Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Want better low end performance, try this! It's free!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-10, 09:08 AM
keskipper
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: six days later and here is what I have to report after a round trip to Miami (about 600 miles) and some local driving...

Still has firmer shifts at low end (though I didn't do any drag racing). Cruising was perfect, no issues. Gas mileage was about the same as before (low 20s MPG @ ~75 mph). The only odd thing, which it didn't do before, was the speedo bounced around a little before settling in (at speed), and I noticed it was off (under) by about 2-3 mph per my GPS (never was before, was dead on) - though I almost couldn't tell as my needles are out LMAO have to watch for the needle to pass a lit backlight to know how fast I am going - need to hook up with OLT eventually

Not sure if I will reattach the wire or not (probably will), I don't drag race much - but it was fun to actually get her to break loose

Oh, and Scott - I was LMAO at your post...well said.
Old 10-25-10, 08:37 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

I would like to hear how this has all worked out for you guys that tried it------please be honest----anyone ruin their tranny? Damage it or anything else in any way ? Or has this "mod" worked without a hitch?

Please elaborate-----im not looking to do it myself but I am curious as to how it has worked out for everyone---thanks
Old 10-25-10, 08:41 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by keskipper
Update: six days later and here is what I have to report after a round trip to Miami (about 600 miles) and some local driving...

Still has firmer shifts at low end (though I didn't do any drag racing). Cruising was perfect, no issues. Gas mileage was about the same as before (low 20s MPG @ ~75 mph). The only odd thing, which it didn't do before, was the speedo bounced around a little before settling in (at speed), and I noticed it was off (under) by about 2-3 mph per my GPS (never was before, was dead on) - though I almost couldn't tell as my needles are out LMAO have to watch for the needle to pass a lit backlight to know how fast I am going - need to hook up with OLT eventually

Not sure if I will reattach the wire or not (probably will), I don't drag race much - but it was fun to actually get her to break loose

Oh, and Scott - I was LMAO at your post...well said.
Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
I would like to hear how this has all worked out for you guys that tried it------please be honest----anyone ruin their tranny? Damage it or anything else in any way ? Or has this "mod" worked without a hitch?

Please elaborate-----im not looking to do it myself but I am curious as to how it has worked out for everyone---thanks
Were you looking for something different than what I posted? Maybe a longer time period?
Old 10-25-10, 08:58 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by keskipper
Were you looking for something different than what I posted? Maybe a longer time period?
No I read your post and that is why I wanted to hear more about it from others who have tried it----------especially from the individual who said his tranny was slipping and not changing gears properly-------I would like to hear if it went back to normal after or did he do permanent damage.

Like I said I am just curious---I dont have an agenda to try to put them or anyone down or to try to prove a point---I hope no one did any damage to be honest with you.
Old 10-25-10, 09:25 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

No I read your post and that is why I wanted to hear more about it from others who have tried it----------especially from the individual who said his tranny was slipping and not changing gears properly-------I would like to hear if it went back to normal after or did he do permanent damage.

Like I said I am just curious---I dont have an agenda to try to put them or anyone down or to try to prove a point---I hope no one did any damage to be honest with you.
No worries...I'm with you, more feedback would be nice
Old 11-01-10, 10:10 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I made over 2500km with this mod and I´m glad I did. No problems and faster shifts, even thoe I´m about to put a shift kit when I have all things together to put a single turbo on my engine.
Maybe the people who complains only notice other trans problems when they put attention if this mod worked, not break anything because of it.
Old 11-01-10, 11:54 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am very surprised to see everyone doing this ridiculous mod.

I dont mean to offend anyone but I mean cutting the wires to your solenoids----messing with the ecu? come on.

Who knows what sort of issues or problems you may be setting yourself up for or what sort of damage you may be doing.

And for what ----a slight boost off the line -----?????

Personally I love my car too much to experiment on it like this---thanks .....but no thanks.
Hey, just want to say that this mod is not ridiculous, it works. I am the one who discovered it, on accident if I remember correctly and I was amazed at the difference.

I must also remind people that you don't need to cut any wires. Just unplug the front most speed sensor on the transmission.

Also should note that the whole point of the solenoid that is being "disabled" is to MAKE THE TRANSMISSION SLIP FOR A SMOOTH SHIFT.

Also should note that both the Supra and the SC300 (not to mention Tundra, T100, Previa, and quite a few others) have pretty much the same transmission as the SC400 and neither has this solenoid on the valve body. If damage would be caused by not having it then I would think that Toyota would have put it on everything.

I did finally kill my transmission awhile back but this was due to having twice the stock rwhp and making a couple of hundred 1/8 and 1/4 passes on what was probably already a bit tired trans. I have had it rebuilt with performance parts and I'm still running with the solenoid disconnected.

Just my thoughts...........

KC
Old 11-01-10, 02:18 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
Hey, just want to say that this mod is not ridiculous, it works. I am the one who discovered it, on accident if I remember correctly and I was amazed at the difference.

I must also remind people that you don't need to cut any wires. Just unplug the front most speed sensor on the transmission.

