Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc300 BFI build & Waterpump/timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-08, 10:49 PM
ScSlide
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc300 BFI build & Waterpump/timing belt change

so as a few people know my water pump went out and the car is in the garage.
I ordered the water pump and timing belt today should hopefully be here saturday or sunday...

I figured why the car was down mineas well go ahead and make a BFI..

So tonight i started the work on the car and removed both headlights, Air intake box, top and middle cam cover. i have one bolt left to get the bottom cover off but its hard to get to it behind/beside the waterpump. Also removed the accessory belt....

Ill keep yall updated....

Intake chamber removed.

passenger headlight removed.

Driver Light Removed also.

It looks Disgusting inside there!!!! alot of cleaning to be done.... middle cover is now off..
Old 12-24-08, 11:02 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like someone had explosive diarrhea all over your engine bay. Good luck with the repairs/cleaning.
Old 12-24-08, 11:03 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OneJay
Looks like someone had explosive diarrhea all over your engine bay. Good luck with the repairs/cleaning.
LOL wow

GL man, keep the pics flowing
Old 12-25-08, 08:31 AM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

ohh man that looks like it was a flooded car. goodluck, never the less. youll make this turn out awesome!

ps, what pulleys are those? are they lighter than oem?
Old 12-25-08, 09:33 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am guessing that a battery exploded under the hood.
Old 12-25-08, 09:36 AM
ScSlide
Rookie

yeahhh its nasty ... whoever had the car before me was a dumbass and didnt tighten down the battery and wellthats what you get....

hopefully since the stores are closed today i will make it out tomorrow and get the parts for my bfi.
Old 12-25-08, 09:37 AM
ScSlide
Rookie

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
Old 12-25-08, 12:37 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

good luck with the repairs

first and foremost: seeing from your pictures it looks like you have a lot of crud and debris around the distributor. its most likely the distributor o-ring. worst scenario is that the internal bushing on the distributor are bad and that is whats leaking. if its the o-ring its an easy job. if its internal to the distributor then you have to replace the whole unit. i was going to take one apart and see if its serviceable but it didnt look like it.

replace that o-ring because it is dripping oil on your alternator and it will cause it to fry. another 200 bucks for a new one.

if you are doing the timing belt make sure to thoroughly check the TB idler pulley. it has to spin smoothly with no noise. if it makes noise you should replace it. if it seizes, and i have seen that, you will have a cluster**** to deal with afterwards.
Old 12-25-08, 12:41 PM
ScSlide
Rookie

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30

first and foremost: seeing from your pictures it looks like you have a lot of crud and debris around the distributor. its most likely the distributor o-ring. worst scenario is that the internal bushing on the distributor are bad and that is whats leaking. if its the o-ring its an easy job. if its internal to the distributor then you have to replace the whole unit. i was going to take one apart and see if its serviceable but it didnt look like it.

replace that o-ring because it is dripping oil on your alternator and it will cause it to fry. another 200 bucks for a new one.

if you are doing the timing belt make sure to thoroughly check the TB idler pulley. it has to spin smoothly with no noise. if it makes noise you should replace it. if it seizes, and i have seen that, you will have a cluster**** to deal with afterwards.

Thank you for the advice...

so your saying to make sure the TB idler pulley spins smoothly.... but how do i keep it from seizing up?
Old 12-25-08, 12:53 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ScSlide
Thank you for the advice...

so your saying to make sure the TB idler pulley spins smoothly.... but how do i keep it from seizing up?
when you take apart your car check to see if the idler is spinning smoothly. the idler assembly is nothing more then a roller with a sealed bearing inside of it. the bearing can wear out with age and sometimes with debris. my rule of thumb is to replace the idler every time you do the timing belt. its cheap insurance.

if you are tight on cash and your idler checks out to spin smoothly you should be okay. if your idler doesnt spin smoothly then you need a new one.

you really cant do anything to prevent it from seizing. if you think its not in good shape then replace it. it should not seize if its in good shape.
Old 12-25-08, 03:03 PM
ScSlide
Rookie

thanks once again...

im in the garage as we speak making the templates for the BFI ill post pics later!
Old 12-25-08, 03:15 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30

Could you explain about the TB idler more in details? cuz every time i startup, it does make a sound but after a drive it, it stops. It only makes sound in a cold startup only.
Old 12-25-08, 03:28 PM
ScSlide
Rookie

5sp jzz30 - i took off the Distributor cap and the o-ring.... the 0-ring seems to be fine......

Old 12-25-08, 03:33 PM
ScSlide
Rookie

Under headlight and top cover templates are finished.... waiting till tomorrow to go get the materials for the final product hopefully lol....

Didnt have just one box that was big enough but dp.pepper and nilla wafers worked just fine..

Old 12-25-08, 03:48 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

you have to remove the distributor from the head. when you remove the whole distributor assembly you will see a rubber o-ring.

Quick Reply: Sc300 BFI build & Waterpump/timing belt change