Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Toyomoto stage 1.5

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-02, 09:31 PM
Goose
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyomoto stage 1.5

Why is the price for this now $7,000? Wasn't it $6,000?
Do they install it for you or what?
Old 02-27-02, 09:10 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope. This is the price you must pay when a company has no competition.
Old 02-27-02, 11:42 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

it was allways 7k...some others might have gotten it for 6k if they got a used sidemount intercooler and brought some of there own parts...but noone bought a brand new stage 1.5 for $6000...Jeff
Old 02-28-02, 07:49 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

So, do they install it. No I guess. How difficult is the install for a person with moderate technical know how?
Old 02-28-02, 10:28 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

What all does this kit include?

-Ethan
Old 02-28-02, 10:37 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

We have a guy here in town who wants to do a turbo on his SC300 and a friend of mine who works at the local shop just called Toyomoto to check on their kit. I recommended the toyotmoto kit because of the value and the ability for to make moderate power fairly easy. However, when he called he was told $7500.

For under $7500 you could do the following:

Turbo ($1000 budget)
HKS GT Wastegate ($550 budget)
Toyomoto Manifold ($750 budget)
Spearco I/C ($800 budget)
BOV ($200 budget)
Fuel Pump ($200 budget, I can get Walbro 255s for $120)
6 550 cc Injectors ($600 budget)
I/C Pipes ($500 budget)
Downpipe ($300 budget)
Head Gasket ($300 budget)
Plugs ($20 budget, unless he went iridium)
Plug Wires ($200 budget)
Boost Dependent Puel Pressure Regulator ($200 budget)
VPC/GCC Combo (All over for $1200 used and sometimes new)
EVC EZ ($350 budget)

I could get all of this from basically any shop and have only $7k in it, and have the extra $500 for a few decent gauges, t-bolt clamps, and necessary silicone pipe joints. I am just curious what the toyomoto kit includes for $7500 because the way I understood it it didn't even come close to including this much stuff.

I am not at all trying to make the toyo kit sound like a bad deal, I am just trying to help this guy out locally and get him the best deal and quality possible. Is my thinking way off here?

Thanks,

Ethan
Old 02-28-02, 11:54 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Ethan this is what I've been saying from the beginning. You are the first person to realize it. I keep saying Toyomoto is overpriced. But no one listens.

For $7500 I could have a AEM ECU setup among other things instead of the VPC, etc
Old 02-28-02, 12:55 PM
Rob_O
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyomoto makes what is very likely the best turbo kit you can buy for the NA-T conversion. They sell a kit that is complete, installable by a competent mechanic and it works. Whether or not it is overpriced is irrelevant as long as they have customers lining up at the door to buy their products and I'm not going to slam anyone who is in business making a living and a good reputation for themselves.

I do, however, think I can get a better value for my money if I shop around and pick the pieces myself so if you happen to know of a place that sells a quality cast manifold for the NA-T conversion let me know because I'm in the market

Rob_O
Old 02-28-02, 08:16 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Rob_O,

Out in KY, I'm only familiar with Street Sports in Lexington and the shop out there in Louisville. I can't think of the name now. I've never seen an SC done out of Lexington. I'm looking to pick up a 300 and get my own project going. From what I can see - there is not much out there that is very promising save for the Toyomoto deal. Their site is under construction currently but I'm gonna check it out. Let us know if you find anything.

AJ
Old 03-01-02, 07:03 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Toyomoto's manifold is the only one that is affordable (he told me $1000, told someone else $850) but he isn't selling them by themselves right now; only in the kit...
Old 03-01-02, 07:53 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Why wouldn't they sell them seperate?

-Ethan
Old 03-01-02, 10:50 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that Lance wants to get your WHOLE business, not just a manifold. Why not make 20% on all the components, not just the manifold. By only selling the Kit, Toyomoto keeps customer satisfaction high because he doesn't cut ANY corners like many on this board would do. You get the kit, put it on, and it works. End of argument. Lance even was kind enough to overnight drill bits to me to help with an odd bit that I couldn't find. He also built a heated custom 02 sensor welded on a plate and didn't charge me for it. The other thing that people don't understand is that there are a significant number of bits and pieces, clamps, adapters, hoses, brackets, etc. that Lance provides. These items would add up cost wize and take a while to source. There are some peices that need to be engineered, people don't give him credit. The hard pipes, for instance... These are a work of art... Hand made, work intensive.

As far as the $7500--- I didn't pay that much, but perhaps he's got too much work lately and can raise the price. He's always extremely busy. Even at $7500, its well worth being able to blow by a 150shot WS6 Firebird or 2002 Z06 in the other lane!
Old 03-02-02, 07:45 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Hmmm... Seems like $7500 is an awful lot of extra pieces... I am not saying the kit is not good, I am just saying that if you wanted to take an extra couple of days worth of time you could piece together a kit with much nicer components for the same price or less.

-Ethan
Old 03-04-02, 05:35 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

i have tried to explain this before........ill try agian.....toyomoto has been turboing these cars since 93....they have tested and retested alot of different parts...tecniques.....and installs.....they do charge for there kits and assemblying them.......but its not outrageous prices.......you get EVERYTHING you need..all of the AN fittings...oil feed..oil return..all clamps....hoses.....Vband clamps....down pipe....turbo ....wastegate......the most reliable manifold made for the 2jzge motor.....extra fuel injectors and controller when needed..a brand new factory toyota sidemount intercooler......as well as ther misc. parts and also INSTRUCTIONS on how to install it........the kit and knowledge that has gone into it is well worth the money...i promise...no one that has bought the kit has been disappointed...including several members of this board......2 of wich have installed the kit them selves......and Lance has been willing to assist with info needed when your having the kit installed.........it is well worth the money and is the most reliable kit out there and makes great power.....i took alot of time deciding what to do to my sc300.....and thats why im on here to try to point others in the right direction....so you dont run into road blocks and frustrations.......and get things right the 1st time........if you want to get into over charging...
SP charges 2200 for there manifold wich is another companys 1200 dollar manifold that they cut off the gte flange and weld on a ge flange and sell it for 2200...is that fair?>....and on top of it it dosent fit the stock throttle body without modification.........its a business..these companies make high quality products and sell them at a profit...thats how they survive...they dont give things away.......Jeff
Old 03-04-02, 06:11 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

I have a stupid rice boy question here. How fast do you assume your 0-60 time is with the Toyomoto kit? My warranty is just about up on my car and I am going to do the conversion, but just wanted to know what times I could see. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Toyomoto stage 1.5