Also should note that the whole point of the solenoid that is being "disabled" is to MAKE THE TRANSMISSION SLIP FOR A SMOOTH SHIFT.

Also should note that both the Supra and the SC300 (not to mention Tundra, T100, Previa, and quite a few others) have pretty much the same transmission as the SC400 and neither has this solenoid on the valve body. If damage would be caused by not having it then I would think that Toyota would have put it on everything.

I did finally kill my transmission awhile back but this was due to having twice the stock rwhp and making a couple of hundred 1/8 and 1/4 passes on what was probably already a bit tired trans. I have had it rebuilt with performance parts and I'm still running with the solenoid disconnected.

Just my thoughts...........

KC
well kc first off i didnt mean to offend anyone -----but the thing is i read the whole thread front to back ---anjd there was quite a bit of negative effects from this mod from some of the people-----slipping trannies and hard shifts and so on--------but i guess to someone that might have an extra treanny laying around or someone that can easily swap their tranny out themself at a minimul cost i can see them wanting to give it a try ---but i mean to the average sc owner who wants the best for his car and wants things to have a long life i dont think this is a worthwhile mod----

again no offense---it was an interesting thread nonetheless

just my opinion is all
Old 11-01-10, 03:19 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

My trans with this mod is not suffering at all. Just quicker gearchanges, but not harsch ones. Mine has 141k miles, new motor mounts and nothing else. Feels perfect.
I live in Argentina and here I can´t have another autobox from a junkyard, not even parts! Maybe if you try...if you don´t like, just connect it again.
And if you are not interested at all, then why bother?
Old 11-01-10, 05:07 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well kc first off i didnt mean to offend anyone -----but the thing is i read the whole thread front to back ---anjd there was quite a bit of negative effects from this mod from some of the people-----slipping trannies and hard shifts and so on--------but i guess to someone that might have an extra treanny laying around or someone that can easily swap their tranny out themself at a minimul cost i can see them wanting to give it a try ---but i mean to the average sc owner who wants the best for his car and wants things to have a long life i dont think this is a worthwhile mod----

again no offense---it was an interesting thread nonetheless

just my opinion is all
Its cool man. I'm honestly not at all offended.

I really don't think that this mod will cause damage. I am 100% convinced. But, I really don't have anything other than my opinion to state.

I think that maybe, if a transmission is already somewhat worn out doing this mod might make it more obvious. Possibly if say a one-way clutch is slipping the faster / harder shift would put more pressure / shock on it making it slip more. Just a theory.

I haven't read the entire thread myself honestly, have been slacking on it. But, I think most of the results posted are on the positive side. I also think it is possible for some of the negative results guys to have pulled the wrong plug or cut the wrong wire. Just saying its possible.

KC
Old 11-01-10, 07:22 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MMCtuner
My trans with this mod is not suffering at all. Just quicker gearchanges, but not harsch ones. Mine has 141k miles, new motor mounts and nothing else. Feels perfect.
I live in Argentina and here I can´t have another autobox from a junkyard, not even parts! Maybe if you try...if you don´t like, just connect it again.
And if you are not interested at all, then why bother?
cool well im glad to see that everything has worked out well for you ----also some of the other people that have posted have said some positive things as well statiung that in the long term there hasnt really been any serious issues---good luck hope it works out-----and you must be like a rock star with the sc in argentina lol---if they are rare here i can only imagine there lol

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
Its cool man. I'm honestly not at all offended.

I really don't think that this mod will cause damage. I am 100% convinced. But, I really don't have anything other than my opinion to state.

I think that maybe, if a transmission is already somewhat worn out doing this mod might make it more obvious. Possibly if say a one-way clutch is slipping the faster / harder shift would put more pressure / shock on it making it slip more. Just a theory.

I haven't read the entire thread myself honestly, have been slacking on it. But, I think most of the results posted are on the positive side. I also think it is possible for some of the negative results guys to have pulled the wrong plug or cut the wrong wire. Just saying its possible.

KC
Yes kc your right for the most part the replies have been on the posotiuve side--the worst most have said is that they have harder shifts and harder downshifting---which if im not mistaken you told them about first off at the beginning------maybe that gentleman with the tranny slipping alrerady had an underlying issue of sorts------anyways im looking forward to hearing more replies about how it has worked out for everyone------thanks
Old 11-02-10, 05:50 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Yes, you are right =) And I´m trying to make it even better everytime I can. Where are you from?
Old 11-02-10, 06:53 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MMCtuner
Yes, you are right =) And I´m trying to make it even better everytime I can. Where are you from?
im from toronto canada and the sc's are actually quite rare as well here---u may see one every couple of weeks or so ussually bone stock-------looking forward to fixing mine up next spring
Old 11-03-10, 01:58 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

It´s broken? Sad. Well, at least you are nearer than I to get all the accesorys and replacement parts. Do the customs let you buy used stuff?
Old 12-05-10, 10:17 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

hey guess what, the 1jzgte auto has this solenoid. I pulled the pin at the ecu last night and I can now peel out in first from a stop! I'll probably do a writeup for the 1jz today sometime

Quick Reply: Want better low end performance, try this! It's free!