Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > SC Models > SC 400/300 > Performance & Maintenance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Battery jumped backwards!!!Please Help me!

Old 01-10-09, 06:39 AM   #1
breds16
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Exclamation Battery jumped backwards!!!Please Help me!

Hi everbody. I just purchased a 1992 lexus sc400. Recently a battery was put in, but the battery was put in backwards then jumped. When the battery was put in the right way, it would start, but numerous icons popped up in the dash. Some days it would not even start. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? What are the results form jumping the battery backwards and how can it be fixed. I know there is something wrong with the fuel pump, draining the battery. What other problems should I look for or be cautious of? Also, does it affect the electrical system, and if so, what part of it?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
breds16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 06:45 AM   #2
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

check ur fuses dont know how the battery was jumped wrong there is a neg and positive symbol on ur battery
msc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 06:50 AM   #3
IS_250
Lexus Champion

Check all fuses and fuseable links as he said. Also, check the ECU. I've personally witness someone fry an ECU by installing his battery backwards on a GS.
IS_250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 05:41 PM   #4
lawrenceO
Driver

Roadside assistance installed a new battery the wrong way in my Soarer a year or two ago. Blew the fusable link, and the car was completely dead. Put the battery in the correct way, replaced fusable link and she was fine.
I'd suggest disconnecting the battery, leave for ten and reconnect. If no luck, could be ECU.
lawrenceO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 03:28 PM   #5
Luxor
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (12)

I had my cables reversed on my battery for almost a minute when I was jumping a brand new CRV in the dark. Nothing happened, just melted the jumper cables to the copper wire and lots of smoke.
Old 01-12-09, 04:43 PM   #6
celiman05
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)

i did the same thing and had to buy a new fuseable link from lexus. mine just wouldnt even turn over or anything. that would be the first thing i would check if i were you.

1990 Celica 3SGTE: SOLD
1996 Celica Full GT4 Conversion: SOLD
1995 Sc300
Singled 1JZ, supra R154 setup, 19" Axis Hiro, JIC Kit, Seibon CF Trunk, Espelir ASD, Tokico HP's, Blitz NUR-SPEC, 10000K HID's, Much More to Come.
celiman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 03:23 PM   #7
breds16
Driver School Candidate

I took my car to an electrical store, and they said that all I needed was an iac valve, which was pretty expensive. But my fuel pump, ecu, and fuses were fine.
breds16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 04:14 PM   #8
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Send a message via AIM to Biggu

not sure if this pertains to you but when my SC got jumped backwards i checked everyting i could, replaced ECU all fuses and i finialy replaced my ignitor and it started up just fine.

heres my original thread if it helps you

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/perf...preciated.html

Last edited by Biggu; 01-14-09 at 04:24 PM..
Biggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 04:39 PM   #9
lexusflex
Driver School Candidate

For those of you who didn't know, on batteries, almost always.. the positive will be on the left and the negative on the right. Just incase you have to jump another car off in the dark. LOL!! Why did you take your car to an electrical store??? The fusable link would be my first guess. If you disconnect the battery like the other guy menchioned it will reset your ECU. After doing this, make sure that you hook it back up correctly, then drive it til the check engine light comes back on. When it comes on, take it to an auot parts store, not an electrical store, and have them hook it up to the diagnostic computer. If the ECU is reading a code, they will be able to tell you what to replace. Good Luck

Last edited by lexusflex; 01-14-09 at 04:46 PM..
lexusflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 06:45 AM   #10
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Send a message via AIM to Biggu

lexflex, i hate to disagree with you but theres alot of cars out there that are positive on the right and negative on the left.
Old 01-15-09, 06:45 AM

Tags
1992, backwards, batteries, battery, car, club, hook, installing, jump, jumped, jumping, lexus, put, sc400, wrong