Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Pictures of CF Seibon Hood Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-08, 11:04 AM
TJohnson
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of CF Seibon Hood Fitment

I've had about 6 people recently ask me about the fitment of the CF Seibon hood, so I thought I'd post some pictures of the fitment and show some of the issues I ran into with the install.

I've had the hood about 6 months now, but shortly after I got it I bought my first house, got a job promotion, and have been traveling like crazy, so I just now got around to answering some of those questions. For those of you that have asked in the past, I apologize it has taken so long to answer.

Ok onto the issues and little bits of information about it.

1. You can't use hood struts, or at least the factory ones. I haven't found any weaker ones that will work that won't cause a bulge in the hood when you close it. If anyone has a solution for that, I'd love to know.

2. At the very back of the hood on each side where the hinges are, you will see a piece that looks like a hook or a duck head. My hood did not have provisions cut out for that, so I had to cut a small hole on each side that the hook would fit into when you closed it. The hooks have two bolts that hold them to the car, but mine was also welded, so I coudln't remove them. I would have if it wasn't welded.

3. I bought new windshield squirters from Lexus and the holes in the hood are just a tiny bit too small to work. Again out came the dremel for just a few minor adjustments to make them squeeze in there. These squirters are painted the factory color from the factory, so I made sure to get black to match the hood.

4. As you will see on the latch picture, I only have one bolt in there right now. One of the supplied bolts is too long and won't tighten down the latch. So there is only one in there now and after a trip to Home Depot, that problem will be solved too.

This car isn't my daily driver and hasn't even seen 1000 miles yet in the 8 months I've owned it, so I'm not concerned about hood pins or other things that some might want to do. The hood doesn't move hardly at all on the freeway and I don't see any risk with it coming up. It's a very secure hood and aside from those few very small issues, its an excellent quality hood and lines up and fits great.

Onto the pictures.....

Old 10-05-08, 11:55 AM
DrakeMK3
Driver

I know you said you can't use factory hood struts, but does it have holes for hood struts?
Old 10-05-08, 11:56 AM
camberSC
Lexus Champion

Sexy!! How much did you pick it up for?
Old 10-05-08, 12:19 PM
TJohnson
Driver

Yes it does have provisions for hood struts. The factory ones fit no problem, but when you try to close the hood, they are too strong for the hood and cause a wave or bulge in the center when its latched.

I picked it up for just over $400 shipped from a company on Ebay in Sacramento CA. Shipped it UPS Freight and was delivered to my office in about 3-4 business days. I was very impressed with them and how well everything went and how quickly it was delivered.
Old 10-05-08, 12:21 PM
camberSC
Lexus Champion

That's a pretty good price being that its shipped.... And the fitment looks perferct.
Old 10-05-08, 02:00 PM
lpolo69
Pole Position

Fitment looks great man
Old 10-05-08, 10:36 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what was the ebay sellers name? that is fairly cheap
Old 10-06-08, 06:20 AM
TJohnson
Driver

Originally Posted by BigManne
what was the ebay sellers name? that is fairly cheap
I just got to work and was able to look at my receipt. I was a little off on the price I paid, but not much at all. I paid $430 delivered for it brand new on February 8th of this year.

octane_motorsports is the seller. I don't see them having these up there much, but got lucky and snagged this one up.
Old 10-28-08, 11:59 PM
Collan
Driver School Candidate

what was the weight difference between the stock hood and the carbon fiber one? How much weight savings?
Old 10-29-08, 12:50 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Collan
what was the weight difference between the stock hood and the carbon fiber one? How much weight savings?
On my VIS one it was about 45 lbs difference. The Seibon is probably very similar.
Old 10-29-08, 06:24 AM
clevercat
Lead Lap

Here is my VIS CF hood.
VIS is lighter than Seiban.
Seiban CF hood has slightly better quality than VIS.
I could not wait 6 months for Seiban so I ended up getting VIS hood.
I ended up putting the hood pins because air got under the hood and start weaving from front to back.
I had to slow down when back of the hood raised about 4 inches...
We were going fast.

TJ, I have a set of custom made hood shocks for CF hood from Mike.
I am going to install them this weekened.
I waited about 6 months for them.
Will get you the info. if they work.

Last edited by clevercat; 10-29-08 at 06:38 AM.
Old 10-29-08, 07:18 AM
TJohnson
Driver

Looks like the VIS fits pretty good too. I haven't noticed any waves or anything on mine yet. It moves a bit from time to time on the freeway, but not enough for me to worry.

Definitely let me know about the struts. I'd love to find some!