Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone use a Greddy E-manage Ultimate on the V8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 08:15 AM
WICKED SC4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use a Greddy E-manage Ultimate on the V8?

Hey I was reading up on the GReddy E-manage Ultimate Piggyback ECU. It says that you can eliminate the MAF and basically go speed density. Not really called that but whatever. I found one for $500 and that's decent considering the stock MAF is $1100 from Lexus and they don't make new ones anymore.

I wanted to retune the engine on E85 like my friends SC400. He picked up 30RWHP just from that. So if I have a ECU code 33 with my new MAF- apparently it's not working. Rather than spend the money on another MAF I'd rather get an controller and retune the car.

Anyone running a Emanage with the V8? How do you like it?
Old 12-11-08, 09:22 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should PM curry, I remember him saying on lextreme that he did. I'm not sure what's all involved though.
Old 01-07-09, 09:00 AM
Matchless
Driver School Candidate

Default My 2 cents!

As far as I know, Emanage doesn't have injector drivers for 8 injectors - only up to 6.

The only way to use it with an 8cyl engine would be to use it to drive additional injectors placed in the intake tract like old school fmax turbo kits did... I think alot of rotary guys use that setup too. It's definitely not an optimal setup for fuel atomization and efficient burn.

I would also assume that if they only included 6 inj drivers that tuning ignition timing with it will provide additional challenges. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it probably isn't the best system for your needs. Look into the AEM FIC/8... AEM released that version specifically for use with 8cyl applications.

On another note: E85 requires significant additional injector/fuel pump flow. To run your completely stock engine on E85 you will need additional 30% flow at least to run E85 safely. I personally believe that the power advantages vs. the drawbacks are not worth it. You might as well just run a specially formulated race gas - the cost breaks down to about the same since E85 burns quicker and will net as much as 50% lower fuel economy. It's highly corrosive - it eats through alot of injector o-rings, some anodized fuel rails and other components and fuel pumps, plus it will also destroy your cats if emissions are important to you.

I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but that's ok! I'm merely speaking from my personal experience with it.
Old 01-08-09, 07:38 PM
Mattmannz
Pole Position

The stock 91-94 motor's run batch/grouped injectors and still have distributors so you only need four injector drivers and two ignition outputs.

Matt.
Old 01-08-09, 08:28 PM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattmannz
The stock 91-94 motor's run batch/grouped injectors and still have distributors so you only need four injector drivers and two ignition outputs.

Matt.
Right on Matt, you beat me to it.
Old 01-09-09, 04:31 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

they work on sc400's

have a look at
www.etuner.com.au

other piggybacks that work on the v8
http://www.morristech.com.au

http://www.mapecu.com/
(click on dealers tab in red for american dealers)

Last edited by v8soarer91; 01-09-09 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-14-09, 07:25 AM
WICKED SC4
Driver

I don't know where you get your #'s because my partner sells E85 kits for a living and those # are nowhere near accurate.

It only is 15% worse gas mileage, it only takes 15% more fuel, not 50%. It is not as corrosive as you think- it's ethanol- kind of like alcohol injection, makes everything squeaky clean but it over time it dries out the rubber seals in your fuel system. Not really that big of deal. And lastly if your car is not passing emissions before, it will pass with flying colors on Ethanol, it will burn CLEANER not worse.

If your car is not tuned for E85, then yeah maybe it will have the # you are talking about.

Originally Posted by Matchless
As far as I know, Emanage doesn't have injector drivers for 8 injectors - only up to 6.

The only way to use it with an 8cyl engine would be to use it to drive additional injectors placed in the intake tract like old school fmax turbo kits did... I think alot of rotary guys use that setup too. It's definitely not an optimal setup for fuel atomization and efficient burn.

I would also assume that if they only included 6 inj drivers that tuning ignition timing with it will provide additional challenges. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it probably isn't the best system for your needs. Look into the AEM FIC/8... AEM released that version specifically for use with 8cyl applications.

On another note: E85 requires significant additional injector/fuel pump flow. To run your completely stock engine on E85 you will need additional 30% flow at least to run E85 safely. I personally believe that the power advantages vs. the drawbacks are not worth it. You might as well just run a specially formulated race gas - the cost breaks down to about the same since E85 burns quicker and will net as much as 50% lower fuel economy. It's highly corrosive - it eats through alot of injector o-rings, some anodized fuel rails and other components and fuel pumps, plus it will also destroy your cats if emissions are important to you.

I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but that's ok! I'm merely speaking from my personal experience with it.
Old 01-14-09, 08:21 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

I run e85. I think the percentage varies. My s13 Ka-T needed 30%, sometimes 35. The lex only needed me to adjust the safc a bit. My SC4 runs 100% e85.
Old 01-18-09, 05:38 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember I read on the Tundra forums that someone already run the E-Greddy on his Tundra. I don't remember which forum to link it for you.