Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

a little worried..

Old 10-18-08, 02:00 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default a little worried..

I'm getting ready to start piecing together everything to go na-t on my 92 sc3..but worried about the auto trans..I would like to run a conservative 8psi, but I have seen people putting down high 200 to low 300whp..going 5 speed isnt an option cause my wife drives the car too, and she's scared of manuals after destroying an m30 bmw trans..

I have done some reading, but get soo many different results from threads/posts saying 300-350 is ok, and others sayin 350+ is ok..

would 8psi be a problem with the auto trans with only 83k miles on the clock?
Old 10-18-08, 07:09 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say if your going to be boosting your car I would build up the automatic trans. Since it has 83 thousand miles on it I wouldn't run it that way. Put a high stall torque converter in it. I would bring it to a performance tranny shop and have them build it up. Replace the clutch packs with a high friction clutch material. That and drill out the valve body so more fluid can make it shift faster and harder. Saying that you wouldn't do that you could run into issues were the tranny would have trouble keeping up with the boost. Wouldn't shift correctly and there would be a good possibility that something could break. I would upgrade also if you want to raise the boost on it cause I know you would get bored with that much.lol Thats my outlook on it.