Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Steering Vacuum Lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-08, 07:04 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steering Vacuum Lines

Just after a long day rebuilding my power steering pump I was glad to be able to put it back together, but I had 2 rubber lines left over which I had forgotten where they went. The lines originate from the locations noted in this photo:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=45

Afterwards I figured they fed into the valve in this photo:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=46

From what I understand, this provides variable steering; full assist at low speeds and low/no assist at high speeds.

Right now my steering at low speeds is incredibly heavy, but I've been afraid to hit the highways so I don't know how it is at high speeds.

If I had gotten them in the wrong order, will it switch the assist around? Or is it something else?
Old 11-23-08, 09:32 AM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Ok, so I thought I'd be brave and test it on the highway and indeed the steering is very light. When stopped or at low speeds, I can't even turn the steering wheel past 180 degrees.

Anyway, since the vacuum lines at the powersteering valve would require taking out the alternator again just to switch the lines; and even then i'm not certain it would fix my problem. So I decided to switch the lines near the intake manifold and intake, but still didn't fix it. However it must have done something because I can do at least 1 full steering wheel turn, but after that it is still super heavy.

Then I tried to plug the them as shown in OLT's post, still didn't fix it. But as with above, I can do at least 1 full turn, but not anymore without incredibly difficulty.

Even though I've read through that entire thread, I'd really like to retain the variable assist. Anyone have an idea of what the problem might be?
Old 11-25-08, 10:43 AM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

just a bump, hope nobody minds. This has me completely stumped!
Old 11-25-08, 05:20 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i know the line runs from intake pipe throught front of engine then to variable then to intake plenum.
Old 11-25-08, 06:32 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

It is unfortunate that I don't know the order on the variable valve itself.

I have considered the possibility that there is no assist at all regardless of speed, and that high speed only feels like there is assist just because I'm moving fast, but it does feel astoundingly lighter than before.

What are some things I can try to diagnose the situation? Also, could the valve be plugged up somehow?
Old 11-25-08, 11:27 PM
wwy059
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the one with the white mark goes to the air intake and the other goes to the front of the intake manifold. Screw the valve out and tap in it in your hand and the inside will come out. It has orings on it and you should be able to replace them if they are damaged and make sure the valve is clear and clean. This is what I did to mine and it is working fine.
Old 11-28-08, 02:22 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

the ones at the top are no problem but it is the ones that hook onto the valve itself that I presume are mixed up. Will check the valve and/or clean it out if necessary when I get the chance. Thanks for the feedbacks so far.
Old 02-15-09, 08:21 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

reviving this thread, finally got a chance to work on the car. Does anyone know the proper vacuum tube connections to that valve? I believe it is called the "vacuum air control valve" or "idle air control valve" on the high pressure inlet, please correct me if I'm wrong. I noticed that air can go through easily one side, but the other side seems to be completely plugged, is that how it's supposed to be?

Basically my assist seems like it is reversed, full assist at high speed and no/little assist at low speed. When I was first adding fluid, the assist seemed to be ok, but as I added more and drove around a bit, eventually I lost it.

If anyone just happens to be taking out their steering pump, it would be really appreciated if you wouldn't mind to keep an eye out for which connector (relative to that little tab thing) goes to the intake and which goes to the manifold. I took the advice from above but both sides have a white mark.

Last edited by greyBLITZ; 02-16-09 at 08:11 AM.