Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Which One do I adjust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-08, 10:28 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which One do I adjust?

Which one do I adjust to bring my idle above 400rpms? Both parts with the black square have the exact same part numbers and I'm nut sure which one to use. In the middle of the 2 is the Idle Speed Control.

See the problem that I'm having is when I first start my car after it sits for hours and is cooled off the idle starts at around 2k or just a tad under and creeps down as it warms up. Once warm it (temp gauge just above the middle line) will be anywhere from 300-500rpms, but the minute I turn my headlights on it drops to another 100rpms give or take, and it does the samething when I go from park to drive.

I'm really not sure what the issue is or if I even have one, but with winter knocking on my door I'm trying to take care of as many possible issues and be proactive instead of retroactive.

Now I have an Interstate battery in the car now, but I have no idea when it was put in because it came with the car. Yesterday I popped the covers to see how the water level in the battery was and one of the cylinders was lower than the rest, so I decided to get a load test done at Autozone. Well the volts and amps were fine but it said that it had a low charge...........not sure what the deal is with that either.

So any help?

Old 11-04-08, 11:20 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

might be an alternator problem actually. right before my alternator went out the car would idle very rough and low at about 600rpm. when you turn other accessories on it would drop more until it almost wanted to stall.

if you have about 2 hours of time take off the alternator and have it tested. take it to autozone and have them run it.

another easy way is to remove the positive battery terminal while the car is running. if the alternator is good it wont die. mine died immediately after removing positive terminal. you alternator might not be dead but on its way out.
Old 11-04-08, 11:30 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
might be an alternator problem actually. right before my alternator went out the car would idle very rough and low at about 600rpm. when you turn other accessories on it would drop more until it almost wanted to stall.

if you have about 2 hours of time take off the alternator and have it tested. take it to autozone and have them run it.

another easy way is to remove the positive battery terminal while the car is running. if the alternator is good it wont die. mine died immediately after removing positive terminal. you alternator might not be dead but on its way out.
lol WOW, i'm not sure what this means, but just did as you said when I took the P off of the battery everything stayed the same...........it kept idling at 500RPMs. Well here is the interesting part while the car was still running I put the P terminal back on and the RPMS went to 300 and you could hear and see everything slow down. UMMMM not sure now lol

Also I just got back from a 20 minute drive, so the battery should be charged
Old 11-04-08, 01:29 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Take it to autozone and have them check the alternator for free.
Old 11-10-08, 12:38 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Ok well just an update to this on going issue. I just replaced the Interstate battery with a Duralast Gold 750 CCA and it is still doing the samething, but I did notice something while driving.

After I put the new battery in I drove around for about 30 minutes to make sure it got a good charge, but the entire time I was driving from start to finish whenever I was at a light idling the RPM's would drop from 500 to 300/250. So while I was stopped at one light I decided to go through all gears and see what happened.

I went from drive to Neutral and guess what.......the RPM's went from 300/250 to 500/600 and stayed there with no bouncing around. The minute I put it in to drive or reverse the RPM's dropped back down, I put it in park and the RPM's go back to up so at this point I'm not sure what the deal is, regulator maybe?
Old 11-10-08, 12:41 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

that normal for any car. when i drive it has load on it. do it to most other car. the rpm will drop a bit from park to drive.
Old 11-10-08, 12:42 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
that normal for any car. when i drive it has load on it. do it to most other car. the rpm will drop a bit from park to drive.
The other thing I forgot to add was if I turn the Heat on the RPMS go up to 1.2k and stay there no matter what, is that normal as well? All my other cars idled around 800 or so.
Old 11-18-08, 05:59 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Well I just braved the cold (27 degrees) and tested the battery with the car off and I'm getting 12.45 VOLTS steady, when I turn the car on and test the battery again I get 14.45-14.43 VOLTS so I would guess that the alternator and new battery are fine.........unless there is something I missed?

So at this point I'm starting to wonder if my idle issue really is not an issue at all, but is normal. The picture below is not mine I found it on the forum so I can give everyone an idea where the car is idling now.

The teal line (or just a bit lower) is where the car idles at stop lights with head lights on and the car in drive or reverse. If I shut the headlights off and put the car in park or neutral the rpms will go up the white line just above where it is now.

So do you think there is a problem?

Old 11-18-08, 06:42 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

since you have over 12.4 volts static and above 14 volts while running your alternator and battery seem fine.

the idle is okay. tiny bit low but acceptable. the designated idle for 2jzge if i recall correctly is 650-750rpm. my car idles at about 700 all day. that goes up with heat and ac due to extra load on the engine and electrical system.

i think you are okay. if you have any more issues we can do a more indepth diagnosis of your car from like far away(however long it is from chicago to you) lol