Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

After not starting, tried something...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-08, 03:22 PM
Sciethen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After not starting, tried something...

Okay so my SC300 was not starting; I would turn the key over and listen for the normal stuff: dash lit up, lights work fine, fuel pump whines, whatever... but when I try to actually start it, it just puts fourth a loud "click," and does not even try to turn over.

So I search and it's pretty obviously the starter... HOWEVER, I got to thinking a few days later... "If the starter is located on the driver side fairly close to the cabin... and I've heard other people simply "tapping" their starter with a hammer/tool to get a better connection..." Well I was sitting in my car thinking about it, and decided what the heck. So instead of gently pressing the clutch in, I simply slammed it in and tried starting it. Voala. The car started as normal, even though I had tried over 20 times before (different days) with no result.

So here's the question I would present to you all: did slamming the clutch in hard actually jolt the starter enough to change the connector, or was it all the clutch sensor not registering, or is it all absolutely extraordinarily blind luck? It is, after all, Christmas

Sci

Also, I went and read the "NEWBS read this" thread to make sure I was posting in the correct forum. I suggest that OLT or another moderator edit that thread to reflect "for engine/exhaust/etc. etc. topics, post in the PERFORMANCE thread." As it states now, it suggests we post in the "Engine" thread which I presume had its name changed to "Performance" later.
Old 12-25-08, 07:33 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you can jump the wires for the clutch switch on the pedal to be always pushed down and with that you can see if it is the starter or the clutch pedal switch.
Old 12-25-08, 09:43 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It might have done something. Check out the power connection to the starter that its not corroded. Someone had an issue like this a while back, where it would start after a couple clicks, and a simple cleaning of the connection fixed it.