Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

93 SC300 not running right-rich

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 05:50 PM
twyztedgt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 SC300 not running right-rich

I used the search function first and didn't come up with anything but heres my situation:

93 SC300 don't know too much of the history on it, just bought it Saturday and previous owner bought it in the current condition. 192k miles. It will start, but not very good, and its rough and kicks out a "fuel cloud" out of the back, obviously running very rich. Has a newer fuel pump and filter. I dunno if its regular for the lexus, but the fuel pump seems to run constantly. No CEL comes on.

At one point in time the driver seat has shorted out and started a small fire and the PO thought this was what had cause the problem. He swore up and down it needed an ECU. I seem to disagree. I'm thinking either the fuel pressure regulator or TPS, but don't know how to test further besides dropping the money on it. Any other ideas or someone with experience in something similar?
Old 10-21-08, 08:59 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

First you need to check you basic maintenance items like your plugs,wires, cap,rotor and your intake system. See if those have ever been changed. The ecu with this model doesn't go bad often compared to the 92-94 SC400 models. The seat thing I am not sure what our talking about like the small fire shorted the electrical system. I don't think that is really possible unless it spread farther into the car. Maintenance items first and then see what ya find.
Old 10-21-08, 02:13 PM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same problem with my sc, my cap, rotar etcetera are all great. My problems started after i degreased the engine. i don't know whats wrong
Old 10-21-08, 03:26 PM
twyztedgt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
First you need to check you basic maintenance items like your plugs,wires, cap,rotor and your intake system. See if those have ever been changed. The ecu with this model doesn't go bad often compared to the 92-94 SC400 models. The seat thing I am not sure what our talking about like the small fire shorted the electrical system. I don't think that is really possible unless it spread farther into the car. Maintenance items first and then see what ya find.

ya, the guy I got it from said the seat harness got stuck underneath the track and shorted out, and caught on fire. The corner of the seat, the carpet and the doorpanel are all burned. I doubt it could be something from that. It also sounds like the injectors are constantly spraying full blast from under the hood. I have a new cap and rotor for it i need to put on, but the sparkplugs I know are way black because of all the running i've let it do while trying to figure it out. I was leaning more towards the fuel pump ECU since the fuel pump and injectors seem to pump constantly.
Old 10-21-08, 09:30 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gabegtz84
i have the same problem with my sc, my cap, rotar etcetera are all great. My problems started after i degreased the engine. i don't know whats wrong
Got water in a place were it didn't need to be. lol
Old 10-23-08, 07:47 AM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

Sholexman, after some careful looking around, it seems one of my spark plugs was compromised, i'm going to give the vehicle a tune up....

Then i'll be crusing the streets again!

As for twyzted... I hope ur problem is mechanical and not electrical. Cuz the ease of fixing is dramatically harder with the electrical stuff.

If your car was running fine afte rthe fire, i'd attribute it to Mechanical, check your spark plugs, maybe one is f'd
Old 10-23-08, 08:19 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twyztedgt
ya, the guy I got it from said the seat harness got stuck underneath the track and shorted out, and caught on fire. The corner of the seat, the carpet and the doorpanel are all burned. I doubt it could be something from that. It also sounds like the injectors are constantly spraying full blast from under the hood. I have a new cap and rotor for it i need to put on, but the sparkplugs I know are way black because of all the running i've let it do while trying to figure it out. I was leaning more towards the fuel pump ECU since the fuel pump and injectors seem to pump constantly.
How was the problem with the seat fixed? Did he re wire it all or did someone else fix it? It might have shorted out the Fuel pump ECU somehow, but i would think that fuel would not be running at all with a shorted fuel pump ECU.

If the injectors sound like their running all the time it might be a timing issue, but I highly doubt it. Check the MAF and TPS sensors to see if they are working properly. You will get a CEL eventually but probably just for the overly rich mixture.
Old 10-24-08, 03:59 AM
twyztedgt
Driver School Candidate

they just unhooked the seat and seperated the problem wires. The rest was gonna be my problem I was thinkin it was the fuel ECU but I traded it off wednesday, so now its someone elses problem.
Old 11-04-08, 10:06 AM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

Traded it off for what??
Old 11-04-08, 10:14 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

soooooooo basically when u start the car it has a big fuel cloud out the exhaust im havin the same problem now and people tell me either its my ecu and TPS...or plugs,wires n all that...idk wut to do now the car wont even start....and if i do get it to start..then idle is real low and the car will stall and turn off!!!!

Last edited by 94_soarer; 11-04-08 at 10:19 AM.