Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What is this plug on the Rack Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 09:03 AM
Sonic_Boom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this plug on the Rack Pinion

I did the 1jz swap and I can't find the connector for the plug on the rack and pinion. Is this the plug for the PS solenoid? Is the male side from the 1JZ or from the chassis. I forgot to take note as I was unplugging it . I've been under the car searching for the male side for months. Please give me a clue where to look for the male connector.

What is this plug on the Rack Pinion-img_9572.jpg
Old 01-12-09, 09:19 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

I think you have PPS progressive power steering. That issue I ran into with my Supra. It had PPS and the harness connector was in the engine harness. I was F'ed pretty much. Does the car feel like it is a manual steering since you change out the motor? If that is the issue you will need to wire up the connector to the PPS ECU. Or You might have to get a regular steering rack without PPS. I think that is a possibility.
Old 01-12-09, 09:31 AM
Sonic_Boom
Driver School Candidate

The car is a 92' SC300, originally an auto. I was able to put of PS fluid in, bleed as much as I can, and the PS was a bit softer. Then I took it out for a drive, and the PS foam like crazy coming out of the canister. After it foams, the PS became hard again. I jacked up car up again and try to bleed it once more (still on jacks). I might have to rebuild the PS or clean the screen but I don't want to drive it again until I know what that connector is for.
Old 01-12-09, 10:22 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Male connector's on the other side of the engine, since it's RHD.

Just extend the harness and you should be fine. Same thing happened to me.
Old 01-12-09, 10:33 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tavarish
Male connector's on the other side of the engine, since it's RHD.

Just extend the harness and you should be fine. Same thing happened to me.
Sounds like a possible answer to me lol. If you still have foam coming up in the reservoir you still need to drive the car around to get the air out. I wouldn't rebuild it unless it is making loud noises in any condition.
Old 01-12-09, 02:48 PM
Sonic_Boom
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot guys. After work, I'll look on the other side to find that plug. It should be there since this engine appears to be from a soarer. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-10-09, 05:12 PM
Sonic_Boom
Driver School Candidate

7 months later, I finally got it to work. Turns out the wires is for the solenoid to pump the fluid when the car is slow or idle. There are two light green wires, one with black stripe and one with red stripe. The same color plugs existed on the 2JZGE.

The round plug I mentioned above is also on the 2JZGE, although I couldn't find the wires for it. The connectors had one brown wire and one light green w/red stripe. I figure the light green w/red stripe wire can just go with the solenoid and the brown can just be ground. I'm not sure if it's correct but I can hear the solenoids click after I install it.

To really make sure I only have to mess with the P/S system once, I cleaned the resivor canister filter by soaking it with soap over night. Lots of little black chucks fell out. The filter in the solenoid was also removed and cleaned. For me, it was easier to take the whole peice out by removing the 3 screws and remove the filter with a vise and channel lock. It's really tough to loosen that filter, I don't know how people do it with a screw driver and hammer. The solenoid filter was also full of trash but it was much easier to clean then the canister. I have pictures of parts if you want to see.

After cleaning, drying, install, bleeding, my steering is very smooth now. I don't even feel like driving it hard anymore. I just wanna cruise and take it easy, until a civic tries to cut me off via it's AwEsoMe VTEC power.
Old 04-21-11, 07:04 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

im swapping my 1jzgte that was in a 92 into a 95. i see this sensor, and im still trying to find the damn plug. i know i had it plugged in when i had my 92 running. ill check the passanger side though. i also noticed theres a 2 wire plug on the rack and pinion as well that has a wire coming from where the alternator plugs in. just a heads up for anyone trying to figure that out
Old 09-07-15, 02:30 PM
LUIS1993SC
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation 1993 sc300 2jzge 5 speed

i recently bought a striped sc300 1993 5 speed had a knocking motor also bought a 1992 sc300 auto t boned so i can swap everything i needed interior and motor but now that i got the motor in i seem to be having the same issue i can find that plug that goes to the rack pinion any help please do i have to make my own plug for it ? the auto sc300 had the plug within the engine harness but the 5 speed one didn't ? anyone know why that might be?