Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

transmission whine? or something else

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08, 01:08 PM
scredlex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission whine? or something else

so i was driving a few nights ago and i hear a whine from my front passenger side. it happened on the freeway, the sound started around 40 to 60 mph and got louder as i accelerated and softer as soon as i got off the gas. it stopped when i hit 65mph. i pulled over thinking it was my tire rubbing on a wire (my car is pretty low) but all my wires were zipped tied well out of the way. the noise comes and goes.

i searched and found some threads but none of them seemed applicable to my situation. Like someone else said here on the forum, it sounded like a supercharger whine as i accelerated.

i dont think its my power steering (no leaks no sounds) i dont think it is a pulley bearing (as its more of a whine than a squeak) might be the drive belt? but it seems like it has only minor cracking.

it sounded like it was coming from the front right or just ahead of the dash/firewall. when i rev it on park or neutral, i dont get the sound.

i checked the tranny fluid level, but its fine. my tranny is auto btw. one more thing is that my distributor has a minor leak.

any suggestions?
thanks!

ps: i had grounding issues prior to this, and sanded down all the points and cleaned/tested my alternator. it started up perfect. two weeks later...this happens...sigh

***UPDATES***
- I still have the sound (its been 3 months!) gahhhhh!! after hearing it a couple of times i think the correct term instead of a whine is a buzz. the sound is inconsistent and it happens at night (even if my car is warm)
heres the sound clip:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Q64u1fB40
any help guys?

Last edited by scredlex; 03-13-09 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12-09-08, 01:30 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Okay 2 things to ask you. First do you have your radio on and is it coming from the speakers? If yes turn it off and see if it goes away. Saying this if you have a aftermarket radio installed. Second it could possibly be a wheel bearing going out on you. How many miles do you have on the car? Has a bearing been replaced on the front right side before? Have someone sit in the passengers seat and see if the noise is coming front the wheel and nothing else. Reason being is that you said it gets higher with speed. Also check and see if none of your front splash guards are running on your tires. Later>>>
Old 12-09-08, 04:22 PM
scredlex
Lead Lap

at first i thought it was the radio. turned it off and it was still there. i have 182k on my car and never replaced a wheel bearing. no splash guards are hitting the tire, i made sure of it. ill have someone ride with me tonight see if the sound is coming from the wheel. btw if it is a wheel bearing, would it only whine during certain speeds. the sound came and went but only around 40-60mph.
Old 12-09-08, 08:23 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Another thing are your tires feathering? If you run your hand on the outside is rough like you need a alignment? Noises also come from that like with Jeeps with big tire ,but you don't have one. Just something else I thought of. Bearings get louder with speed low speed you shouldn't hear it as much or at all.
Old 12-09-08, 08:29 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

i have a whine, it comes from the passenger side as well, i have an LS though, the power steering pump is on the passenger side and it comes from there.. my whine also gets louder as you accelerate.. it usually comes on when im running low on ps fluid, when i top it off it stops whining.. not too sure if it could apply to an sc, but it's worth a shot to see if your ps fluid levels are high enough
Old 12-10-08, 04:55 AM
atxishome
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Does it happen only when your A/C is on? I thought I had a tranny whine as well, but it turned out to be the compressor. There are apparently 4 bearings in there, and one of mine is fried, so... yeah. It started out quietly, when I bought the car, and has gotten louder and louder. If I turn the A/C off, though, it kicks right off. May not be your problem, but it's worth a try.

Peace,
~Joe
Old 12-10-08, 11:40 AM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by farquad
i have a whine, it comes from the passenger side as well, i have an LS though, the power steering pump is on the passenger side and it comes from there.. my whine also gets louder as you accelerate.. it usually comes on when im running low on ps fluid, when i top it off it stops whining.. not too sure if it could apply to an sc, but it's worth a shot to see if your ps fluid levels are high enough
I 2nd this, check your PS fluid level, mine was doing something similar about a week ago and all i did was add some ps fluid and it went away. Good luck
Old 12-10-08, 12:05 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I forgot to mention that having the correct fluid level in the power steering is always a plus.lol
Old 01-14-09, 05:51 PM
scredlex
Lead Lap

any new info on this? i still have the problem...i checked PS fluid, its not the AC. i have a new alternator and got my O ring replaced. i cant think of anything else..can it be the serpentine belt? just thinking of replacing it just to be sure.
Old 01-14-09, 05:54 PM
scredlex
Lead Lap

it really sounds like its coming from just ahead of my dash..towards the passenger side.
Old 01-14-09, 09:35 PM
browngold3
Driver School Candidate

have you changed tires lately? Sometimes some tires makes a loud sound because that happens to me before. Also check your brakes to see if they are low.
Old 03-13-09, 02:31 AM
scredlex
Lead Lap

new sound clip!!!
Old 03-13-09, 06:01 PM
scredlex
Lead Lap

bump for help
Old 03-14-09, 04:24 AM
Clyde4.0
Driver School Candidate

Trans filter ...... the noise is the tranny pump screaming for fluid....just resolved this same problem on mine
Old 03-18-09, 05:27 PM
scredlex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Clyde4.0
Trans filter ...... the noise is the tranny pump screaming for fluid....just resolved this same problem on mine
checked the tranny fluid yesterday and today (after it was fully warm) and the fluid seemed perfect.

it was just over the hot line, and it wasnt dark or burnt. the tranny shifts fine as well. any other input guys?

Quick Reply: transmission whine? or something else