Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

help me choose

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-09, 09:48 AM
slim_l2002
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me choose

Hello everybody. I'm a new member on this forum. I joined knowing that my next car would be a Lexus. I stumbled a crossed two that already have a swap. one is a 1994 GS with the 2jz twin turbo and the other is a 1993 SC 1jz twin turbo. they have the gs for sell about 2000 more then the SC. i have the money in hand to buy either or, i wish i had it for both. but the major issue for me right now is that i don't like fact that they both are automatics. for people that have a 1jz or 2jz twin turbo that's are autos. what 1/4 times would i be exspecting? is it possiable to swap over to manual in the GS or SC? if so which tranny? would i have to change driveshaft and other as well?

and last but not least. the GS? or should i go with the SC? i do favor the SC over the GS... but mannn the GS have the 2jz just too temping!
thanks for the help!
Old 01-10-09, 10:00 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well this is the SC part to the forum so most of us will say SC just because we have one. You really need to figure out what the car is going to be used for. If it's just DD no 1 max 2 people getting in the car then I would go with the SC because upgrades blah blah blah and I don't have to worry about having a baby seat in the car. If I know I had to use the car for family stuff and everything that goes with it I would go with the GS. It just truly depends what you will use the car for.
Old 01-10-09, 06:44 PM
sc400808
Pole Position

^^^I totally agree. The biggest thing you have to figure out is what you want the car for. If DD Id say the GS, but if its just a toy SC SC SC SC SC!!!!
Old 01-10-09, 08:15 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

I never really like the 1st gen GS at all. Too bland, nothing like the sporty 2nd gens. SC gets my vote.

As for modding the cars, you can pick up a W58 or R154 for dirt cheap (R154 might need some extra parts to work). Either tranny can fetch for less than $1000 easy. With the extra 2000 though you could also pick up a beloved V160 6-speed Supra tranny. Do some searching on here about the three trannys and see which one would suit your needs.
Old 01-11-09, 07:37 AM
slim_l2002
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TLDriver
Well this is the SC part to the forum so most of us will say SC just because we have one. You really need to figure out what the car is going to be used for. If it's just DD no 1 max 2 people getting in the car then I would go with the SC because upgrades blah blah blah and I don't have to worry about having a baby seat in the car. If I know I had to use the car for family stuff and everything that goes with it I would go with the GS. It just truly depends what you will use the car for.
yeah thats why i posted this up in the gs section and the sc section. but not to be a butt or anything but i wouldn't consider getting a sc or gs with a swap for a daily driver. this will be my toy. i already have another car for the family part. and i never really like have no more then 2 to 3 people in the car with me no matter how big it are. lol
Old 01-11-09, 07:40 AM
slim_l2002
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StiCk3
I never really like the 1st gen GS at all. Too bland, nothing like the sporty 2nd gens. SC gets my vote.

As for modding the cars, you can pick up a W58 or R154 for dirt cheap (R154 might need some extra parts to work). Either tranny can fetch for less than $1000 easy. With the extra 2000 though you could also pick up a beloved V160 6-speed Supra tranny. Do some searching on here about the three trannys and see which one would suit your needs.
yeah i never really like the 1st gen gs either. the front of the car is just too plain. but it has the 2jz. all of my friends tellin me to jump on the 2jz but IDK... so would i have to change drive shafts or anything?
Old 01-11-09, 09:48 AM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

If your priority is to go manual, the SC is gonna be a lot easier...few people have done manual swaps on the GS. It's a lot more work because they never came manual from the factory.
Old 01-11-09, 09:25 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by slim_l2002
yeah thats why i posted this up in the gs section and the sc section. but not to be a butt or anything but i wouldn't consider getting a sc or gs with a swap for a daily driver. this will be my toy. i already have another car for the family part. and i never really like have no more then 2 to 3 people in the car with me no matter how big it are. lol
Well if you are going to be picking up a toy it would have been good to say that. If you already have a fam car and so on I would say get the SC. Not only because of the good reason the other members have said but because with the left over 2 grand you can get your car running higher hp numbers then the stock 2jz-gte. You say toy... but is this going to be a drifting toy, track toy or just a street toy? Do you want to just shock people when you pull up to them?? if so I think it will shock more people with a GS pulling away from (Name goes here) then an SC. Does the style of the car make a difference to you? what do you want your toy to be able to do? Little more info and we can tell you our opinions a little better why to chose one over the other.
Old 01-12-09, 12:10 AM
97RSPSCTT
Pole Position

as far as trannys go i have the stock mkiv tranny w/ PI 3800 converter and i LOVE it. i'm running 2jz-gte. obviously if you want to drift go with the 5-speed. as for the car,normally your first instinct is the right one. GL
Old 01-12-09, 09:38 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

SC toy car and if you also want to go manual more manual info. GS for the under cover look less manual swaps done with that car not as much info for it. I would choose the GS cooler to see in those cars compared to SC's.
Old 01-19-09, 06:36 AM
slim_l2002
Driver School Candidate

Well folks thanks for helping me out on my decision. I went up to the place yesterday. I test drove the GS and the SC. the gs was much nicer and quicker than the SC. both car still pulled hard. It pretty much came down to if i want a four door or two door. i really don't like four door cars and i felt like i was going to a business meeting in the GS. Either one that i picked i would be thinking about the other. so i got the SC. one think that I'm not happy about is that the governor kicked in at 120 is that normal?
Old 01-20-09, 05:34 AM
crx378
Pole Position

Hey Slim, its Michael the one who sold you the car. Glad that you like your new ride! Let me know when you are ready to start adding some power adders! Are you sure you hit the gov.? It has a jdm ecu in there.
Old 01-20-09, 10:15 AM
PecosBill
Lexus Test Driver

120? Im not giving out an exact number but Ive been over 135 in my stock '98...
Old 01-20-09, 10:24 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

You are talking about the orange SC correct? I'd go with the SC, it's nice, sporty, I guess the question is; do you have kids/younger siblings?

I think that would be my deciding factor. I'd go SC and go 1.5J. True twins, rev's high, plus the stroke of a 2j. I don't think you can beat it.

That's just my .02 cents.

Oh btw where are you in TX?
Old 01-20-09, 10:32 AM
slim_l2002
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crx378
Hey Slim, its Michael the one who sold you the car. Glad that you like your new ride! Let me know when you are ready to start adding some power adders! Are you sure you hit the gov.? It has a jdm ecu in there.

yeah once i hit 120 its kicks me down then build back up fast then kicks me back down.

Quick Reply: help me choose