Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 and LS400 transmission difference?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 08:10 PM
serg93
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 and LS400 transmission difference?

Hi guys! new guy here, can any of you guys tell me the difference in transmission in the sc400 and the ls400? I have a 93 sc, I know that they have the same motor, but can you also use the same tranny? sorry Im new with this cars!
Reason I'm asking, is because some guy is selling me one from an Ls at a good price, and he told me it will work.
Also is changing the transmission complicated on this cars? any special tools?
I have been working on my cars for a good time, and I have change a couple of them, but like I said im new with this cars, and I would like to know if I should just leave it to a professional?
I would really appreciate the information, thanks!
Old 01-23-09, 06:37 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

they are basiclly the same, and will work. first gear is different. Taller in the LS if i remember correctly. It makes the take off slightly slower. You can pull 1st out of the SC trans and put it in the LS trans.
Housings bolt up the same.
Depending on year, the early trans had a kick down cable to get the trans to down shift under full throttle. check to see if you have one now, and if the trans has one.

If you have done a RWD automatic trans before you should be able to do the SC/LS trans. The top bolts from the trans to the motor are difficult, but not impossible.
I used a bunch of extensions. taped them together so they don't come apart, and got the bolts from behind. almost at the tailshaft of the trans, but i'm sure there are other ways.
Old 01-23-09, 01:00 PM
serg93
Driver School Candidate

Default Sc400 and ls400 transmission difference?

Great! Thank's alot for the info, now I'm just waiting for the guy, to get home from out of town, so I can get the tranny and get started, I'm also going to try to get I torque converter, I can't wait to get it going!
Old 01-24-09, 12:40 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by serg93
Great! Thank's alot for the info, now I'm just waiting for the guy, to get home from out of town, so I can get the tranny and get started, I'm also going to try to get I torque converter, I can't wait to get it going!
David at www.lextreme.com has the rebuilt high stall speed torque converter for the SC and LS. His torque converter is also strengthened. I got mine rebuilt from him and I like it alot, even under boost. If I boost, the 2nd gear shifts at 40 mph, which is pretty good like a manual tranny.
Old 02-24-09, 11:43 PM
serg93
Driver School Candidate

I finally got it running, I did get the transmission from the 92 Ls400, and everything went pretty smooth! It did take me all day, specially the top bolts, but I got it done, the transmission bolt it right up and I didn't have to change anything really.
The car is running strong and shifting smooth, I can't really tell the difference in performance, it might just be me, but I am really happy.

Thank you for the help!
Old 02-25-09, 01:53 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I finally got it running, I did get the transmission from the 92 Ls400, and everything went pretty smooth! It did take me all day, specially the top bolts, but I got it done, the transmission bolt it right up and I didn't have to change anything really.
The car is running strong and shifting smooth, I can't really tell the difference in performance, it might just be me, but I am really happy.

Thank you for the help!
Are you saying the 92 LS tranny fits on 93 SC400 without any modification? If it is, then that's the good news. I looked at serveral different SC and LS trannies and they look pretty much the same. Only some wirings are different.
Old 03-06-09, 09:36 PM
serg93
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, the one I got was from a 92 Ls, and it was pretty much the same thing, the only thing that gave me a problem was the top part of the dip stick tube, I tried using the one that was already atached to the motor from the original tranny, but I couldn't get it to work, so I had to replace that, its kinda tight in there, but not that bad, I wish I would have done that to begin with, would have saved me like an hour, oh well, Im just happy that I was able to do it, this is my very first thing doing to this car.
And like a mention Im new with this cars, so far 3k mi on the Ls tranny and running strong, now Im working on the body, getting it ready for paint, I'll post some before and after pictures when Im done.
Old 12-10-15, 04:57 AM
ScGhost19
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, the one I got was from a 92 Ls, and it was pretty much the same thing, the only thing that gave me a problem was the top part of the dip stick tube, I tried using the one that was already atached to the motor from the original tranny, but I couldn't get it to work, so I had to replace that, its kinda tight in there, but not that bad, I wish I would have done that to begin with, would have saved me like an hour, oh well, Im just happy that I was able to do it, this is my very first thing doing to this car.
And like a mention Im new with this cars, so far 3k mi on the Ls tranny and running strong, now Im working on the body, getting it ready for paint, I'll post some before and after pictures when Im done.

So since there's no changes from 92-93 as far internals the 93 ls should bolt right as well right ??? , please get back to me
ASAP I need info thanks