jpg   HOW TO: SC300 High Pressure Power Steering Hose-new.jpg  

Last edited by LEXUSver; 11-24-10 at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: SC300 High Pressure Power Steering Hose