Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Big Dilemma...(Repairs ???)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-08, 01:04 PM
clentonz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Dilemma...(Repairs ???)

Ok, I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post it in?

But I was the guy with the heater problem a week back or so. I tried everything I could to try to fix it(flush air in the system, coolant, control valve,etc)

But I did not get it fixed in time, and my sister took it to the dealership

Their intinial estimate:
-Flushing air out of the system: $200....(Ya there is a purge valve for that that probably cost...uh turn?)

-Starter going out:$1200

-Initial "estimate":$100

So, we are like wow this sucks; but I guess it could be worse...But then we get a call from them telling us that flushing air out of the system did not work and they now think that it is the Heater Core

-New Estimate: $1500+heater core($2000?)

Add all of that up, and it will cost about as much as the car is worth(95 SC4 w/ 166k miles)

**this is my sister's car that was supposed to be a hand me down to me, she is buying a new GS350**

So, here is the question...They know that she is in the market for a new car (35k-40k), and they are quoting almost as much as the car is worth in repairs....They have not fixed anything yet, except the air flush...

I just hope that they don't try to string out the repairs, then say "eh you will probably will get about 5-10k miles out of her, than the engine will go....how bout you check out our new 09's eh?"

I was just wondering if y'all had any say in the matter, I know I'm kind of screwed either way; I was just wondering if you all had any suggestions. Like take back the car, let them fix everything except the heater core, then sell it, etc.....sorry if my spelling/english is bad, I'm just a little frusterated and in a hurry...

Thanks again guys, Happy Holidays
Old 12-30-08, 01:29 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first of all this is from the dealer and they are going to quote their prices. Have you done any work on a car before? A Heater core is not that hard...however it will take some time. The starter you can get to as well and I am surprised it is $1200. The starter is 2 bolts coming off the tranny. Getting to it is fun but I am wondering if they are pulling the tranny to do this.

my .02 - get the car back with the minimal amount of money paid to the dealer. (It should only be $200 right?? ) Then get the manual from LexusFTW on Clubna-t and get your hands dirty.

BTW how did the starter going out come up on heater is not working conversation?
Old 12-30-08, 04:51 PM
clentonz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMEGOBY
first of all this is from the dealer and they are going to quote their prices. Have you done any work on a car before? A Heater core is not that hard...however it will take some time. The starter you can get to as well and I am surprised it is $1200. The starter is 2 bolts coming off the tranny. Getting to it is fun but I am wondering if they are pulling the tranny to do this.

my .02 - get the car back with the minimal amount of money paid to the dealer. (It should only be $200 right?? ) Then get the manual from LexusFTW on Clubna-t and get your hands dirty.

BTW how did the starter going out come up on heater is not working conversation?
This is my sister's car, and I was given 2 days to figure out why the heater wasn't working before they took it to the dealer. I searched on these boards A LOT, and did what I could; but no avail. I was supposed to inherit this car before all of these problems started happening, and was planning on fixing the minor problems and selling it + saved $$$ for a 05+ Mustang GT 5spd...I know I know, I just love them, and cannot stand auto tranny's...but everything go all messed up with all of the problems, and we don't know what to do.

ZMEGOBY,
Ya the starter, which we had no idea anything was even wrong with The Lexus mechanic said that, "I can hear something wrong with it" ....I read up on this job, and it defiantly is not for the feint of heart; something that I defiantly don't feel comfortable with. And I don't feel or see any problems with it? So ya, I think we are going to cut our loses and get out of there; for a $200 turn of a bolt.

I will keep y'all updated, thanks for the help
Old 12-30-08, 05:07 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang dude thats sucks! Forget abouth those scammers in dealerships! $1200 for a starter? You can do it for $100 its not easy,but its not impossible either.

The heater core is hard too,but like i said,not impossible.I've done my share of work on cars, but i have never thought i could change the head gasket,but it was fun,and i have learned alot about cars. If i can do these things surely you can too.

Why dont you try to flush the heater core first?
Old 12-30-08, 07:23 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow I want to tell you to... RUN FOR THE HILLS!!! lol good luck. I might consider selling now before it get into your founds for the mustang.