Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Please help me out

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-08, 02:27 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please help me out

Okay, I know this question has been asked about 204510552681 times, but I dont know what to do. I have two 2jz-ge motors. The one in the car has a slight knock. Dont think its a rod knock. I also have another motor that needs an oil pan. I was wondering if i could sell the two motors for around 500 and spend another 500 and get a GTE or should I just stick with the GE? I have no idea what to do. My pockets ARE NOT deep. From what I understand its pretty much a drop in. I just dont know what to do and just thought I would see what you have to say...go ahead and flame me for asking...i dont really care.
Old 09-12-08, 02:33 PM
92-gt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know if i would swap...find out what the "knock" is and fix it, if it is a rod know use your oil pan off that and put it on you extra engine and put that in..
Old 09-12-08, 04:55 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

what are the miles on the two GE's? you want to sell both for only 500? thats a bit of a steal. how about you sell one maybe the one with knock, buy an oil pan for the one you would keep, and go na-t haha
Old 09-13-08, 10:07 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

dont get me wrong, my first thought was to go NA-T, but I think it may be a little more work and money than I was thinking. Im really not looking to get that much HP out of the car maybe 350 and I think the turbo that I already have will fit it, so that should put me right at 350... $500 is a steal? I wouldnt have known that. I dont know. I just want a GTE I suppose...The ones I am looking at are VVT-I and have the SUPRA TT auto tranny...of course there is one with a 6 speed...but its 5 grand..which apparently is still a pretty good deal...but anyways. Thanks for the imput, I really needed it.
Old 09-14-08, 10:41 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not take the one with the knock out and take the pan from it and put the pan into the one that needs it and ride it out a bit longer till your pockets are deeper to do the build properly...
Old 09-14-08, 05:57 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cbrasian
why not take the one with the knock out and take the pan from it and put the pan into the one that needs it and ride it out a bit longer till your pockets are deeper to do the build properly...
That was my plan, but the motor thats in the car is the one with the knock...so if im gonna swap a motor its gonna be a GTE I hope
Old 09-14-08, 06:02 PM
TJohnson
Driver

Even if you do the swap, its not a straight 1000 bucks anyway. You are looking at another 500-1000 in misc costs easily to swap it all in. Motor mounts, gaskets, water pump, seals, and other misc parts. Yes the 1jz and 2jz gte motors are pretty easily swapped, but there are always those extra costs and other unexpected expenses that come into play.

I've done tons of research myself on the 1jz swap and with all the parts and extras that I've budgeted, to have a BPU 1jz swap done by myself w/ FMIC, new gasket and seal set, new clutch, etc etc and done PROPERLY will cost me about 3500 in parts. Thats including all electronics and all that as well, but as I'm sure you are aware, to do a swap and to do it right you can't just count on the cost of the motor alone.

I've built tons of performance cars and the people who end up with more headaches are the ones who try to do it and cut corners because of lack of money. Save it up and do it right and save yourself the countless dollars and hours it will take to do it if you dont' do it the right way the first time. No reason to do it twice
Old 09-14-08, 06:12 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TJohnson
Even if you do the swap, its not a straight 1000 bucks anyway. You are looking at another 500-1000 in misc costs easily to swap it all in. Motor mounts, gaskets, water pump, seals, and other misc parts. Yes the 1jz and 2jz gte motors are pretty easily swapped, but there are always those extra costs and other unexpected expenses that come into play.

I've done tons of research myself on the 1jz swap and with all the parts and extras that I've budgeted, to have a BPU 1jz swap done by myself w/ FMIC, new gasket and seal set, new clutch, etc etc and done PROPERLY will cost me about 3500 in parts. Thats including all electronics and all that as well, but as I'm sure you are aware, to do a swap and to do it right you can't just count on the cost of the motor alone.

I've built tons of performance cars and the people who end up with more headaches are the ones who try to do it and cut corners because of lack of money. Save it up and do it right and save yourself the countless dollars and hours it will take to do it if you dont' do it the right way the first time. No reason to do it twice
Ive done my share of research, and I have a local guy with a 800hp supra and he is a 2jz mastermind! He said he would do it for me...not free of course...but im going to pay him about 800 to get it installed...idk...im almost about to say F-it and go with the GE, sell the knocking motor and use that money to go FI...but idk...getting tough.
Old 09-15-08, 01:15 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i though your other motor "not the one with the knock" was a ge also that needs the pan and works fine if thats the case then pull the pan from the ge "one with the knock " to the one without the knock and dump that motor "the one without the knock" and ride that out till you have more than what you need to do the swap since no swap is ever striaght up