Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc300 VVTi engine setup and wiring in another car

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-08, 10:17 PM
DrLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc300 VVTi engine setup and wiring in another car

I don't have an SC300 (always wanted one), but did pick up an SC300 engine for custom swap into my older supra.

I originally planned to get a regular 2JZGE from a GS300, but found a good deal on a VVTI SC300. I underestimated the complexity of the wiring and VVTi though, doh.

Either way, I have it, so I'll be putting it in. I have some issues to overcome, like making the transmission work, VVTi, DBW, sensors missing, OBDII, etc.

I'll post up any modifications I do for reference. The engine has 59,000 miles and comes from a 2000 SC300 (I'm told). I'll get some pictures. Wish me luck!

Spy photo:

Last edited by DrLex; 12-04-08 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-26-08, 05:46 AM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 935
I don't have an SC300 (always wanted one), but did pick up an SC300 engine for custom swap into my older supra.

I originally planned to get a regular 2JZGE from a GS300, but found a good deal on a VVTI SC300. I underestimated the complexity of the wiring and VVTi though, doh.

Either way, I have it, so I'll be putting it in. I have some issues to overcome, like making the transmission work, VVTi, DBW, sensors missing, OBDII, etc.

I'll post up any modifications I do for reference. The engine has 59,000 miles and comes from a 2000 SC300 (I'm told). I'll get some pictures. Wish me luck!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/members/667-aliga.html
OR
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/members/33545-rgw-llc.html
They may have a complete 2jzge vvti Harness that you can swap in or the the parts to complete the OBDll that you are missing
Old 11-26-08, 06:59 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 935
...Either way, I have it, so I'll be putting it in. I have some issues to overcome, like making the transmission work, VVTi, DBW, sensors missing, OBDII, etc.
First, welcome to CL! Unfortunately, others will flame your efforts because what you're attempting every tuner would like to have in their bag of product offerings - VVTi control, DBW, OBDII, smooth auto shifting, etc.

Be prepared for many obstacles; you have selected a very ambitious project especially if going with an aftermarket ECU. However, I wish you all the best.

-scott
Old 11-26-08, 08:00 AM
khutch
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 935
Wish me luck!
Good luck!

Annnnnnnnd, welcome to CL!
Old 11-26-08, 06:00 PM
DrLex
Driver

Thanks guys.

I expect a few "rolleyes" because it is tons of work for very little gain.

The main advantage is that since it is not IN a lexus, I can get away with some things. Ideally, I would like to get everything working as lexus intended, but after reading for hours I see that it is probably not going to happen.

I am also wiring in a greddy emanage ultimate, which I was using on my old motor. This will give me some control over timing and fuel. Also, I can control the ACIS valve changeover point, if needed.

I need the supra fuel rail, TB, and Y pipe, to make things more "normal". Hopefully those will be in next week. If time permits, I'll be setting the engine in the car this weekend. I would love to hear it fire up.

For the header, I am deciding between the IS300 and the SC300 header. The IS300 with it's large twin pipes seem to be capable of more and about half the price. I will only be using a single 3" cat and a 3" catback. The 3 cats of the stock system just seems to be kinda crazy for any kind of performance.

My current exhaust is 2.5" mandrel bent, but I will eventually change to 3". This being a supra, I only get a single exit (vs the lexus dual exit).

I'm not liking the MAF either, the tube looks very small. Once it runs I will probably change to a larger MAF using the emanage ultimate. I have a Supra TT MAF and a Ford 3.5" MAF on hand.

I can change to map sensor as well, but I did this on my previous engine and was not happy. MAP sensor on N/A is kind of tricky. It works fine but it is not "smooth". A Maf would be more accurate at sensing slightly throttle changes.
Old 12-03-08, 02:36 PM
DrLex
Driver

updates:

- Picked up a used camcon controller
- Picked up a non VVTi fuel rail, for fuel return
- Picked up a non VVTi throttle body and Y pipe from older SC300

I'm currently comparing the differences between the Lexus 98-00 ECU and the Supra 98 VVTi ECU. I'm thinking the supra one might work out better for me, but they are hard to find.

Shopping for intakes right now. Hopefully I can find something CARB legal used on this forum or ebay. If not, I'll use the stock airbox with a hardpipe intake. I'd really like to keep things as legal as possible. The header I can hide but the intake is what they usually look at.

Last edited by DrLex; 12-03-08 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 04:13 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 935
updates:

- Picked up a used camcon controller
- Picked up a non VVTi fuel rail, for fuel return
- Picked up a non VVTi throttle body and Y pipe from older SC300

I'm currently comparing the differences between the Lexus 98-00 ECU and the Supra 98 VVTi ECU. I'm thinking the supra one might work out better for me, but they are hard to find.

Shopping for intakes right now. Hopefully I can find something CARB legal used on this forum or ebay. If not, I'll use the stock airbox with a hardpipe intake. I'd really like to keep things as legal as possible. The header I can hide but the intake is what they usually look at.
You don't have many more years to have the smog exempt on your car.
Old 12-03-08, 10:12 PM
DrLex
Driver

As far as I know that smog rule has changed.

According to the California BAR website shows the rolling exemption smog law ended in 2005 by vote.
Old 12-11-08, 09:33 PM
DrLex
Driver

fuel return vs no fuel return:

non DBW throttle body in comparison:

Old 02-09-09, 09:12 PM
carsmypnis
Driver

do youu still have that vvti throttle body, if u wanna sell it email me carsmypns606@aol.com
santiago
Old 05-04-09, 11:05 PM
DrLex
Driver

It's back!

After the stock motor decided to die, it pushed up the priority of this project. So, this weekend we pulled the old motor and sat the new one in for a test fit. Here she is:

The lexus badge is in the process of being removed, after all, it's a Toyota motor

The wiring nightmare will be soon be started.
Old 05-16-09, 01:03 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAHA! Someone is doing the exact same thing as I am. Could you tell me all you had to do to get a VVT-i motor to work. I heard only the later model GE would go into the supras. I have a 89 turbo with a good motor and crappy wireing so im just taking it all out!
Old 05-17-09, 02:28 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

speak to dr tweak he can do the wiring, so it will work
Old 05-17-09, 02:47 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

wow, looks good so far...

any power adders in the far future? boost?
Old 03-11-12, 07:01 PM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DrLex
fuel return vs no fuel return:

non DBW throttle body in comparison:

explian DBW in this picture.there's a TB wire onthe right TB.

Quick Reply: Sc300 VVTi engine setup and wiring in another car