Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car not starting....again

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 04:59 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not starting....again

Ok, so I was going to use a block tester to see if I had a BHG. I turn on the car, for about 5 seconds, then I had to turn it off because I had a phone call and I didn't want to be distracted.

After the call I go back and try to crank. It won't start.

I am puzzled!! I take off one of the spark plugs and do a spark test.

NO SPARK!!!.. OMFG JUST WHEN I HAD IT RUNNIN.

swapped igniters, nothing. Put a new plug in, nothing. switched out coils. Nothing.

Checked for voltage at igniter, there is voltage there. There is voltage at the coil.

Checked for resistance at the crank position sensor. The resistance is acceptable.

The only thing i haven't done is swap computers and check the camshaft position sensor which is in a PITA place to get to without having the hands of a 2 year old.

I'll be taking off the intake manifold tomorrow.

Also, on a second note, if any of you have followed my hardships through my other threads, then you would know that I am overheating. Bad...

So i went to check the water pump and had to take off the belt. Could this be the problem? Did I get the timing off? Does it matter to the camshaft position sensor?

BTW I can only see 1 camshaft position sensor on my JDM motor. On the usdm service manual, it seems that they have 2? Can anyone confirm.

I am ready to give up at this point. I feel very discouraged and frustrated
Old 10-29-08, 05:38 PM
dinhnerz
Pole Position

Are you getting a check engine code? Is there fuel? Timing could have jump causing a no spark/fuel condition. Theres 2 camshaft sensors on the gte motors. One in the front and one in the rear. Rear is a pain in the *** to get to. I would check the timing and your ign fuse in the driver kick panel. I believe its a 7.5 amp.
Old 10-29-08, 07:51 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dinhnerz
Are you getting a check engine code? Is there fuel? Timing could have jump causing a no spark/fuel condition. Theres 2 camshaft sensors on the gte motors. One in the front and one in the rear. Rear is a pain in the *** to get to. I would check the timing and your ign fuse in the driver kick panel. I believe its a 7.5 amp.

Yes on the engine code, Its for the TPS sensor though. I bought a new one and installed it. There is fuel, I pulled a plug I could smell the fuel in the cylinder. I can only find one camshaft sensor. I am wondering if jdm have only one. i don't know I will post a picture to show you.

Ok, how do I check timing when there is no spark? I'll check the fuse also.
Old 10-29-08, 09:13 PM
drft_n_VIP
Rookie

dang dude!!! I know exactly how u feel right now! trust me... DONT give up my car did the same after I changed my water pump, and it ended up being that my timing jumped, I left my tensioner loose and it snapped, and my dumbA$$ put on a distributor rotor on backwards
I didnt have a way to see if my timing was off... so I went ahead and bought a new timing belt... started gettin to it, then I realized what all else was wrong with it!!! But now besides my little power steering issue im having... its all good! where in Texas do u stay? if ur close I can help out
Old 10-29-08, 09:19 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Dallas/richardson area So if your timing is off, it won't spark?
Old 10-29-08, 09:44 PM
drft_n_VIP
Rookie

tite, ur less than an hour away... and well when mine was doin this I didnt even check to see if my plugs had spark, but I did check to see if my coils had spark, and even though one rotor was backwards (running on four cylinders =/.. ) it still showed spark in both coils! but yea for sure if your timing jumps... it'll just crank... but wont start regardless of how many times you try it!
Old 10-29-08, 09:47 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

See, even if the timing was off, it should still spark correct?
Old 10-29-08, 09:47 PM
drft_n_VIP
Rookie

im almost 100 percent sure your timing jumped! U said it started... then after u turned it off... it didnt start! SAME thing happened to mine!... well bro ima hit the sack... I gotta catch up on some sleep!
Old 10-29-08, 09:49 PM
drft_n_VIP
Rookie

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
See, even if the timing was off, it should still spark correct?
correct... it'll spark! it'll sound like it WANTS to start, but its not goin to! what year is ur car? sc4 or 3?
Old 10-29-08, 09:51 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

93 SC3. There is NO SPARK.... So I have to fix that first. A new water pump is on its way on friday, I will reset the valve timing then. But I need to fix the no spark condition. According to what you are saying, even if the timing is wrong there should still be spark.
Old 10-30-08, 12:40 AM
dinhnerz
Pole Position

Is this a GE or GTE motor? GTE motors have 2 cam sensors. When I say timing I mean the timing belt. To start a engine you need, spark, fuel, timing and compression. Timing will cause the engine to not spark. You could take the cam gear cover and rotate the crank to the 0 on the timing belt cover. Then see if the cam gear are both facing up to see if timing is on.
Old 10-30-08, 09:43 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Is this a GE or GTE motor? GTE motors have 2 cam sensors. When I say timing I mean the timing belt. To start a engine you need, spark, fuel, timing and compression. Timing will cause the engine to not spark. You could take the cam gear cover and rotate the crank to the 0 on the timing belt cover. Then see if the cam gear are both facing up to see if timing is on.
Ok, Checked the timing, but like I said... It seems that I only have one cam sensor. Either that or I am really really blind. It is a gte, but a JDM gte.. Wonder if that matters.

This is the only one I could find.

I believe that this is the rear sensor. There is no front.

If I end up taking the intake manifold off, then i will take better pictures of what I am saying.

Also On the timing, we marked the belt on how it should go on when we took the belt off so we made sure that we put it back where we found it.

But after doing what you said here are the pics.

Both cams are right under the notch marks, it just doesn't seem so cause of the angle.

Here is the crank.

Hmm, shouldn't it be at the 0 degree mark? Looks like the timing did jump?

Searched supraforums and it appears that sometimes the trigger wheel of the crank pully gets loose and ****s things up.

I don't even know how to check if that is what it is though..
Old 10-30-08, 10:09 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

also, is it possible that it was pulling timing? I thought it only does that is if it detects knock right?
Old 10-30-08, 12:18 PM
dinhnerz
Pole Position

Timing is way off. Redo your timing belt. When it knocks it retards IGN timing. Theres 2 cam sensor on gte motors. JDM or UDSM both have 2 cam sensors. The rear is all the way near the end of the engine and the front is somewhere between 1st and 2nd cylinder injectors.
Old 10-30-08, 12:50 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Timing is way off. Redo your timing belt. When it knocks it retards IGN timing. Theres 2 cam sensor on gte motors. JDM or UDSM both have 2 cam sensors. The rear is all the way near the end of the engine and the front is somewhere between 1st and 2nd cylinder injectors.
I'll redo the timing today, but I still can't find that cam sensor.

I'll assume that 1st and 2nd cyl is counting from the front of the engine..

Here are pics from the fuel rail/head.

This is the 1st cyl injector, no cam sensor in sight.

Heres the 2nd injector.

Heres inbetween. I try to make sure that the plugs I am looking at are injectors and not the cam sensor.

Of this I am pretty sure.

Quick Reply: Car not starting....again