Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Motor and trans mounts? I think not..

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 04:55 PM
lemaylexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Motor and trans mounts? I think not..

So I took my SC300 in to have the oil changed the other day because I had noticed what looked like a small oil leak or maybe tranny fluid. I decided to go ahead and have them change my motor and tranny mounts to kill the vibration and hard shifts. However, after doing a little digging, my mechanic called me and asked me to come up to the shop. He wanted to show me something. Turns out, the motor mounts are fine. Just a little problem in the form of my flywheel being completely broken and wadded up in there. It was hard to see from the bottom of the car, but you could definitely tell there was a big crack in the flywheel that went up as high as I could see. I have no idea how I drove the hour and a half that day before I took it to the mechanic without getting stranded (I guess that's a testament to the other parts of the car, and the flywheel itself. Even when broken, it still works). How the hell could this have happened? I drive the car like my grandmother drives hers. I'm looking at what could be some major repair costs now, seeing as if it messed anything up with the torque converter or the tranny pump, this is a serious deal. Plus labor isn't gonna be cheap now that we have to take the transmission out. I've been driving the car with no noticeable problems for months. Anyone seen this before or have any ideas?
Old 10-01-08, 05:59 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Old 10-01-08, 06:13 PM
lemaylexus
Driver

sorry about that, o.l.t.
Old 10-01-08, 06:17 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

You aight.

Sorry about that fly wheel thing. Sounds like the fly wheel is not so fly.
Old 10-02-08, 08:09 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lemaylexus
So I took my SC300 in to have the oil changed the other day because I had noticed what looked like a small oil leak or maybe tranny fluid. I decided to go ahead and have them change my motor and tranny mounts to kill the vibration and hard shifts. However, after doing a little digging, my mechanic called me and asked me to come up to the shop. He wanted to show me something. Turns out, the motor mounts are fine. Just a little problem in the form of my flywheel being completely broken and wadded up in there. It was hard to see from the bottom of the car, but you could definitely tell there was a big crack in the flywheel that went up as high as I could see. I have no idea how I drove the hour and a half that day before I took it to the mechanic without getting stranded (I guess that's a testament to the other parts of the car, and the flywheel itself. Even when broken, it still works). How the hell could this have happened? I drive the car like my grandmother drives hers. I'm looking at what could be some major repair costs now, seeing as if it messed anything up with the torque converter or the tranny pump, this is a serious deal. Plus labor isn't gonna be cheap now that we have to take the transmission out. I've been driving the car with no noticeable problems for months. Anyone seen this before or have any ideas?
Maybe your grandma needs to stop doing smokies and donuts all over the place jk

how long has this vibration and hard shifting been going on for? that's probably when the flywheel started to fail on you. It's rare to see one crack so badly. Any pics of it when it comes off?

If the TC and the oil pump is okay then you should be looking at a $250 for the flexplate/flywheel, but it the TC and Pump are affected you're looking at about $1500 for the whole package and that doesn't include labor...wish you luck.
Old 10-02-08, 09:40 AM
lemaylexus
Driver

Thanks for the input, StiCk3. Yeah I'll put some pictures up next week when we get it out of there. The hard shifts have been happening for months. I haven't ever done any donuts or burnouts either. Hell, I haven't even driven with the traction control off. I got the car for $6k even about a year ago. Since then I've replaced the tires, and part of the exhaust system which had rusted out. I know for sure that my A/C system needs major work, and now this flywheel mess. Obviously you get what you pay for. The upside to it all is the body is in fantastic shape, its a 97, and the interior is also in pretty admirable shape (plus its black leather ). I'm sure this will all work out, but dang, these things aren't cheap!
Old 10-03-08, 02:57 PM
lemaylexus
Driver

Alright, so here's the deal. My torque converter is done for too. Looks like I'm really gonna get the shaft on this one. My mechanic has it all taken apart and he says it's definitely going to have to be replaced. He tried to find a part locally but couldn't do it, so he called Lexus and they are quoting me at around $900 for one. Do you guys have any suggestions?? I'm looking at around $1600 total if we have to go through the dealer for the flywheel and its components and now a torque converter. What a rough week.. The upside to this is maybe my car will be a little faster once this stuff is replaced? It always did seem a sort of sluggish to me. There's gotta be an upside somewhere haha.
Old 10-03-08, 03:08 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just buy a lextreme torque converter or another aftermarket with a higher stall speed. just my $0.02

as for the flywheel, pm aliga or R & J Dist and see if they have any decent ones in; and any other parts that you may need as well.
Old 10-03-08, 03:15 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

sucks to hear.... I know how bad it can be man. My mom's toyota avalon a few years back had cracked flywheel for god knows what reason. There was no difference in shifting but the rattle was unbearable. What can I say? s*** happens sometimes... we were just the lucky ones that had that problem and no one else.
Old 10-03-08, 03:27 PM
lemaylexus
Driver

Yeah, it's just part of life. Luckily business has been decent the past few days and I just got booked for tomorrow night, another $500 2 hour show. So that's really gonna help. I appreciate the input from everyone. Does anyone know of specific members that have a 2jzge torque converter from Lextreme? I'd really like to get in contact with them and make sure it's the real deal before I do it. Seems like I've seen Lextreme posting around here somewhere before though, so I'm sure it's legitimate. Just would be nice to hear from some happy Lextreme customers.

After some further research tonight, I've decided I'm going to go with the Lextreme TC. Seems like the best deal for the money. Plus, I'm not planning on doing any engine modifications at this point so horsepower concerns aren't applicable.

Last edited by lemaylexus; 10-03-08 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-10-08, 11:45 AM
WICKED SC4
Driver

I have an edge racing tourque converter... They range from ~$400-1200. I got a high stall. Mine is 3000rpm stall. Give them a call. Mine was about ~$650.

Lextreme is hp absorbing. You will lose all your top end if you go with that one. It puts all your power down low and you lose your top end. You may not like that. I didn't.

Edge makes the best most efficient converters and stand behind it. They are brazen heat proof and 100% true lock up unlike the Lextreme. Just something to think about. My lock up converter increased the gas mileage.

http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/
Edge Racing Converters
480 E. Easy St. Unit 1
Simi Valley, CA 93065
1-888-350-3343

Get a loose one versus a tight one. Helps the low end and makes the driveability better. They have 1900rpm stall up to whatever.