Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 59K engine whine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08, 03:30 PM
Glockwork3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc400 59K engine whine?

Hey guys first post here, sorry to make it about my cars problems but....
I bought this car about 2 months ago and absolutely love it. 1992 sc400 with right under 59k miles. My first problem is that it didn't come with an owners manual so i have no idea about the regular maintenance on these. I had an oil and filter change about a month ago, but as of late especially when i start my car (after letting it sit a good while) the engine whines. I would compare it to an electrical toy car i hate it sounding so cheap. It goes away after being ran for awhile, expect when i accelerate it is always audible when accelerating. Once i hit about 3k rpms the engine drowns out the noise. I am wondering as to what this noise is and what other maintenaces i should be expecting around the 60k mark.

Thanks in advance guys, looking to become a consistent poster here
Old 09-15-08, 10:20 AM
Glockwork3
Driver School Candidate

*BUMP* come on guys 34 views and nothing? where else should i seek help besides a lexus forum please reply if you have the faintest idea
Old 09-15-08, 05:19 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

souds like maybe low trans oil, and or idler pullies

oil and filter change at 5000kms (without fail)

transmission oil and filter (3.5 ltrs fluid with toyota type 4 and nothing else) aussie pan please check US pans

60mile guessing 100kms service is the big one

1UZ-FE Cam Belt Service Kit
1 x Cam Belt ( Genuine )
1 x Cam Belt Tensioner Assembly
1 x Cam Belt Tensioner
1 x Cam Belt Idler Bearing

$350 aud

power steering, coolant (genuine toyota coolant), thermostat, diff oil

whole lot about $1500 - 2000 aud to get toyota/lexus to do

*****its worth it *****

Last edited by v8soarer91; 09-15-08 at 05:21 PM. Reason: missed a bit
Old 09-15-08, 07:00 PM
Glockwork3
Driver School Candidate

any certain way i can decipher wether its trans oil or the idler pulleys? i dont want mechanics taking advantage of me.
Old 09-15-08, 08:32 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Glockwork3
any certain way i can decipher wether its trans oil or the idler pulleys? i dont want mechanics taking advantage of me.
Sorry to do it but I get offended...... I'm a mechanic and I think for the most part, we are a good bunch of guys (and the occasional gal) who don't take advantage. We're just trying to make a living like everyone else. Not saying there's not some bad apples out there but.... Also, dealership prices are high because of the overhead they have to pay but I think in general you get whay you pay for.

Anyway, to your problem. My first instinct is low power steering fluid. Did you check? Couldn't hurt to check all of the fluids while your at it. Does the noise get worse when you turn the wheel. Also check the fluid for the hydraulic fan. I imagine it might make a whining / gurgling type noise if it were low.

Idlers and such tend to growl not whine but anything is possible. Take off your drive belt and see if the noise goes away. Removing the belt can help narrow things down. If the noise is still there without the belt..possible water pump, t-belt idlers, ect..

Good luck!

KC
Old 09-16-08, 07:44 AM
Glockwork3
Driver School Candidate

ok so after looking carefully under the hood, its very obvious that whining/squeeling is coming from the belt... i'm assuming its the drive belt stated above.. (as you can tell i'm a total car novice) so could someone guide me in how to remove and put it back on to check for sure? and also would i save a good chunk of change doing this myself and is it that hard not having any prior knowledge on the matteR? Thank's a bunch guys

Last edited by Glockwork3; 09-16-08 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-17-08, 07:19 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Glockwork3
ok so after looking carefully under the hood, its very obvious that whining/squeeling is coming from the belt... i'm assuming its the drive belt stated above.. (as you can tell i'm a total car novice) so could someone guide me in how to remove and put it back on to check for sure? and also would i save a good chunk of change doing this myself and is it that hard not having any prior knowledge on the matteR? Thank's a bunch guys
14mm reverse thread bolt on the tensioner. Tensioner is, looking at the motor, above the crank pulley and to the left. Draw a picture of the pullies and belt routing if you need to.

KC