Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Want better low end performance, try this! It's free!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-09, 03:54 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
KC, after much debate i finally man'ed up and cut the wire. Holy SHI*. My sc4 only has an intake and full exhaust (no resonators either) and it broke the wheels loose off the line. It almost feels as if it accelerates harder and faster (maybe thats in my mind). Now i just need some FI to go with this and ill have so much fun.

What year is your car?

Notice any negative effects?

Go into as much detail as possible, good for others to know.

-----------------------------------

I put in my modded valve body from IPT, so far so good. Was able to change the 1-2 shift from 24mph to 36mph and it actually shifts.

KC
Old 06-22-09, 07:02 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So far no neggative effects. I am worried it will kill the tranny prematurely. I have notice beter throttle response, firmer shifts and a nice hard pull off the line. Mashing the throttle at WOT in 3rd or 4th whatever is the final drive has an almost instant down shift. Also using the OD button help reduce vehicle speed very efficiently when not wanting to brake and be "one of those brake tappers". I think i am going to try and wire it to the TRAC button, so when i want the performance i disable the trac and the 4th selenoid.

So how will this negativly affect my car in the long run? How long has anyone had this wire cut for so far???
Old 06-22-09, 07:03 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

oh yeah its a 93' with like 230k ish miles on it!
Old 06-22-09, 07:45 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

I don't personally think it will have any negative effects. In fact, I think it's better for it.

The no4 solenoid bleeds pressure off as the accumulators are filling up basically making the transmission slip. Anything that creates a smooth shift = slip.

Now, having said that, I'm on my second transmission and I think I might need a third soon. BUT, I am pushing an estimated 390rwhp (3728lbs and 112mph trap speeds!) through it and have put 70+ drag strip passes on the current gearbox.

KC
Old 06-24-09, 07:47 PM
66fasty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this today, and it feels a little bit stronger,when you hit the gas the power comes on instantly.My car has 180k btw.
Old 06-25-09, 09:27 PM
MuGGzyx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did this.

Snipped the wire at the ECM.
Took all the slack out of the throttle cable and cleaned everything up.
Did not reset the ECM but test drove it and notice a small difference.

I think I have some other issue right now getting in the way...

But the good news is no dash lights and no codes.
Old 06-26-09, 09:50 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

yeah...I mean its not like throwing a big red R on your car for 10 HP. It down allow for faster sportier shifter. I had just recently done a tune up though (water pump, belts, dist, wires, and pulstar plugs) I still have a cel code 13 light that annoyes me to no extent! But the off the line performance is deff fun, the car actually produces a fun amount of torque off the line!
Old 06-26-09, 09:36 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Just did the no4 solenoid mod, pulled up the carpet, pulled the ecu cover, the wire(pin13 red/black) is on the furthest left module right next to a light blue wire like KC said.

The car does squat a lot at initial acceleration and in-between shifts now but the power picks up right away and keep coming through the rpms. Definitely a gain. Just stupid my little transmission something is wrong with it, it keeps shifting into Od after 1st or 2nd even though od button is turned off and it's in L gear. Ahhhh, nice mod still. :thumb:
Old 07-08-09, 12:33 PM
MuGGzyx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about 2 weeks since the mod. I like the take off and acceleration effect this has but on my car (93 SC400) it seems to have made the deceleration/downshift very harsh. It feels like someone is kicking the underside of the car when it shifts down and starts to slow down. This is mostly apparent in rush hour stop and go traffic and it is only a little annoying but it is noticeable enough that I am somewhat concerned that it is hard on the transmission. I am considering adding a toggle switch so that I can turn the effect on and off for when I am in traffic and actually WANT the smoother low speed ride.
Old 07-08-09, 07:49 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MuGGzyx
about 2 weeks since the mod. I like the take off and acceleration effect this has but on my car (93 SC400) it seems to have made the deceleration/downshift very harsh. It feels like someone is kicking the underside of the car when it shifts down and starts to slow down. This is mostly apparent in rush hour stop and go traffic and it is only a little annoying but it is noticeable enough that I am somewhat concerned that it is hard on the transmission. I am considering adding a toggle switch so that I can turn the effect on and off for when I am in traffic and actually WANT the smoother low speed ride.
Sure you don't have a bad mount?

Mine does the same thing, even worse now since the shift kit. My mounts are realatively new though. Haven't had a chance to lift it up and check it out yet. Sometimes it feels like its coming from the rear end.

Some have suggested wiring it to the ECT switch.

KC
Old 07-08-09, 09:49 PM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

I'm sooo pissed that this doesn't work for an sc3!

Here's one for you tho..

my sister has a 97, (sc300) and her O/D flashes like that, it always has.

Her car Squats and pins you to the seat a lot more then my 94 (sc300)

Is this because the 97 has a 5 speed auto tranny and mine has a 4sp?

I'd like to figure out if there's something like this for sc300's. because it will be a while untill I can afford my r154 swap.
Old 07-08-09, 11:29 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MuGGzyx
Yea same thing with mine. Harsh downshift into first gear.

DRFT103, all sc300's had a 4speed auto tranny. only the manuals had 5 speeds.

Edit: KC, do you have a wiring diagram of the no. 4 solenoid for a 96 sc400?

Last edited by sc-driver; 07-08-09 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 09:24 AM
DRFT103
Lead Lap

Then i wonder why hers has WAYYYY better low end torque then mine. and why her o/d is flashing?

Old 07-09-09, 03:41 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

the O/D light flashing means its throwing a code for the transmission. There should be some sort of pattern to it.

What strikes me odd is that you said the car is a 97, and all 96+ cars have obdII. Meaning that if there was a problem with the transmission, the check engine light would show.

Besides, sc300's don't have a no. 4 solenoid. So you guys don't have to worry about this mod. It came from the factory already . All cars lose power over time if you don't keep up with maintenance.
Old 07-21-09, 06:20 PM
AyDee
Driver

am going to try this tonight

Crossing my fingers

Quick Reply: Want better low end performance, try this! It's free!