Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

need urgent help, 1uz

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-08, 07:42 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default need urgent help, 1uz

this is for you 400 guys, what are the chances a bolt can drop between the flywheel teeth and starter teeth?

the story:
yesterday i decided to change my fuel injectors since i was getting a lean malfunction code. was reassembling the car and one of the fuel rail bolts (one that holds the line to the fuel rail, one with the hole down the middle of the bolt) fell behind the harness and disappeared. looked under the car and found nothing, tried using a magnet to pick it up, nothing. so i thought its probably just sitting on top of something, so i put my intake and stuff on for a start up. go to crank the car over, cranks for a second and stops. just a click and smoke comes out of the positive battery terminal. what are the chances that it could be wedged between the flywheel and the starter mechanism?
Old 10-18-08, 08:00 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

oh crap wth, i thought i posted in performance......whoops sorry, can someone move?
Old 10-18-08, 08:01 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The starter and the block is an enclosed setup. So dropping a bolts down the valley (between the V) is ok and it should not do anything to the flywheel. There is NO opening for that. Is possible that the bolt is touching the starter (+) and contacting the block (-) at the same time. Try few more time to fish it out. If this goes on it might burn your electrical systems.
Old 10-18-08, 08:08 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

just went to a mechanic to ask, and he said to check my fuel injectors? im going to double check all my connections and see if i find anything loose. wish the back of the LS wasnt so confined to space. thanks for response David.
Old 10-18-08, 08:15 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

If your bolt drop behind the harness it is most likely fell to the ground. Look under the parked space. Injector connection will not cause the above symptoms. First of all you can not connect the wrong injector with wrong wire because the length is given and they are all into each other. Secondly, there is only direction to clip the injector. So it is unlikely is your injectors. It is also possible you didnt tighten the terminal (+) at the battery. So the contact is loose and this will cause some smoking too. Dropping the bolt behind the harness with do pretty much NO damage unless I stated the above possibility.
Old 10-18-08, 08:23 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

yes im pretty sure the injectors are in there tight. also the posi terminal was loose since i took off my cable for my audio.
Old 10-18-08, 09:18 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

ok so i just tried starting the car and its cranking but it sounds like something is grinding...
Old 10-18-08, 03:59 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Can you jack up the car and take the access port off on the bottom in front of the bell housing. Get a flashlight and a small mirror if you can find one. Shine the light on the mirror or in the bell housing and see if the bolt is in the flywheel or the starter teeth. That or you could have like mentioned before grounded out the positive lead on the starter. That sucks thought man I hate taking off the upper and lower intake manifolds. Tell me what ya find later>>>
Old 10-18-08, 07:37 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

if some gas gets into the starter can that affect anything?
Old 10-19-08, 08:01 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

so im gonna go about tackling the starter...gonna be a long day today.
Old 10-19-08, 09:10 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Looks like your starter is not fully engage and grinding the flywheel. Now you need a new starter and perhaps a new flywheel too.
Old 10-19-08, 10:07 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

God be with you starter jobs ahh 4 hour plus job.
Old 10-19-08, 10:14 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Originally Posted by Lextreme
Looks like your starter is not fully engage and grinding the flywheel. Now you need a new starter and perhaps a new flywheel too.
i hope its just starter and not flywheel....

well the upper intake manifold is off. so im almost there..kinda
Old 10-19-08, 10:36 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

I am sure your flywheel is fine. However, it might have a lot of scratches. Starter is about 6 hours work. Make sure you test out the starter before putting everything back.
Old 10-19-08, 10:40 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

yep im following the tut on ur site. btw the bolts on the egr pipe was a pita to loosen lol. and the amount of crap on the upper manifold was truly disgusting. gonna try to clean it out as best as i can.

Quick Reply: need urgent help, 1uz